Immigration Status US Citizen
Six sigma black belt and Engineering professional with about 16 yrs of Metallurgical research and development experience, of which 10 years was in the industry. Broad experience in various metallic materials, composites and coatings. Proven track record in strategic planning, development and execution of technical road maps. Several publications and presentations in the field of Metallurgical Engineering. Self motivated and creative.
Kennametal - Conforma Clad, New Albany, IN
Director of Technology
* Managed the technology group of Metallurgical and Chemical Engineers that supported about $60M sales
* Delivered $7M NPV through new product development programs, achieved 40%+ of sales from new products (<1 yr.)
* Championed a structured stage gate project management process and achieved 100% participation from manufacturing, sales, marketing and engineering; Launched products and processes that were aligned with strategic plan
* Developed technology road maps to project growth for next 5 yrs., aligned capital and resources per road maps
* Established a center of excellence for surface technologies to support the growth strategy, added various functional testing and characterization capabilities
* Ensured transfer of technology from R&D to plant floor, instituted post launch cross checks for FPY and first year sales for launched projects
* Established a policy for protection of intellectual property and ensured implementation of the procedures
* Engineered infiltration brazed Ni-Cr-WC-Co cladding formulations to improve abrasion, corrosion and erosion resistance in a wide variety of applications for power generation, oil field industries
Eaton Corporation Innovation Center, Southfield, MI 2005-2006
Sr. Engineering Specialist
* Team lead for corrosion resistant coatings for offshore cylinders. Developed the technology project plan and business case through interfacing with external customers, internal engineering, sales and marketing teams. Projected voice of customer, determined engineering targets, performed gap analysis, established market position and growth potential. Established the technology road map for gaining the market share.
* Benchmarked High velocity oxy fuel, plasma spray, plasma transferred arc welding and laser cladding processes for corrosion and wear.
* Worked on carbon friction materials for synchronizers. This involved domestic and international suppliers qualification and product functionality improvements identification. Established density of the carbon composite material on friction performance. Proposed thermally and tribologically managed friction material systems for synchronizers.
* Supported the product development through material characterization, engineering of customized testing techniques and failure analysis of components. Utilized various statistical tools to identify conditions for optimum performance. Failures were related to fretting and wear
* Project Manager for a hydraulics project - established market position on a particular pump segment, coordinated with the divisional engineering teams to do the benchmarking. Utilized six sigma methodologies for comparing the benchmarked product with core product.
* Supported high temperature engine valve materials work, identified the critical to functionality characteristics and correlated the modeled phase stability with high temperature fatigue performance.
* Filed a patent disclosure on light weight valve manufacture.
MetalDyne Corporation, Plymouth, MI 1999-2005
Sr. Metallurgical Engineer
* Developed the technological advantages of core products to project the strengths to win new business, benchmarked to understand competition and customer products - products include various automotive components, e.g. ring, pinion, side gears, axle shafts, differential case assemblies and clutch housings - revenues were of the order of $10M-$25M for major programs
* Performed failure analysis of hot forging tools, prototype test assemblies (various driveline and transmission components) and characterized forging/bar defects. Failures were related to thermal fatigue, wear (abrasion, galling), loss of hardness (temper back), seams/folds, over load etc. Recommended material/processing changes where applicable
* Lead the tooling research program across the organization at various plants involving cold, warm and hot forging applications; Developed standards, procedures, processes; Improved tool life through failure analysis and recommendation of appropriate material/processing/coating technologies; this resulted in cost savings of over $1.2M
* Developed needed cycles through appropriate thermal management for the jobs involved to eliminate post form normalizing and obtained desired conveyor systems, placed them in production; eliminated normalizing on 7 parts to start with and paved way to many more parts as new parts are added
* Performed global suppliers steel quality evaluations along with purchasing team, identified equivalent steel grades to support Asian OEM customer product development programs
* Identified novel technologies, lead several process improvement projects at different plant locations along with suppliers
* Metaldyne lead at a DOE collaborative project with partners from an University, National Lab and other Industries - this 3 yr. project was budgeted at $3.85M to develop next generation tool materials for forging and die casting tools
* Lead and directed six sigma black belt and continuous improvement activities: Identified value and non-value added processes and eliminated waste in a plant environment; Projects were related to maximizing process entitlements, reducing scrap and defective material, improving operating equipment efficiencies - typical projects resulted in $100K+ savings per project and ranged between 4-6 months
General Motors R&D Center, Warren, MI 1998
Senior Research Engineer
* Played a key role in the alloy development and forming groups for development of light weight aluminum car body panels
* Evaluated formability of aluminum sheets, strain distribution in the formed panels and investigated galling problems
* Studied the influence of die surface finish, lubrication and forming parameters on the surface finish of the formed part
* Examined the phosphatability of aluminum panels in a production plant and evaluated various suppliers for GM specified coating qualities
* Investigated surface roughness, paintability, paint adhesion, chipping and corrosion behavior of the painted panels and examined whether they qualified the standards
* Characterized aluminum through extensive use of SEM, XPS, XRD, EDS, and EPMA techniques
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 1995-1997
Post Doctoral Research Associate
* Guided graduate students on research projects on intermetallic matrix composites and functionally gradient composites
* Presented research work at conferences and published in peer reviewed journals - Identified the effects of oxide and of heating rates on the sequence and temperatures of formation of various phases during the synthesis of nickel aluminide-alumina composites and NiAl-NiCr functionally gradient material (FGM) using differential thermal analysis
* Developed proposals for funding - one of the proposals was on developing functionally gradient materials for armor applications
Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad, India 1992-1995
Faculty of Department of Metallurgical Engineering
* Served on the board for Design and revision of course structure
* Developed infrastructure needed for Laboratories
* Taught courses in Mechanical Metallurgy, Physical Metallurgy, Principles of Extractive Metallurgy, Powder Metallurgy, High Temperature Materials, Ceramic and Composite Materials, Metallurgical Problems, Iron Making and Engineering Metallurgy
* Supervised undergraduate thesis projects
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India 1988-1992
* Cast, extruded and rolled 15 Cu-Zn alloys with close control over composition and microstructure
* Established the effects of alloying content, microstructure, strain rate and temperature combinations on the metal working behavior
* Investigated the mechanisms of high temperature deformation including dynamic recrystallization, dynamic recovery, superplasticity, flow instabilities etc.
* Developed processing maps for optimization of hot workability
Education Ph.D. in Metallurgical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science (IISc.), Bangalore, India (1993)
Dissertation: "Influence of the Constitutive Behavior of Alpha and Beta Phases on the Mechanisms of Hot Working in Alpha-Beta Brasses and Nickel Silvers - A Study Using Processing Maps"
Bachelor of Engineering (B. E.) in Metallurgical Engineering, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India (1988)
* Six sigma blackbelt, August, 2000
* Certified Associate Value Specialist (AVS), November, 2002
List of Publications:
* Synthesis and Microstructural Characterization of NiAl-Al2O3 Functionally Gradient Composite, D. Padmavardhani, A. Gomez and R. Abbaschian, Intermetallics, 6 (1998) 229
* Reactive Hot Compaction of Functionally Graded Composites, A. Gomez, D. Padmavardhani and R. Abbaschian, in Processing and Fabrication of Advanced Materials IV, ed. T.S. Srivatsan and J.J. Moore, TMS, (1996) 355
* Processing Maps for Hot Working of Cu - Ni - Zn Alloys - Part II, Alpha - Beta Nickel Silver, D. Padmavardhani and Y. V. R. K. Prasad, J. Mat. Sci., (1993) 5275
* Processing Maps for Hot Working of Cu - Ni - Zn Alloys - Part I, Alpha - Nickel Silver, D. Padmavardhani and Y. V. R. K. Prasad, J. Mat. Sci., (1993) 5269
* Effect of Zirconium on Processing Maps for Hot Working of Alpha and Alpha - Beta Brass, D. Padmavardhani and Y. V. R. K. Prasad, Z. Metallkde., 84 (1993) 57
* Effect of Zinc Content on the Processing Map for Hot Working of Alpha Brass, D. Padmavardhani and Y. V. R. K. Prasad, Mat. Sci. Engg. A, 157 (1992) 43
* Characterization of Hot Deformation of Brasses Using Processing Maps - Part II, Beta Brass and Alpha - Beta Brass, D. Padmavardhani and Y. V. R. K. Prasad, Met. Trans. A, 22A (1991) 2993
* Characterization of Hot Deformation of Brasses Using Processing Maps - Part I, Alpha - Brass, D. Padmavardhani and Y. V. R. K. Prasad, Met. Trans. A, 22A (1991) 2985
* Effect of Zinc Content on the Processing Map for Hot Working of Beta Brass, D. Padmavardhani and Y. V. R. K. Prasad, Mat. Sci. Tech., 7 (1991) 947
List of Presentations in Conferences and Workshops:
* Structure/Property Relationships in NiAl Alloys Containing Zr and Si, M. Lakshmipathy, Y. Lim, D. Padmavardhani and M. J. Kaufman TMS Annual Meeting, San Antonio, USA, (1998)
* Characterization of Linear and Non-Linear NiAl-Al2O3 Functionally Gradient Composites, H. Zhu, D. Padmavardhani and R. Abbaschian, MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, USA (1997).
* Synthesis and Microstructural Characterization of NiAl-Al2O3 Functionally Gradient Composite, D. Padmavardhani, A. Gomez and R. Abbaschian, TMS Annual Meeting, Orlando, USA, (1997)
* Synthesis and Characterization of NiAl-(Ni-Cr) Functionally Gradient Material, R. Bracken, D. Padmavardhani and R. Abbaschian, ASM/TMS Materials Week & Expo, Cincinnati, Ohio, (1996)
* Reactive Hot Compaction of Functionally Graded Composites, A. Gomez, D. Padmavardhani and R. Abbaschian, TMS Materials Week, Cleveland, Ohio, USA (1995)
* Processing Map for Hot Working of Zinc, D. Padmavardhani, D. Sujana and Y. V. R. K. Prasad, 6th Annual Symposium on Metallurgical Research, IISc., Bangalore, India (1992)
* Effect of Zinc Content on the Dynamic Recrystallization During Hot Working of Alpha Brass - A Study Using Processing Maps, D. Padmavardhani and Y. V. R. K. Prasad, 5th Annual Symposium on Metallurgical Research, IISc., Bangalore, India (1991)
* Hot Deformation Behavior of Brasses - A Study Using Processing Maps, D. Padmavardhani and Y. V. R. K. Prasad, 4th Annual Symposium on Metallurgical Research, IISc., Bangalore, India (1990)
* Role of Interfaces in Hot Deformation of Alpha - Beta Brass, D. Padmavardhani and Y. V. R. K. Prasad, Indo-US Workshop on Interfaces: Structure and Properties, IISc., Bangalore, India (1989)
* Hot Deformation Behavior of Two Phase Alloys - Studies on Alpha - Beta Brass, D. Padmavardhani and Y. V. R. K. Prasad, 3rd Annual Symposium on Metallurgical Research, IISc., Bangalore, India (1989)