**** * ********** **, ****** Hills, MI 48326
Tel: 248-***-****, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Working status: Permanent Resident (Green Card holder)
Summary & Objective
7+ years of industrial and research projects experience in CAE (FEA, CFD): Thermal, Fluidic, Structural (Stress), Fatigue Analysis and Optimization; 5+ years of measurement of temperature, strain and stress; solid knowledge and strong analysis skills in coupled thermal, fluidic and stress problems and material constitutive modeling; 2+ US patent/method and about 20 scientific publications. Looking for new challenges as Mechanical Engineer
PhD, Manufacturing Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI), MA, GPA: 3.93/4.0, 2010
Dissertation: Numerical modeling and experimental investigation for optimization in quenching processes of aluminum and steel parts
MS, Mechanical Engineering, Oakland University (OU), Michigan, GPA: 3.86/4.0, 2007
Research areas: thermal and stress analysis, material property modeling and residual stress measurement
BS, Mechanical Design, Manufacturing and Automation, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 2004
Expertise: Thermal, fluidic, structural (stress) analysis; Optimization; Material constitutive modeling; Numerical modeling; Experimental investigation
FEA: ABAQUS; Deform; Dante; QSIM; Ansys
CFD: Fluent; CFX
Optimization: Isight; Tosca; MATLAB; DOE
Mesh: Hypermesh; Simlab; ICEM CFD; Cubit; ANSA
3D CAD: Pro/E; Unigraphics; Solidworks; AutoCAD
Computers: MS Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel); Windows (XP, Vista, 7); LINUX; UNIX
Languages: MATLAB; FORTRAN; Python; Labview; Maple; C
• Engine Analyst, Optimal CAE, GM Powertrain Head & Block Analysis, Pontiac, MI, Jan 2011 - Present
Developing methods and conducting modeling to analyze and optimize design and manufacturing of General Motors Engines in the aspects of thermal stresses, residual stresses, engine operational stresses, fatigue/durability, etc. More specifically, my assignments include:
1. Engine Head & Block Thermal, Durability and Fatigue FEA Analysis and Optimization
2. Engine Gasket Durability and Fatigue: FEA Method Development and Analysis
3. Engine Head, Block, etc., Heat Treatment (Residual Stress) Analysis and Optimization
4. Material Constitutive Modeling and Development
Filed a GM internal method (#: P014080) and are preparing a few more GM internal methods.
• Research Scientist, Caterpillar Champaign Simulation Center, Champaign, IL, May 2010- Jan 2011
Conducted numerical modeling and simulations to analyze and optimize manufacturing processes such as metal forging, forming, heat treating, etc. - Developed a new version of Caterpillar internal heat treating tool, QSIM2010, by using ABAQUS FILM, USDFLD and other subroutines. - Conducting various heat treating simulations for different Caterpillar steel products. - Conducting research work in optimizing metal forging process to reduce material utilization and increase fatigue performance.
• Research Assistant, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA, Aug 2007-May 2010
--CHTE (Center for Heat Treating Excellence) High Pressure Hydrogen Quenching (HPHQ) Project
Led a research team to investigate heat transfer, microstructure and distortion in HPHQ to justify its advantage compared to oil quenching by numerical modeling ( CFD, FEA ) and experimental measurement (temperature, hardness). - CFD simulations. - Developed Python codes. - Performed FEA (ABAQUS, Dante) simulations to predict microstructure, distortion and stress of quenched work piece.
--GM Aluminum Alloy Air Quenching (Heat Treating) Project
Led a research team to analyze heat transfer, material evolution and residual stress in quenched engine block castings. - Designed and conducted forced air quenching experiments. - Inversely determined temperature-dependent HTC and constructed a HTC database. - Developed ABAQUS user subroutines FILM for accurate thermal modeling, and UMAT for material property modeling. - Conducted residual stress measurements for validation of user subroutines. - Filed a patent as the major inventor to obtain accurate HTC distribution.
• Research Assistant, Oakland University, Rochester Hills, MI, Aug 2005-Aug 2007
--GM Aluminum Alloy Water Quenching (Heat Treating) Project
Researched heat transfer, material evolution and residual stress in quenched engine head castings. Temperature measurement. –Abaqus simulation and user subroutine development. –Residual Stress measurement.
--Residual Stress Measurement Using Strain Gauge Rosette, OU, 2005-2007
Improved measurement accuracy. Developed a data process program with user-friendly GUI in MATLAB.
• Internship, Vehicle Plant, Shanghai General Motors, Co., Ltd. Shanghai, China, Summer 2003
Learned advanced processes of automotive body manufacturing and others and updated process documents.
US Patent (with GM) and GM internal method
• "Systems and Methods for Predicting Heat Transfer Coefficients during Quenching" (Pub #, US2011/0098989, GM internal Docket NO. - P008777-PTC-CHE)
• “Modeling of Residual Stress and Distortion of Aluminum Castings during Aging Process” (GM Tool/Method/Secret #: P014080)
Journal Papers (first authored 8 of 9 papers)
• EI, (2009), "Residual Stresses in as-Quenched Aluminum Castings", SAE IJMM, 1(1) pp. 725-731.
• SCI, (2011), "Automatic Determination and Evaluation of Residual Stress …", Strain, 47(s1), pp. e525-534
• EI, (2011), "Hardenability and Distortion Control in High Pressure Hydrogen Quenching," IJMR, 6(1) pp. 1-14
• SCI, (2011), "An Experimental Study of Heat Transfer … Air Convection", JMEP, 20(7), pp. 1264–1270
• SCI, (2010), "An Experimental Study of Heat Transfer in … Water Quenching", JMPT,210(14), pp. 2023–2028
• SCI, (2010), "Robust methodology for … heat transfer coefficient …," ATE, 30(17), pp. 2815-2821
• SCI, (2011), "Numerical Simulation & Experimental … of Residual Stresses …", JMEP, 20(9), pp. 1648-1657
• SCI, (2011), "Prediction and Validation of Residual Stresses …," Metallurgical Transactions A, (submitted)
• SCI, (2011), "Influencing Factors of Heat Transfer Coefficient …," JAI, 8(4), DOI: 10.1520/JAI103403, pp.
First authored 6 of 10 papers in SAE, SEM, TMS, AFS, ICTPMCS, IFHTSEC conference proceedings.