PRAKASH P. DEO
Richardson, TX 75082.
Status: Permanent Resident
C.E. Chartered Engineer
M.S. Elect. Engg. (Semiconductors), State University of New York, Binghamton, NY
M.Tech Elect. Engg. (Power Systems), Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai, India
B.Sc. Elect. Engg. Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
Areas of Specialization
Design and testing of switches, contactors, circuit breakers, UPS systems, panels using PLC’s, Battery systems for electric cars, design of tools for pressed and molded parts, design of assembly jigs and fixtures.
2011 Senior Electrical Engineer, Vantage Vehicle International Inc, Corona, CA
• Looking after the design and testing of the electrical components required in the electric vehicle using AutoCAD 2009.
2004-2009 Consultant Engineer, Pune, India.
• Visiting Professor at three institutes at Pune, Maharashtra covering the subjects of Electrical Machine Design and Power System in one institute, Electronics in another institute and Quality Control, Selection Installation, Commissioning and Maintenance of Electrical Equipment in third institute.
• Invited by the committee of principals of Polytecnics of Maharashtra to discuss the revision of syllabus for the courses in electrical engineering
• Advised maintenance contractor on maintenance of lighting fixtures on national highway linking Pune to Satara in Maharashtra, India.
• Advised a company on building a panel to keep essential unit running on state power supply or the generator power supply.
• Technical Advisor to panel manufacturer in Talegaon, Maharashtra.
2002-2004 Production Manager, TechnoVision Energy Pvt. Ltd, Pune, India.
• Looked after production and general running of industry
• Established test facilities for doing type & routine tests on UPS units
• Responsible for getting factory certified to ISO 9001:2000
• Introduced 7 digit coding for all raw material, semi-finished & finished goods.
2000-2002 Manager Business Development, Wavelet Technologies India Ltd, Pune, India.
• Developed business for hardware and software items in India
2000 General Manager, Ecosolar Systems (India) Ltd., Pune, India
• Designed Cadmium Photocell production process using AutoCAD 2000 and developing coating process line
• Looked after manufacture of solar water heaters, solar lighting systems, solar cooking systems and general running of the industry.
1999 Electrical Engineer, Tigerflow Systems, Dallas, Texas
• Designed control and power panels for water supply systems using AutoCAD 14.
• Tested and debugged production problems in panels.
1997-1998 Electrical Engineer, Commonwealth Scientific Corp., Alexandria, VA
• Designed control and power panels for silicon chip processing units using AutoCAD 13 for customers like IBM, Samsung
• Produced the mechanical designs of the panels including mounting arrangements for units in panels, cable gland mount, meters etc using AutoCAD 13
• Tested and debugged the production problems in panels
1996-1997 Sr. Engineer, Rapid Power Technologies, Brookfield, CT
• Designed power supply units for dc supplies at 12 V, 600 A, using dc inversion unit at incoming side and high frequency inverter-converter unit using high frequency transformer
• Improved working of power supply units with zero current/voltage designs to reduce harmonics, heating and volume of units
• Designed and tested heavy current power supplies including PCB design
• Designed switchmode and reactorless heavy current power supplies giving 13500 amps at 110 V dc for copper smelting plant
• IEC specifications for dc supply units.
1985-1994 Manager, Deoson Industries, Pune, India
• Designed, developed, manufactured and marketed miniature circuit breaker and electronic voltage protection systems.
• Designed tools for components including thermoplastic, thermosetting plastic components and sheet metal components.
• Managed production, quality control, purchase of materials required for mcb and electronic systems.
• Developed supplier base for all items, sub assemblies.
• Administered factory finance, PLA and balance sheet of the company
1975-1985 Works Manager, Hindustan Klockner Switchgear Ltd, Mumbai, India.
• Developed Contactors, thermal differential relay for protection of motor starters.
• Developed loom and limit switches for panels for drives
• Managed production, planning, SQC, tooling, purchase of raw materials, sub-assemblies.
• Administered factory finances, accounting and labor problems
1973-1975 Senior Development Engineer, Electric Control, Ahmedabad, India
• Designed and developed molded case circuit breakers
1970-1973 Junior Engineer, Larsen & Toubro Ltd., Mumbai, India.
• Developed integral mechanism switch fuse units
• Developed HRC fuses for protection of semiconductor equipment
• Designed resistors and reactors for doing short circuit tests at 50 kA, 415 V, 50 Hz system
• Conducted short circuit tests on fuses, switches, circuit breakers.
• Developed special surface treatment for switchgear & panels supplied to textile and pharmaceutical industries
Patents Two patents for design of miniature circuit breakers and one patent for pulse charging circuit for battery
Publications Authored two books on Power System Analysis and Stability Published by Technical Publications, Pune, India. Two books, ‘Electrical Machine Design’ and ‘Solid State Drives’ given to publisher for publication.
Membership M.I.E. Member, Institution of Engineers (India)