Thomas Lewis Dean
Richmond, Virginia 23233
Qualifications Through aggressive sales efforts and 25 years of relationship selling, I have successfully grown profitable business for 5 companies, including growth of over 50% in existing and new territories in Industrial sales. Recently took on an industry and territory new to me in contacts and products, and grew a 1.1 million gross sales territory to 1.9 million in less than a year with no pricing responsibilities towards the client’s purchases. Through personal visits and working as a liaison between the Asheville Mica and the clients, I personally achieved record growth in record time for the company.
I have a natural ability to listen to clients’ needs and take the extra efforts to make it happen. It has been mutually beneficial for my involvement with C level executives in cultivating long term relationships. As lower lever company decision makers grew within the corporate structures,a partnership and trust in problem solving allowed me to continue these successful endeavors.
The work day is not a 9-5 job. Often starting my day at 4:30am and not finishing until the task was complete.
Passport recently updated
FERRUM COLLEGE, Ferrum, VA
Bachelor of Science, Public Affairs and Administration 1984
Concentrations on Urban renewal and redevelopment.
FERRUM COLLEGE, Ferrum, VA
Associate of Arts, General Studies 1982
FERRUM COLLEGE- INTERNSHIP
Norfolk Redevelopment & Housing Authority 1984
I was awarded an internship to create and report the findings of a survey mailed to
1500 residents of Norfolk, Va. A study of Residential and Housing Preferences with
the ability to communicate in writing on the survey resulted in a remarkable 17%
return on the survey for recommendations on a housing redevelopment project.
(Liberty Park) As a result of my efforts, NRHA took the findings and developed a
new residential neighborhood.
Best Repair Company Inc. Aug 2011- Mar 2012
Electrical and mechanical Industrial repair specialist for electric motors (AC/DC), pumps, gearboxes and generators. Within 2 months captured a global account and solidified all divisions for repairs by giving unprecedented customer service and consistent communications. In 4 months gained trust from Henrico County Public Utility to perform emergency service and awarded machine shop repairs for 600hp pump. Worked as a liaison with a global pump manufacturer to qualify BRC as the only certified repair facility in the Hampton Roads territory.
Contract Technical Resources Corp May 2011--- July 2011
. Newport News, Virginia
Business Development Specialist
Ctr-Group: Technical staffing firm specializing in ship yard trades contract employment.
Pearson Kia Feb 2011- May 2011
Glen Allen, VA
Met all Kia manufacture training activities and test requirements. Appointed showroom manager by General Manager to ensure all vehicles and showroom exceeded customer’s satisfaction. I achieved a perfect 10 from every customer who purchased.
ASHEVILLE-SCHOONMAKER MICA CO. Oct 2009 – Dec 2010
Newport News, Virginia
Asheville Mica: A world supplier of natural mica and mica plate to a diversified customer base from the Rail industry to Arts and Crafts. Supply sheet stock, tubes, washers and fabricated parts to a diversity of industries. Manufacture import materials in Newport News, VA for customer’s specifications. Supplied ceramic materials for transformer manufacturers.
• Grow existing customer volume through diversity products offered. Territory Mid-West USA with extensions to Canada and Mexico.
• Assist Sales Manager in target accounts and industries for decorative, insulation, and craft Mica usages. Strong concentration on the rail industry - materials for traction motor and alternator rebuilds.
• Increased customer’s awareness of company’s products with personal visits and follow-up.
• Worked with Import manager to increase volume in the ceramic and wire industry.
• Took a former top 5 account which purchased $0.00 in 2008-2009 and regained the business and confidence back in the company to $125,000 in less than a year.
• Worked closely with an Arts and Crafts company which recently signed a contract with QVC UK to use my products and some new creative ideas the owner and I came up with for their product line of mica.
• Closed an $84,000 order on first visit upon quality assurance approval of product. Partial order of 1.5 million pieces with potential of 4 million once quality meets specifications.
• Only outside sales representative on the road and covered accounts not assigned to me as a team player.
Company wanted to try to break into a new industry and worked with the wood working guild. I gave a presentation to Head Quarters on our products and capabilities. Research and Development still working on possibilities.
ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT COMPANY Feb 2002 - July 2008
Annual growth of at least 10 - 20% in both new and existing customer bases; concurrent with improved profitability. Taking $300,000 territory and within 18 months grew gross sales to $1,000,000. Maintained position as the company’s sales leader in both gross and net profit margins (47%) by selling a better quality product and reducing inventory of a lesser quality and lower price product. Increase service business by over 60% due to value selling and performing excellent customer service.
• Improved company’s existing customer relationships; ability to resolve prior conflicts with accounts and regain those business relationships.
• Developed a competitive edge with respect to customer service provided within assigned market. Earned reputation for fair, honest business practices, and ability to deliver value-added services.
• Previous customer portfolio has proven loyalty to sales representative rather than employer.
• High level of integrity in customer relationships, strong emphasis on customer service and .
attention to details, motivated and enthusiastic, and committed to relationship management.
. ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL RESOURCES Sept1991 - Feb 2002
Business development responsibilities for various statewide territories, including enhancing existing account relationships by increasing established volume from $150,000 to over $1,000,000 within four years.
Developed major new clients, including signing a Fortune 500 company in 1995 that now represents over 43% of total annual company sales. Direct sales efforts also increased volume of house accounts, as well as accounts assigned to other company sales representatives.
Trained and assisted in management of delivery route personnel and inside sales staff.
During Operations Manager’s absence, coordinated customer work orders and machine shop production. Successfully completed numerous industry workshops covering all aspects of motor sales and service
. LIBERTY MUTUAL INSURANCE June 1989 – Sept 1991 Richmond, Virginia
Personal Lines Agent
S&K FAMOUS BRANDS, INC. Aug 1984 –June 1989
Men’s Retail clothing Sales Associate, Manager in Training ( 2nd highest sales volume store in
• Provide coaching assistance for children’s sport activities (YMCA), including golf, soccer and baseball.
• Strong commitment to community service, accomplished through volunteer positions at non-profit organizations.
• Member, Virginia Transportation Construction Alliance and Virginia Aggregate Association.
• Private consulting services for former customers – July 2008 – Present
• From February 10 2009 – June 10 2009; provided full-time care for child injured in an accident.