Relevant Professional Accounting Designations
• Chartered Accountant- CA Ontario, Canada 2003
• Certified Public Accountant –CPA Colorado, USA 1998
• Chartered Accountant- CA India 1993
• H & R Block Tax course Toronto 2001
• Presently enrolled in CIA course Toronto 2009
(Certified internal Auditor)
• Over 11 years’ of relevant high quality experience in internal auditing, planning, conducting and leading reviews, compliance, value for money and enterprise-wide audits, financial and operational audits, audit follow-ups, Business risk assessment and Risk Management and special investigations.
• Extensive experience in Project management, providing strategic advice on control strategies, application of accounting policies, standards and financial management principles; developing strategic framework using financial and accounting knowledge; budgeting, forecasting, and treasury management, external and internal financial & treasury reporting, financial and variance analysis.
• Proven track record in developing and implementing control systems, good governance, sound business practices, changes management and performance measurement, Corporate Finance and Control Strategic/Operational planning.
• Successfully establishing and maintaining relationships with the customer groups, stakeholders, industry groups, representatives of regulated entities and government branches.
• Excellent leadership, analytical, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills e.g. briefing senior management, Board Members and other staff.
• Superior organizational, negotiation, consulting and influencing ability to resolve issues and gain acceptance of action plans.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Generally Accepted Auditing Standards, audit practices and standards relating to internal controls over financial reporting.
• Ability to research and analyze complex business problems.
• Advanced problem solving and sound decision-making skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft office products, SAP R/3-FI, JD Edwards, Hyperion Reporting, Sun Accounting, AS-400, Simply accounting, Quick books and MYOB.
Professional Work Experience
• Planned, lead, supervised and conducted wide range of financial audits e,g. Bank audits, regulatory audits, compliance audit, balance sheet audits, revenue and concurrent audits as a partner in CA firm in India for over seven years.
• Led two successful implementation of ACCPAC, initiated migration from a semi automated to a fully integrated accounting system within 2 months. Developed accounting policy and provided training and support to staff.
• Disseminated risk management knowledge amongst key front line staff across and countries / offices of Emirates airlines, as a follow through to workshop conducted for senior management.
• Planning, Leading and conducting Compliance, Value-for-Money, Enterprise-wide Audits, Reviews, Financial & Operational Audits, Follow up audits, consultancy and investigations of client Ministries in Internal Audit Division, Ontario Ministry of Finance.
• Planning, conducting Retail Sales Tax field audits for large/medium sized corporations/ clients, raising assessment, and finalizing audit reports in RST Department of Ministry of Revenue.
• Interpreting and administering legislation, identifying non-compliance and resolving compliance problems of vendors under audit.
• Managing audit relationship with clients including discussions and promoting understanding and acceptance of audit findings
• Prioritizing tasks, writing audit reports, creating and reviewing spreadsheets and access data.
Financial Management and Reporting
• In JTI McDonald, Toronto Prepared budgets, updated budgets in forecaster, Daily, weekly & monthly cash forecast, daily cash flow, investment of funds, financial analysis and variance analysis, analyzed financial statements & accounting records, PST, GST and QST returns, updated excel sheets, looked after treasury, external & internal weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting for treasury and inventory.
• Reviewed and analyzed financial statements and performance reports; redesigned management reports to include non financial measures and key financial indicators.
• Responsible for full cycle accounting and management reporting, billing, collections.
Risk Management and Mitigation
• Mitigated risk of flawed large customer/vendor on-boarding process resulting in revenue leakage and loss of business, by ongoing monitoring and evaluation of processes, implementing checks and balances.
• Devised models to provide assurance of the integrity of external data dumps into accounting system, to mitigate identified risk of possible system/manual failures.
• Established integrity controls and streamlined reporting processes relating to credit control operations at Emirate Airlines, Dubai.
• Minimized risks of loss due to insurance and data loss by constant oversight over policies, coverage and data management and back up routines.
Organization Position From To
Ministry of Finance, Internal Audit Div. Risk& Assurance Consultant June 08 Present
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ministry of Revenue, Toronto Tax Office, RST Field Auditor June 06 May 08
JTI McDonald Inc, Toronto,
Ontario, Canada Financial Analyst Dec 01 May 06
Emirates Airlines, Dubai,
United Arab Emirates Credit Analyst June 98 March 01
S Bhatnagar & Co
New Delhi, India Partner April 93 Feb 01