Brecc K. Avellar
Experienced engineering professional with a chemical engineering, finance and business management background.
Actively seeking an opportunity to join or lead a team doing development in the alternative energy and/or specialty chemicals industries.
2011 to present
Chemical and Fuel Technology Development Leader:
Off the Grid Energy Works, Inc.
I have been providing cost effective business and technology solutions under contract in the waste-derived fuels and specialty chemicals industries.
• Currently doing unique engineering, business organization and capital sourcing for several municipal solid waste and wood biomass electric power generation projects in the US, Europe and Southeast Asia.
• Successfully advanced the engineering and system design for repurposing a waste oil recovery system to a biomass pyrolysis and gasification system.
• Completed on time and under budget the re-engineering of a biodiesel plant using a unique flow-through continuous reaction system and completed the re-start of all plant systems on time and under budget.
• Designed and successfully implemented an engineered electric power generation solution for a US government contract for US forces in Afghanistan.
2009 – 2011
Cycle Systems Inc./American Railroad Equipment LLC
I organized from a blank-page an alternative fuels business based on pyrolysis of municipal solid waste and automobile shredder residue into fuel oil and electric power. The effort ended when the owners decided to shut the operation to sell their family owned scrap metal business.
• Successfully led the lab and pilot scale development for re-purposing used motor oil recovery technology to upgrading waste-derived pyrolysis oil to a useable fuel oil.
• Collaborated on the re-purposing of recycled railroad locomotives into electric power generators that will run on mixed pyrolysis oil and gas.
2001 to 2009
Financial Services Principal - Avellar Advisors, Inc.
Started and grew a successful branch office of Edward Jones Investments, later an independent broker/dealer:
• Expanded assets under management from nil to $30 million assets in less than 5 years;
• Grew branch revenue to over $600,000 per year.
• Completed the sale of the business for cash to partners in 2009.
Plant Engineer - Bontex Inc.:
Successfully managed at an extremely reduced budget, the upgrade of plant-wide steam and condensate systems and the expansion of waste-water treatment systems for this specialty paper and board manufacturing company. Owners decided to close the plant despite the increased efficiencies realized by the work.
Sales and Service Engineer - Frischkorn Controls Inc.
Expanded the company sales with existing and new product lines into adjoining States and managed profitable sales in the multi-state territory engineering and selling specialty piping and process automation systems in the chemicals, textiles, wood-products, and paper industries.
M.S. Chemical Engineering, Virginia Tech
Thesis: Technical and Economics Aspects of Materials and Chemicals from Biomass
(Multiple Publications on the topic).
B.S. Chemical Engineering, Virginia Tech
Undergraduate Research Topic: Groundwater decontamination using biological processes