Stephen W. Perry
Doylestown, PA 18901
A seasoned executive with more than 24 years of experience in Information Technology and Information Systems. Complete understanding of the software engineering process from software planning through software requirements verification and maintenance. Extensive experience as a software engineering manager. Excellent leadership, time management, communication, decision making, presentation and organization skills, with proven experience leading software development projects of all sizes.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. Villanova University, Villanova, PA, 5/1987
Master’s Degree in Information Systems, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 12/1988
TS/SCI Clearance (PR completed 5/2008) w/ CI Poly
Seasoned Manager with extensive experience in analyzing, identifying, designing, and implementing product solutions. Recognized for product design and development in the communications, commercial banking and defense industries. Business and technical expertise in the following areas:
• SW Engineering Process • Workforce Management • Custom Software Solutions
• Product Development • IT Financial Management • Customer Relations
• Strategic Planning • Proposal Development • Operations
• Program Management • Vendor Management • Business & Technology Architecture
• IT Demand Management • Systems Integration • IT Strategy
Excellent creative problem solving, administrative, communications and leadership skills. Strong work ethic and academic credentials complemented by active commitments to family and the community.
Platforms: Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000, DOS; HP-UX10, 11; Solaris 8; Unix; VAX/VMS;
Hardware: IBM PC, Sun and VAX workstations, DEC, Unisys, KMI AKP
Languages: C, C++, Java, VBA, SQL, FORTRAN, COBOL, MS Assembly, PowerBuilder
Tools: MS Office 2007, Telelogic DOORS, ClearCase, ClearQuest, Unix shell scripting
Applications: MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Unix, SCO Unix, Rhapsody, Eclipse
DBMS: MS SQL 2000/2005, Oracle 6-11i, Progress 4GL
Training: EVMS, PMI, PMP, PgMP, attended software engineering and project-related conferences and classes including C, C++, Java, Object-Oriented Design, SEI-CMMI, Software Processes, CASE Tools and Proposal Writing.
Mission Solutions Engineering Moorestown, NJ 12/2010 - Present Principal Engineering Leader
Section manager for 16 direct reports on the AEGIS Combat System program, including yearly reviews, career counseling, and mentoring. Responsible for program compliance, design reviews, code reviews, and metrics. Daily interface with LM management, systems engineering and lab personnel on all aspects of the Aegis system. Successfully completed 2 consecutive CPARs, and received highest award fees.
L-3 Communications - East Camden, NJ 2/2008 - 10/2010 S/W Engineering Unit Manager / S/W Lead
Unit manager for 32 direct reports spread across 7 programs, including yearly reviews, career counseling, and mentoring. Software lead on the Stingray program creating embedded OO applications for type-1 cryptography on customized hardware. Responsible for program compliance, design reviews, code reviews, and metrics. Regular interface with NSA customer and Prime.
Data Systems Analysts, Inc. Trevose, PA 1/1995 - 2/2008 Program Manager/Lead Software Engineer
* Technical program manager for several consecutive major efforts in support of the Guardrail program. Worked as a subject matter export for the database design, SQL Server and Sybase. Instrumental in bringing the program into CMM/I level 3 compliance. 30 direct reports across multi-disciplinary teams, including Audio, Java, C/C++, Fortran, Ada, Change Management, Quality Assurance, and Testing.
* DIA Project Manager/System Implementor - Designed and implemented a Project Management Office in support of the Defense Intelligence Agency. Designed and implemented the Computer Environment Resource Planning (CERP) Tracking system for DIA at Bolling AFB as the initial project. The system uses a back-end SQLserver database that is accessed using modular ASP code over an ODBC connection. The web site is managed using Microsoft IIS v5. Access was controlled by username and encrypted password, with role-based security for management access. Implemented secure connectivity and Private Key Infrastructure. Nature of work was classified TS/SCI. 8 direct reports.
* PEO-C3T Architect - Designed and implemented the Human Resources Office (HRO) system at Fort Monmouth (U. S. Army), a subset of the Executive Information Management System. The system uses a back-end SQLserver database. The web site is managed using Microsoft IIS v5. Access is controlled by username and encrypted password, with role-based security for management access.
* Internal IT Manager/Business Consultant - Responsible for internal company IT and a staff of 5 in 3 locations. Responsible for conducting on-going IT support for a network of Microsoft Win98, WinME, Win2000, and WinXP workstations with Win2000 servers, HP printers, and Lotus Notes email. Implemented automated security updates and service releases for all software packages within our facility and managed the help desk personnel. Implemented time tracking system using Unanet 3.4. My responsibilities included system administration using SQL Server Enterprise Manager. IBM Visual Age for Java 3.5 and WebSphere were used to maintain the java code-base. Designed the company-wide access through the internet via https under Microsoft IIS v5. Implemented the Saleslogix v5.2 sales force automation system. Scribe 3.1.3 was used extensively to import accounts, contacts, and past activities into the new system. Taught classes on MS Exchange Server, including hardware, software, and security to external clients.
* IT Manager/Business Consultant - Member of a team of DSA consultants working with AT&T to develop business process models and functional requirements to enhance the capabilities of their order management system as well as to more fully integrate the system with other business applications within AT&T. The order management system is used by AT&Ts worldwide and domestic facilities via an intranet. Conducted security risk management case study and presented findings. Designed fault tolerance system to ensure 99.997% up-time.
* Project Manager and Systems Lead for Communications System Control Element: Integrated Network Management System - upgraded and maintained a network management and monitoring system running under VMS across a network for the Army Signal Command. Designed and implemented a web-based interface for the reporting system as well as the graphical display of the network. Implemented a Y2K strategy to ensure the system is Y2K compliant. Designed and began implementation to port the system to a Windows NT v4 platform using object oriented and web-based technology.
* Senior Software Engineer - team member on a very large scale project to implement a custom customer support and relationship system at Baltimore Gas and Electric Company. Utilized expert knowledge of Oracle database and PowerBuilder.
* Software Engineer - team member on PILOT program for GMAC Mortgage, implementing Residential Mortgage Application System.
Independent contractor Philadelphia, PA 12/1991 - 12/1994 Consultant/Contractor - working on IS, MIS, and IT projects for small to mid-sized companies in the Philadelphia area. Projects included in-house staffing augmentation, infrastructure support, training, installation, and numerous programming assignments. Projects covered financial applications and mortgage banking.
Ketron, Malvern, PA 3/1988 - 11/1991 Principal Software Engineer - Principal software engineer for a database system with a graphical user interface used by school districts to run their transportation departments. Designed and implemented modules to plan bus routes on interactive maps, redistrict school zones, track pupils, track vehicle maintenance, and report to the state level for reimbursement.
Applied System Technologies Doylestown, PA 5/1987 - 3/1988 Programmer/Analyst - Programmer/Analyst for a company with 8 employees total. Designed and built large-scale financial applications using Progress 4GL.