James E. Smeltzer
OBJECTIVE To work for a company in a challenging position where I can use and expand my skills for the improvement of manufacturing processes and business systems.
• Currently working on BA in Business / Project Management.
• Six Sigma Green Belt training thru ASQ.
• TQM, Fort Wayne-Lean Training
• ASQ- CQT and Senior Member
• IUSB-Internal Auditing ISO 9000/TS 16949
• Software: Mini-Tab, Microsoft Office, Basic Auto-Cad, Adobe Pro.
• Purdue North Central-Industrial Engineering.
• Green Generalist Cert.-Purdue
• Ford Fairlane Center, Dearborn, MI. GDT, FMEA and PPAP.
• IKON South Bend, IN. Certification in Lotus, Excel, CNA and Advanced CNA.
Career Transitions / Contract Quality Jan 2012-Present
Update control plans from preproduction to production level. Review measurement methods to update needs and changes. Review customer specs to ensure compliance. Update and create work instructions/methods as needed. Gage R&R’s, design needed fixture’s. Develop incoming inspection plans and review PPAP’s documentation. Inspect returned and in process parts to determine root cause.
Symmetry Medical, SSGB / S.Q.E. Aug 2007-Aug 2009
Quality Project Coordinator/SQE for Symmetry Medical Malaysia. Set up Quality systems and work with Symmetry Medical Malaysia, internal and customers with submissions and PPAP’s. Advise on quality and manufacturing process issues/improvements.
• Supplier Quality for Out Vend Products. Work with machining suppliers to resolve issues and create working partnerships.
Volt USA. Jan 2007-Aug 2007
• Sr. Manufacturing Specialist, M.E. for Transmission and PC Valve at Caterpillar Joliet, IL. Work as team member on several improvement projects that dealt with internal, external and international plants. Implement process improvements.
• Resolve issue with hydraulic pistons in the center less grinding cell.
• Hydraulic fluid flow- Multi Plant, testing procedures and correct valve selection.
• Assembly Issues, in process improvements lowered rework by 90%.
• Cutting fluid cost in Aluminum machine cell, coolant selection and sump life.
• Material in castings-multi plant, overseas. Decreased returns and rework by 85%.
• Cell process mapping, increased available operator time by 30%.
Symmetry Medical, SSGB / QE December 2004-October 2006
• Lead Six Sigma project teams thru several successful projects resulting in cost savings and reduction of in process times.
• Review customer/process prints for quality, gauging needs, inspection methods, manufacturability and quotations.
• Work with customers and venders to find solutions for product opportunities.
• Cutting Fluids, decreased cost and increased sump life x12.
• Burr Reduction, decreased hand deburr operation by 80% and decreased scrap.
• Straightening Process, decreased in process rework by 75%.
• Multi Axis Machining, Decreased machine steps and improved thru put.
• Quoting time to Approval, From 23 days to 4days.
• Laser Engraving, decrease time consuming machine engrave to laser.
Federal Mogul/AE Pistons, Prototype Quality March 1993- Dec 2004
South Bend, IN.
• Set up quality functions and processes, PPAP’s for new product.
• Program CMM, Tally Rand ovality system, Surfcorder Surface Ra., Zeiss Surface Profiler.
• PPAP-Full layout and customer documentation of parts.
• Usage/setup of standard measuring devices and electronic gauging.
• Design and ordering of gauging.
• Prototype Quality rep on transferring Diesel Piston cell to South Bend plant.
Cole Products, Head Floor Inspector Feb 1992-March 1993
Michigan City, IN.
• First piece layout, in process inspection and receiving inspection.
• Set up master piece inspection system.
Howmet Corporation, Inspection/Rework 1989-1991
• In process inspection of parts, FPI and X-ray inspection.
• Weld prep and rework.
• Design gage presets for product line.
ACTIVITIES Committee Chair-Troop 321-Woodbadge Training Staff, Various District training positions for youth and adult leaders.LNT Trainer.
NRA Certified Range Officer/Rifle Instructor
Past District Director-Indiana Jaycee’s
Interest: Family, Golf, Computers and Woodworking, Community Service.