David L Smith
Hernando, MS ****2
Cell No.: 901-***-****
Tegra Medical, Hernando, MS 38632
Date: Apr 2010 – present
Project Manager: Quality Engineering and Validation
- Plan, execute, and finalize projects per deadlines and budget
- Define project objectives, i.e. purpose, scope, etc.
- Development, implementation, and continual improvement of validation/qualification
- Reporting & liaison with management, suppliers, customers, & third party sources
- Risk Analysis/Management
- Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management
- Implementation of SPC within organization
- CNC mills & lathe installation/operational qualification
- Star Swiss machining center installation/operational qualification
- Wire EDM (Electronic Discharge Machine) installation/operational qualification
- Special Process Qualification (Welding/Laser Marking/Cleaning/Metal Finishing)
- Measuring and Test Equipment Validation
CMM (Coordinates Measuring Machine)
Instron Torque Tester
Micro Vu Vision Systems
ThyssenKrupp Elevator, Middleton, TN 38052
Date: Jan 2008 to Jul 2009
Sr. Quality Engineer
Responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining Quality Assurance programs, methods and procedures; for planning and conducting audits and surveillance of manufacturing and quality programs.
- Lead zero defects initiative for new product introduction
o 42 internal non-conformances reduced to six within 30 days, with none of the six being the same or similar to the original 42 – Zero complaints from the field
- Responsible for Quality Planning for 31 million dollar expansion
o Fully automated process; metal shearing, punching, forming
o Six powder coat paint booths
o Six assembly & boxing operations
- Auditing of quality programs/systems; internal / external
- Recommend, implement and facilitate corrective actions and problem-
solving techniques necessary to prevent reoccurrences.
- APQP: PPAP, FMEA, Process Flows, Control Plans, Cpk study, process
- Training / Mentoring Quality Engineers, Quality Techs, Management,
Operators (1000 plus employees)
- Root Cause Analyses
- Cross Functional Teamwork
- Excel / Word / PowerPoint / Access / MiniTab
- Problem Solving methodologies: 8-D / 7-Step / Six Sigma / FMEA
- ISO-9001 certification
- Lean manufacturing techniques
- Generate reports and perform data analysis on quality records to
identify trends and implement corrective actions
Company: Cummins Inc / Cummins ReCon, Memphis TN
Date: Sep 1995 to Jul 2007
Job Description: (listed are the positions held most current to past)
Sr. Quality Engineer / Warranty & Rapid Problem Solving Leader/SWAT Team Member (1998-2007)
- Warranty Swat Team, WAR Room Leader and Projects Leader
*Reduction in Warranty Costs over three years from 6% sales to 2.8%
- Six Sigma Green Belt; Project Lead, Sponsor & Team Member
- Responsible for Quality Initiatives: TS16949 Certification
*Gap Analysis QS to TS
- Corrective Actions/Preventive Actions (Customer Complaints)
* Implemented process to reduce time to closure to < 30 days
- Non-conformances (Process Instructions for the NCMR processes to include
Material returns and other dispositions.
- Implementation of QSI (Quality Systems International Databases).
- Control plans, work instructions, SOP’s, policies, and procedures
- Receiving Inspection (Test Plans)
- Monitoring warranty trends, generating warranty reports, charts, etc
- Establishing warranty reduction projects and setting goals
- Creation of Warranty Return, Material Review, Failure Analysis process
- Creation of database for capturing data obtained as a result of the review
- APQP: PPAP, FMEA, Process Flows, GR&R, Cpk, Root Cause Analysis, etc
*Training / Mentoring Quality Engineers, Quality Techs, Management,
Operators (350 plus employees)
- Supplier Quality
Regional Parts Manager (1997-1998)
- Work with assigned Distributors to create preference for Cummins Parts.
- Present the Cummins Value Package in conjunction with Distributor and Dealer
Salespeople to end users..
- Assist Distributors in developing Distributor Annual Operating Plans and
encourage the use of the “DAOP” as a tool throughout the year.
- Collect information on competitive activity and provide feedback to marketing.
- Support distributor sales meetings, open houses, dealer open houses, and
training as needed.
- Develop and coach the Distributor parts sales team.
- Perform required administration including SSA, Customer Authorization
processing, and Newsnotes.
- Evaluation of assigned markets.
Product Support Warranty Administration/Policy
Settlement/Compliance Monitoring (1995-1997)
-Warranty claim review, working closely with customers on claim status.
-Warranty failure analysis of returned materials and distributor/dealer claims for
-Authorization of non-standard warranty repairs and repairs in excess of $2,000.
-Authorizations and negotiations for policy requests and settlements.
-Reconciling distributor accounts and insuring compliance of Cummins
Aftermarket warranty practices and processes.
-Working closely with customers both internal and external providing technical
support for all Cummins Aftermarket product issues.
-Act as a liaison with customers and other Cummins Aftermarket/CECo entities
on product and failure related issues.
-Assist with training and cascading RPS (Rapid Problem Solving) throughout the
ReCon plant entities.
-Conduct internal and external Quality Reviews for Cummins Aftermarket and
Cummins distributors and dealers.
Company: Peterbilt of Memphis, Inc. Memphis, TN 38116
Date: Nov 1986 to Sep 1995
PARTS SALES to PARTS MANAGER to WARRANTY MANAGER.
Responsibilities included the following:
-Customer service, parts sales both inside and outside
-Handle customer questions and complaints
-Management and supervision of parts department and its employees
-Determining stocking levels, by part number
-Determining safety stocks, by part number
-Managing inventory dollars and inventory turns
-Track and maintain information related to pricing levels, deliveries, and quote
-Working with suppliers to improve delivery performance.
-Supervision of service department personnel in all repairs related to a
-Management and reconciliation of warranty revenue and receivables.
-Consultation with both customer and technicians to determine warrantable
BSBA,1992 – majored in Business, course work in Mechanical Engineering
Christian Brothers University GPA 3.8
Six Sigma, Green Belt – Cummins Inc. 2005
Lean Manufacturing – Cummins Inc. 2005
TS16949 - Cummins Inc. 2005
Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing – Cummins Inc. 2003
QS9000 Internal Audit – Cummins Inc. 2000
Cummins Approach to Continuous Improvement – Cummins Inc. 2000
Root Cause Analysis: Five Why’s / 8D / Seven Step / Fish Bone Analysis / FMEA – Cummins Inc. 1998
AIAG APQP: PPAP, Process Flow, FMEA, Control plans, Warrant Submission, GR&R, Cpk study– Cummins Inc. 1998
CMM (pcdmis) – Brown & Sharpe 1998