To create an innovative system of operations that showcases a performing arts venue both small and large.
Technical Direction and supervision of services for events from developing concepts, planning strategies of implementation, logistics, publicity, primarily interfacing with the general public and staff, evaluating and reporting event operations.
I aim to create an “experience” for the audience through powerful presentations and stage performances. I believe that live entertainment is one of the best ways for the artist and audience to connect and I place high values on that connection.
Technical Director / House Engineer – Contractor / The Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts
Whittier College 1993 - Present
Oversee the technical requirements for events in the Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts. Supporting all audio, visual system requirements, while maintaining the highest level of customer service both internal and external venue. Directing technical staging, audio recording, live sound reinforcement, presentation technology, video recording, lighting and other technical needs, both on and off site. Serving not only the students and staff, but also the entire community at large.
* Oversee and manage the technical requirements for events contracted in Club 88, Campus Center, Villalobos Hall, Ruth B. Shannon Center, Residents Halls, ballrooms and outside facilities
* Supervised a staff of 20-25 lighting, sound, and video technicians for theatrical and concert productions, classes, and special live events across the Whittier campus.
* Supervise classes and events in the classrooms, auditoriums, theaters and event spaces of the residence halls
* Work with WCFD, WCPD, LAFD, LAPD agencies including the LA County Fire Marshall with regard to event preparation and safety.
* Created scaled floor maps of all non-classroom events
* Working with users to address Audio Visual and Technology needs including projection, lighting, sound, and computer connectivity.
* Advisor for ResTV for television productions for the Whittier community including recording of live events and assisting with rehearsed event production.
* Responsible for purchase of new equipment as needed and for maintaining equipment inventory of over 30 locations and equipment rooms.
* Support of small and large scale audio needs for classes, movie productions, concerts and other large scale events using multitrack audio mixers like Yamaha PM5D and Venue Profile System mixers, Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro, BBE Maximize and Equalizers, and various professional amplifiers and PA speakers including JBL, EAW, ION, Mackie, Bose, large and small array systems.
Whittier College LEAP Department / Office of the Dean of students
* Oversee 6 computer labs with a total of 200 desktop and laptops combined
* Project Manager in designing, upgrading, maintaining and purchasing of all university “smart” classroom and event spaces with advanced projectors and media systems such as AMX, Panja, Creston Extron and Smart Panel Controls
* Either work with vendors to integrate technology into classrooms/event spaces or personally install the technology into these spaces, ex. Projectors and PA systems and radio broadcasting installation.
* Supervise, design, maintain 40+ classrooms and event spaces incorporating AV/IT equipment, including built in Public Address amplified systems, various types of overhead and data projectors, and peripheral multimedia equipment.
* Supervise technology needs for class and events including 20 Graduate student workers
* Setup and maintain university video conferencing unit (Polycom) and online classroom/conferencing technology (elluminate)
* Meet with users/groups and assist with audio and video preproduction, recording and postproduction, including using cameras, audio recorders and other devices for post event editing and redistribution to DVD, Audio CD or online media content
* Advisor for the university Media Services by instituting the knowledge and ability to encode, transcode, edit and output audio and video into various digital and analog formats for various purposes such as online content and DVD production using programs like Final Cut Pro, ProTools 10, Adobe Premier Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Sony Vegas Studio, iMove, etc.
* Administrate university Event Management System (EMS).
* Work with Key server for license administration.
* Work with DeepFreeze and McAfee AntiVirus for computer security and tracking
Sound Supervisor / Sound Designer / Virtual Mixer 1994 – Present
Collaborating with producers and staff on sound design, ADR recording and virtual mixing for Television and Motion Pictures, documentaries, independent films, both local and corporate commercials and training films.
Primetime Emmy Awards / Outstanding Editing for a Series: Millennium "Owls"
MPSE Golden Reel Awards / Best Sound Editing: Millennium "1919"
MPSE Golden Reel Awards / Best Sound Editing: Millennium "Beware of the Dog"
Mr. Maupin has worked with Walt Disney Imagineering, Walt Disney Entertainment Division, Sony Pictures, RH Factor and numerous independent Film Productions. He has been nominated for and Emmy Award and multiple Golden Reel Awards for best sound for a Motion Picture / Television Series. He is currently working on independent Films such as “On the Shoulders of Giants”. “Storm Wars” “Bro” Trailer / Theatrical release. “Supremacy” “Good Boy” The Last Sentinel, Pulse, The Triangle (Mini Series), Kids in America, Love Comes Softly, Half Past Dead, and other projects with various studios in the Southern California area.
Post Sound Supervisor / Walt Disney Imagineering 1999 – 2001
Design and installation of Disney’s California Adventure Theme Park
Utilized outstanding communication skills to interact with a diverse audience, build rapport, being a member of a development team problem solving solutions and assimilate and resolve client needs and expectations.
Worked as a team leader to provide service, information and to create an inclusive client environment for the following:
Robert Mondovi - Seasons of the vine/ 5.1 Surround Venue, Boudin Bakery - Tour / Drawn to Animation / The Beast Library Interactive / Ursula’s Grotto - Animation - Interactive / Soarin’ - Ride Adventure.
Technical Director / Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science/ “Jazz at Drew” Music Festival 1995 – 2007
Manage fiscal allocation for operations of all staging and artist accommodations. Manage Vendors, Artists relations, Staffing, audio/video operations. Post event evaluation team leader; review the high lights and problem areas of the events providing support and solutions information to be considered during the next years’ event sessions. 10 thousand attendees for a two-day festival
* Providing instruction and direction to crew members in all facets of Event technology for this annual event
* Working with a variety of talent in a friendly and professional manner, to understand the specific needs of each performer, and to provide top quality service to meet those needs.
* Operation, and maintenance / repair of audio reinforcement and playback equipment, including, but not limited to control consoles, audio and effects processing, amplifiers, speakers, microphones, cables, recording in both audio and video domains.
* Stage and entertainment lighting equipment and operation including, but not limited to power distribution, dimming and control systems, stage lighting fixture usage and maintenance and intelligent lighting fixture operation and maintenance.
Technical Director of a ten-day multiple city jazz tour of South Africa, with US delegates of the world AIDS conference. During the 1999 AIDS conference held in Durbin, South Africa, although faced with numerous unexpected delays and program changes, we provided a wonderful sounding and visual experience to the thousands of viewers and attendees.
University of Sound Arts
Business Management / Digital Audio Mixing and editing/ Advance Event Technology
DeVry Institute of Technology
Associate of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology
Skills and Specialties:
Solid background in electronics system design, event technology, and audio system signal flow and advance electronic wiring. Managing and hiring crews, wellspring of knowledge in system design for both soft and hard installations (Disney Theme Parks), lecture halls and 5.1 surround venues, and audio and recording mixer for all formats. Event planning and problem solving specializing in Live Concerts, Live broadcasting, Award Shows, Banquettes, Tours and Staging, Trade Shows, Video Conferences, Web Cast, Streaming, Production sound for Film, Television and Documentaries, Post-Production sound editorial and design, ADR, virtual mixer from Conception to completion: Extensive knowledge of PC and Mac platforms. Final Cut Pro 8, DVD Studio, Motion and Adobe Photoshop, Pro-Tools HD3 and Pro-Tools 10 systems, Yamaha PM5D and Venue Profile System mixers. Knowledge of event set-up and breakdown of large array systems and smaller systems any size venue.
Awards and Recognition:
“Thea Award” for the best Theme Park Concept Design and Installation / Disney’s California Adventures / WDI Team
The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences – Primetime Emmy Awards Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series
Motion Picture Sound Editors – The Golden Reel Award For Outstanding Achievement in the Motion Picture And Television
Senior Event Technologist
* Mr. Maupin has worked with Walt Disney Imagineering, on a 40 person team that designed and installed California Adventures Theme Park from conception to completion
* He has been nominated for and Emmy Award and multiple Golden Reel Awards for best sound for a Motion Picture / Television Series.
* Jarmil specializes in Event Technology for live concerts, live broadcasting, award shows, banquettes, tours and staging, trade shows, video conferences, web cast, streaming, production sound for film, radio, television and documentaries, post-production sound editorial and design, ADR, virtual mixer, AV installations from conception to completion:
* The Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts, Whittier, California; where Jarmil teaches sound design, audio, staging techniques and oversees and manages the technical requirements for classrooms and contracted events campus wide.
* We’ve created the longest running Hawaiian music series in the World
* He has successfully built up a clientele such as “Jazz at Drew”, the Annual African Renaissance Festival, Durban, South Africa, the Santa Monica Pier Concert Series, NAMI Walk LA, Latin Jazz Festival, Cal State LA Lecture and Health Series (Pat Brown Institute), the American Cancer Foundation / Relay for life
* He has currently worked on independent films such as “On the Shoulders of Giants” Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. “Storm Wars” “Bro” Trailer - Theatrical release. “Supremacy” “Good Boy” The Last Sentinel, Pulse, The Triangle (Mini Series), Kids in America, Love Comes Softly, Half Past Dead, and other projects with various studios in the Southern California area.
* Jarmil brings an overriding sense of quality to his work - Quality in sound, quality in attitude, quality in visual aesthetics, and quality in sharing his knowledge.
* We pride ourselves on the commitment to excellences in service, support and solutions.
Senior Event Technology Specialist for the following events:
Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts / Whittier College 20 consecutive years
“Longest running Hawaiian music series in the Nation”
SGI-USA 26 consecutive years / Culture Festivals and Events in the South Land
Senior Event Technologist
Jazz at Drew / Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science 12 consecutive years
Santa Monica Pier Concert Series 10 consecutive years
NAMI Walk / 8 consecutive years
American Cancer Foundation / Relay For Life
Latin Jazz Festival
Japan Youth Culture Festival
2nd Annual African Renaissance Festival (Durban South Africa)
African World Music Festival (Cape Town South Africa)
The After Grammy Party /Special Events
Senior Event Technologist