Accomplished senior executive with extensive multi-site, international experience in manufacturing, sales, marketing, strategic planning, and continuous improvement. Demonstrated ability to implement world class lean manufacturing cultures, Toyota production systems, Six Sigma teams, and ISO quality systems. Deeply accomplished in strengthening competitive advantage by containing costs of products and processes. Strong expertise in hands on leadership, mentoring, and team-building skills. Seasoned change agent. Experienced in high growth, turnaround and work out situations. Solid manufacturing experience in stamping, welding, fabrication, brazing, machining, assembly, tubing and finishing processes. Experienced in plant closings, start ups, consolidations, and acquisitions. Successful in contract negotiations with major customers and vendors. Willing to travel and/or relocate.
2010 – Present – Electrolux, Springfield, TN
Director of Manufacturing
Manufacturing director for a $1.2B plant in the Major Appliance-Cooking Division, a $7B international appliance manufacturer with 2700 full time and contract workers. Responsible for production, engineering, quality, materials, and distribution of seven product lines. Develop and implement annual budget, operating plan and four year strategic plan. Oversight of capital projects and process improvements
. ISO certified.
• Improved EBIT 38% through lean improvements, automation projects, and improved sourcing strategies.
• Lowered inventories from 22 to 9 days using vendor managed inventories, WIP reduction and improved flow management
• Lowered chemical costs 23% by implementing chemical metering systems and renegotiating vendor contracts
• Successful launch of new Kenmore product line with 48 new SKU’s on time and under budget using DFM management tools
2007-2010 – Luvata Heatcraft, Grenada, MS
Complete P&L responsibility for a $120M plant in the Heat Transfer Systems Division of Luvata, a $4B diversified corporation. Two business units with 1050 employees. Responsible for manufacturing and distribution of heat transfer components used in HVAC applications to the residential, commercial, automotive, heavy truck, aerospace, and refrigeration markets. Developed and implemented annual business plan and three year strategic plan. Deployed strategic and operational plans throughout the organization. Oversight of capital plans, product development and financial planning. ISO9000 and TS16949 certified by UL.
• Increased EBITDA from 7.3% to 14.6% using lean improvements, vendor management, low cost country sourcing, and process improvements.
• Improved quality PPM to customers by 25% and internal reject rates by 30% through 100% leak testing, improved operator quality checks, and implementing jidoka.
• Lowered lead times to customers by 25% for existing product and 75% for new products by improving processes, using fast track flow lanes for expedited requests and SMED projects.
• Achieved One Million man hours without a lost time accident through training, incentive systems, and a robust preventive action process.
• Introduced three new product lines on time and within capital and operational budgets.
• Improved customer service levels from 86% OTD to 97% OTD through lean best practices, strategy deployment tools, and alignment of sales and manufacturing resources.
• Improved inventory turns from 9.9 to 17.2 using vendor consignment programs, kanban systems, and flow management.
2005 – 2007 – Precision Tool Group, Auburn, MA
Complete P&L responsibility for an $80M division of Precision Castparts, a $5B diversified corporation. Six global manufacturing sites located in the US (3), India, China, and Ireland with 650 employees. Responsible for global sales, marketing, manufacturing, and distribution of tooling for the fastener industry used in automotive, aerospace and general industrial applications. Develop and implement annual business plan, policy deployment, and quarterly reporting of results to the corporation. Oversee financial planning, capital investments, product development and strategic partnerships. Member of board of directors of joint venture with Kadimi Tools, located in Delhi. TS16949 and ISO9000 certified by QMI.
• Increased EBIT from 4.5% to 13.5% through lean implementation, vendor management, policy deployment and successful transition of commodity products to low cost manufacturing centers
• Increased sales per employee by 14% through lean implementation, kaizen events, outsourcing of non-critical processes, and automation projects
• Improved quality PPM by 35% through Six Sigma projects to reduce process variability, upgrading quality inspection methods and kansei engineering.
• Increased sales by $9M (13%) in 12 months through sales training, new product introductions and enhancements, updating brand management, and adding Asian sales structure to the organization
• Improved customer service levels 40% by implementing strategy deployment at all levels of the organization, standardizing lean best practices and implementing a global ERP system (SyteLine)
2000 – 2005 – Parker Hannifin Corporation, Cleveland, OH
2004 – 2005 – International Operations Manager, Memphis, TN
Complete P&L responsibility for a $90M business unit of the Climate and Industrial Controls Group of Parker Hannifin, a $10B diversified corporation. Responsible for 4 global manufacturing sites, located in the US, Mexico, Czech Republic and China with 450 employees. Responsible for global sales, product development, marketing, manufacturing and distribution of HVAC components, including receiver driers, accumulators, hose assemblies, and TXV’s. Tier 1 and Tier 2 supplier to the automotive, heavy truck, refrigeration and commercial and unitary AC markets.
• Increased net earnings from 8% to 15% through opening of a low cost manufacturing site in Shanghai, lean improvements, policy deployment (Hoshin Kanri) and improving process capabilities.
• Increased sales per employee by 10% through lean improvements, kaizen events, cellular manufacturing implementation, and automation of product testing.
• Improved inventory turns from 10 to 18 by using vendor management, kanban systems, and managing total number of SKU’s.
• Increased sales $16M through system selling, value pricing strategies, and integrating sales and product development teams.
2000 – 2004 – Operations Manager, Booneville, MS
Complete P&L responsibility for a $60M manufacturing plant of the Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Division with 300 employees. Responsible for sales, manufacturing and distribution of receiver driers and accumulators for the HVAC industry. Tier 1 and Tier 2 supplier to the automotive, heavy truck, and unitary AC markets. TS16949 certified by ASME.
• Increased net earnings from 9% to 15% through value stream alignment, lean systems integration, and cellular manufacturing.
• Improved inventory turns from 8 to 25 through the use of vendor management programs, improved throughput using lean tools, and kanban systems
• Awarded largest Tier 1 automotive accumulator platform in automotive history (GMT900 - $18M)
• Increased sales per employee 15% through set up reduction, kaizen events, and value stream map projects
1994 – 2000 – Hughes Parker Industries, Lawrenceburg, TN
1999 – 2000 – Director of Operations
Complete P&L responsibility for a $40M division of JMAC, a subsidiary of Worthington Industries with 250 employees. Responsible for sales, manufacturing, and distribution for four southeastern manufacturing sites. Tier 1 and Tier 2 supplier to the automotive, HVAC, recreational vehicle, heavy truck, and appliance industries. Develop and implement annual business plan and provide monthly reporting to out of state parent company.
• Successfully completed acquisition of a tubing process company
• Increased EBIT from 5% to 12% through plant consolidations, consolidation of vendors, and waste reduction teams.
• Increased sales 10% (excluding acquisition) in 12 months through restructuring of sales rep network, new product and process introductions and value added assemblies
1996 – 1999 – Plant Manager
Manager of manufacturing plant with stamping, fabrication, welding and assembly divisions with 150 employees and $20MM in sales. Supplier of stampings and fabricated assemblies to the automotive, HVAC, Class 8 trucks, appliance, recreational vehicle, and outdoor products industries.
• Installed QS9000 quality system, registrar, Underwriters Laboratory. Chairman of QS9000 steering committee at corporate level.
• Implemented Manman ERP system
• Increased EBIT from 8% to 13% through scrap reduction projects, set up reduction teams, and kaizen events
• Increased inventory turns from 3 to 14 through consignment programs, throughput improvement projects, and WIP control systems
1994 – 1996 – Plant Manager
Manager of manufacturing plant with e-coat, powder coat, and wet paint processes, with 75 production employees and $8MM in sales.
• Increased sales per employee by 20% by re-engineering processes
• Implemented environmentally friendly finishing systems that replaced wet paint systems
• Developed and implemented automotive inspection standards in partnership with Saturn
• Introduced value added secondary assembly processes that increased EBIT by 20%
1988 – 1994 – Gold Mine Industries, Lawrenceburg, TN
Director of Operations
Complete operational responsibility for diversified manufacturing, retail, wholesale, and real estate divisions with 4 locations in two states
• Increased revenues 18% (CAGR), excluding acquisitions
• Successful implementation of company wide information systems
Belhaven University, Jackson, MS
BS, Business Administration – Honors Graduate – 3.75 GPA
International Business Development – Thunderbird School of Global Management
Strategy Deployment Facilitator Training – Lean Horizons
Lean Enterprise Leadership – Lean Enterprise Institute
Six Sigma Deployment – Sigmax Solutions
Six Sigma Green Belt Training – Sigmax Solutions
Lean Manufacturing – University of Tennessee, Center for Industrial Studies
Electrocoat Applications, University of Wisconsin
SPC Theory and Applications – Columbia State College
Strategic Financial Analysis – Marquette University
American Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS)
Mississippi Manufacturers Association
Lean Enterprise Institute
Precision Metalforming Association
Mayor, City of Lawrenceburg, 1992-1996
Board of Directors, South Central Tennessee Development District
Former President - Rotary Club
Member, First United Methodist Church