TIMOTHY J. SCHLAX, CPA Phone:847-***-****
*** ******* ***** *********, ** 60060 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior executive with demonstrated leadership in finance, accounting, audit and taxes including experience in establishing and reviewing financial and operational internal controls.
Proven financial expertise in North American and European markets.
• Prepared transition of accounting function to sister company after additional acquisition by foreign parent corporation.
• Performed due diligence procedures for international real estate services company that resulted in sale of company to a foreign publicly-held corporation.
• Collaborated with I.S. department to develop and implement online expense reimbursement program allowing for single entry of expense items to be downloaded into accounting software.
• Launched proprietary reporting software program for $250M investment management firm and holding company that reduced compilation of financial reports from fourteen to five days.
• Organized records of $75M holding company that allowed preparation of consolidated financial statements and tax returns in one-third less time.
Proficient in numerous software packages, including Accounting (SAP, Great Plains Dynamics, JD Edwards, PeopleSoft, QuickBooks), Tax (Lacerte, Macola), Spreadsheet (Excel, Lotus 1-2-3), Database Management (Access, Paradox) and Reporting (PowerPoint, FRx, Crystal Reports).
ROBERT HALF INTERNATIONAL\ AON HEWITT, INC. 2011 - 2012 CONSULTANT
• Analyzed contracts and made corrections in PeopleSoft 9.0 to properly record revenue after software conversion.
CENTER FOR ECONOMIC PROGRESS, CHICAGO, IL 2009 - 2012 SITE MANAGER
• Supervised volunteers at free tax preparation site for low-income individuals for not-for profit organization.
• Reviewed and approved all tax returns prepared by volunteer preparers.
• Taught review course for volunteer tax preparers to assist them in attaining IRS certification.
LEGAL HELPERS, LLC 2009-2010 CONSULTANT
• Developed revenue recognition policy for bankruptcy law firm and applied policy to compile GAAP financial statements from cash basis statements for initial audit.
MACCORMAC COLLEGE, CHICAGO, IL 2009 - 2010 ADJUNCT PROFESSOR
• Taught courses in Income Tax, Managerial, Basic and Intermediate Accounting for Associates Degree program.
UGL-EQUIS CORPORATION, CHICAGO, IL 2005 – 2008 VICE PRESIDENT\CONTROLLER
($100MM Real Estate Services Company)
• Supervised staff responsible for accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger and financial reporting requirements.
• Presented financial results to executive board on a quarterly basis.
• Designed and implemented procedures to streamline reporting requirements to meet publicly traded foreign parent deadlines while conforming to IFRS standards.
• Inspected transaction details to determine proper recording of revenue due to future contingencies.
• Created and maintained monthly report for regional and department managers that enhanced tracking of revenue and increased reliability on forecasts.
• Developed annual budget and analyzed monthly variances on a company-wide and profit center basis.
• Performed consolidations of foreign subsidiaries and calculated exchange rate differences on a monthly basis.
• Assisted external auditors by preparing work papers for use in annual reports and income tax preparation.
S.T.P. ENTERPRISES, INC., CHICAGO, IL 2003 – 2005 CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
($300MM Insurance Agency specializing in Life Insurance Premium Financing Products)
• Performed all accounting functions, including general ledger, accounts payable, financial statement preparation, budgeting, payroll processing and account reconciliation.
• Reviewed employee performance on quarterly basis and recommended salary and bonus amounts.
TIMOTHY J. SCHLAX, CPA . . . Page 2
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE (CONTINUED)
THOMA PROPERTIES, LLC, WILMETTE, IL 2001 – 2002 CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
($75M diversified holding company and subsidiary of venture capital firm)
• Directed operations of two wineries, vineyards and cattle ranch, having controllers and accounting staffs of each as direct reports.
• Analyzed company holdings and made recommendations on purchase and sale opportunities.
ARCHELON, LLC, CHICAGO, IL 1999 – 2001 CONTROLLER
($100M revenue options market-making firm with operation in the United States and Europe)
• Maintained books and records for options market-making firm. Responsible for financial statements, FOCUS reports, net capital computations, payroll and payroll taxes, management of 401K and cash management.
• Established procedures for recording daily general ledger entries to comply with regulatory standards.
TIMOTHY J. SCHLAX, CPA 1997 – 1999 SELF-EMPLOYED
• Performed accounting and financial duties for not-for-profit medical services organization. Responsible for fund balances, contract management, payroll and financial reporting. Supervised accounts payable, accounts receivable and billing.
• Supervised accounting department of medium sized manufacturer. Managed accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management, general ledger transactions and financial reporting.
• Gathered information necessary to close-out year ends and prepare 10-Q financial reports for a real estate management company.
• Analyzed operations and financial statements of a restaurant holding company. Recommended revisions that permitted more timely and effectual reports.
• Prepared valuation analyses of closely-held companies for estate tax purposes.
• Compiled income tax returns for individuals, partnerships and small business corporations.
CARNEY MANAGEMENT COMPANY, CHICAGO, IL 1987 – 1997 DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
($250M investment management firm and diversified holding company)
• Supervised and managed the accounting, tax and treasury functions for several privately held companies in different industries. Responsibilities included reviewing monthly financial statements, cash management, budget preparation, sales, payroll and income tax return preparation, financing negotiations and presentations to owners. Industries included agriculture, energy, investment management and real estate management.
• Developed and presented strategies to minimize tax effects on transactions for individuals, trusts and organizations. Completed transactions per client request. Prepared short and long-term tax plans to meet client requirements. Reviewed plans semi-annually to meet changing conditions.
• Directed the preparation of income tax returns for high wealth individuals, trusts, partnerships, corporations and foundations with multi-state requirements. Motivated staff to successfully meet all filing deadlines of one hundred plus returns per year without extensions for nine years. Maintained timely financial reporting for clients and management throughout every tax season.
• Conducted portfolio restructuring. Analyzed investments to better match client needs. Evaluated current holdings, generated customized plans and proposed transactions to build the revised portfolio quickly and minimize tax effects.
FIRST OPTIONS OF CHICAGO, INC., CHICAGO, IL INTERNAL AUDITOR
(largest options market maker on the floor of the CBOE)
CHICAGO BOARD OPTIONS EXCHANGE, CHICAGO, IL FINANCIAL EXAMINER
(largest options trading exchange)
CHUNOWITZ, TEITELBAUM & BAERSON, LTD., NORTHBROOK, IL STAFF ACCOUNTANT
(medium sized regional public accounting firm)
TIMOTHY J. SCHLAX, CPA . . . Page 3
• MBA, UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO, Concentration in Finance and Accounting
• BS, UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, Urbana-Champaign, Accounting
Illinois CPA Society . . . University of Illinois Alumni Association . . . University of Chicago GSB Club