• Extensive experience analyzing and applying technical solutions to business problems.
• 14 years in a managerial role in commercial IT with emphasis on infrastructure and architectural design.
• Built and managed to $3.2 million budgets with responsibility for forecasting and project cost tracking.
• Managed IT professionals including system architects, system administrators, technical programmers, and operations personnel across two data centers.
• Managed and met business goals of architectural changes of hardware and software systems within a functioning production environment with no business impact.
• Proven success managing to goals of ISO27001.
• Broad technical knowledge of infrastructure with sufficient expertise to guide architectural design and technology acquisition decisions.
• Knowledge of high availability production environments and redundancy requirements for protection from local and widely dispersed disasters.
• Extensive experience with large Oracle database administration (to 3.5TB), large Unix server farm administration (to 16 hosts, 264 cores), large Windows server farms (300 physical servers, 60 VMware instances), enterprise backup systems, alerting and monitoring systems, production scheduling systems.
• Extensive knowledge of techniques to improve stability and reliability in large enterprise production environments.
Ricoh Americas Corporation, Lawrenceville Georgia (HQ in West Caldwell New Jersey)
$3.5 billion annual revenue in US market.
Sr. Manager of Functional Support and Development Services (1/11 – 10/11)
Responsible for infrastructure project portfolio of over 30 active IT projects across all divisions of the company.
• Manage team of 8 senior engineers who function as internal consultants to the business and who architect new systems, write the engineering documents and draft IT persons with specialized skills into virtual project teams to complete the project.
• Manage $1 million budget and develop and manage each of the project budgets.
• Analyzed business requirements, compared vendors, and negotiated contracts and SLAs for cloud computing for our Legal Document Systems department providing them with a highly flexible infrastructure allowing them to expand their business with an 8 month ROI.
Sr. Manager of Technical Services (8/05- 1/11)
Responsible for centralized and distributed Windows teams, LANDesk (software distribution engine) team, Unix Technical Support and Technical Programming team for a user population of 24,000 with a staff of 38.
• Reduced budget 8% by cutting unneeded maintenance, consolidating servers and changing vendors.
• Managed Wintel, mainframe and storage portion of merger of three data centers reducing headcount by 35 and saving $1 million annual in operations costs.
• Noted error in calculations and formed a team to assess the future performance of new financial system. The analysis identified the need to purchase $1.5 million in additional hardware which precluded an extensive outage and roll back of the project.
• Managed project for installation of network acceleration devices which halved the number of remote servers and substantially reduced the cost of maintenance.
• Analyzed future demand and researched and selected storage, backup systems for large financial system merger project.
• Organized and sponsored the Threat Assessment and Remediation Team to address and mitigate security risks.
• Managed LANDesk team growth from 6000 to 24,000 clients.
Manager of Technical Support and Operations (12/04 – 8/05)
Assumed additional responsibilities of IT Operations Center, Lotus Notes (development and database support), User Security and Mainframe support and additional staff of 44. 65 persons total.
• Developed disaster recovery methodology for our financial systems.
• Planned and cost justified Sales Force Automation infrastructure.
• Managed development of system to distribute and maintain all corporate repair manuals and drivers to 3200 PCs cutting return service calls sufficient to meet the ROI within 6 months.
• Architected and managed the infrastructure for an outward facing sales application based on Blue Martini.
• Developed my second in charge to allow me to join a financial systems merger project.
Manager of Software Systems Engineering (7/98 – 12/04) Managed all aspects of Technical Programming, Unix Technical Support, Windows Server administration and Oracle Database Administration for a user population of 4500 users with a staff of 21.
• Architected systems, wrote requirements specifications, conducted analysis necessary for performance and scalability comparisons between various vendors.
• Negotiated purchases of large servers, storage arrays, backup hardware and associated system software.
• Lead Infrastructure Architecture team for corporate financial consolidation project.
• Managed project to transition 800 users to Thin Client (using Citrix) across LAN, WAN and dialups increasing application performance and reducing software distribution errors and cost.
• Managed project in Brussels to improve their database performance and reduce downtime from 2-3 unplanned outages per month to 1 planned outage per month.
• Project managed Novell and Windows storage to Samba project which transitioned 1400 users and supported growth to 4500. Reduced outages from 3-4 per month to 99.8% uptime.
Principal Software Analyst and Project Leader – Unix System Administration (9/94 – 7/98) Managed all aspects of software installation, operating system and database performance tuning, storage administration, database administration and provided technical assistance to the Communications, Operations and Functional Applications groups..
• Developed disaster recovery methodology for a Service Dispatch application reducing maximum potential downtime from 4 hours with potential data loss to 12 minutes with no data loss.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Energy Management Associates, Atlanta, Georgia. (Software models for the utility industry) (12/88 – 2/91)
Senior Analyst, Software Quality Assurance
South Rand Corporation, Norcross, Georgia (Avionics trainer manufacturer.) (3/85 – 11/88)
Unix Device Driver Programmer
Applied Computer Technology, Marietta, Georgia (11/82 – 1/85)
Georgia Institute of Technology, Bachelor of Science in Information and Computer Science (Graduated 6/84)
Other professional courses include Virtual Team Organization, Leadership, Project Management, Large System Administration, ISO27001, Project risk analysis.
Professional interests include Project Management, Holistic Systems Management, Mentoring and Professional Development.
Personal interests include working as President of Kensington Park Property Owners Association, founding Member of the Atlanta UNIX Users Group, and volunteer work.