JOHN R. SKOCHDOPOLE, P.E.
ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT - DEPARTMENTAL DIRECTION
• Project and Team Management • Client-Focus • Design and Construction Oversight
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Task Compression
• Stakeholder Meetings
• CPM Implementation
• Design Schedule Adherance
• Frontline Representation
• Regulatory Compliance
• Complex Components
• Relationship Management
• Multi-Project Direction
• Multidisciplinary Teams
• Resource Allocation
Versatile, open project manager, providing comprehensive objective-based leadership across permitting attainment, engineering management, earthwork, retainer, open space, structure and roadway construction, standards’ control and closeout functions. Superlative priority manager, adeptly leading internal staff and subcontractors to complete quality project modules on time and within budget.
Large Scale/Large-Team Success
Innovative Change Proposals
• Licensure: Washington State Professional Civil Engineer #28358
• Master of Business Administration - Finance / Real Estate • UCLA
• Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering • Stanford University
MacKay and Somps Civil Engineers - San Jose, CA 1/1983 – 9/1987
Project Civil Engineer
Developed new, profitable air space mapping system for condominium recordings in 1986.
Contributed to development of site earthwork takeoff program in 1985.
Spearheaded start-up of new joint trench/franchise utility design department as young Department Head.
• Jurisdictional and client relations
• Contract proposals
• Water resource design
• Site grading planning
• Approval conditions negotiations
• Title report review
• Project layouts
• Infrastructure cost estimates
Conner Homes Company – Bellevue, WA 1989 – 2008
Plat Development Superintendent, CHC, 1989-1994
Directed and conducted all daily field operations for multiple sites, simultaneously. Management of civil improvement design and permitting, overall construction and closeout. Responsible for prompt, in-budget, in-spec delivery of constructed and recorded lots and streets to scrutinizing, expectant builder group.
Successfully launched, executed and completed 15 major grading, utility and surface improvement projects in various jurisdictions, redefining effectiveness in the position for the company and the industry.
Introduced and standardized mass grading practices to King County subdivision practice for Conner and industry.
• Oversight of design consultants
• Earthwork management -source/sink
• Field adjustments
• Inspector relations
• Quality assurance
• Conditions’ compliance/reporting
Director, Land Development, CHC, 1995 – 2008
Managed internal and external team to comprehensively identify, negotiate, acquire and prepare property. Marked, recognized success in all land acquisition and development required functions. Responsible for reliable flow of finished lots to a commerce chain for unprecedented profitable times for the company and the industry.
Successfully directed acquisition, proforma analysis, entitlements, capital procurement, engineering, standards compliance, construction support and community relations, for planning, construction and delivery of 36 plats.
Prepared / administered project budgets up to $35 million.
Nurtured function from proprietorship to professionally run department. Created and revised standards, systems and procedures.
Participated in code modification task forces with municipalities, as part of trade association.
• Land identification, negotiation, feasibility
• Entitlement and regulatory relationships
• Adherence to codes and all relevant regulations
• DOE, DOW, DOF, DOH, DOT, COE experience
• Regional storm facilities, downstream and hydraulic grade analyses, floodplain and flood control work
• Shorelines’ facilities, habitat treatments, sensitive area creation/mitigation inclusions
• Sewer lift stations, vacuum systems, grinder projects
• PRVs, booster systems, fire control loops
• Open space, recreation and entry monument designs
• Surface improvement variances, intersection, signalization, and channelization work
Project Manager, CHC, 2000 – 2008
Sharing all company departments and resources, directed all aspects of land development and home construction projects for numerous simultaneous housing projects. Making all project and product decisions, managed competitive analysis, strategy and marketing initiatives, presentation and marketing materials, sales/absorption goals and sales team. Overall business responsibility for roughly one-third of company activity through multi-departmental direction.
Balanced competing priorities to achieve goals for 4+ simultaneous projects valued at $20M+, annually over 8 years.
Budget development up to $50 million, regularly achieved profit margins of 13- 21%.
Promoted to Corporate and Divisional Management while retaining Land Development Director Position.
Selected to serve as executive committee member, providing expertise in development and execution of corporate strategies, resource allocation and compensation as well as serving as company representative.
• Ensured cost-effective, efficient operations
• Provided/Ensured excellent customer service.
• Consultant/Vendor interactions
• Sourced/Hired staff
• Developed product specifications
• Established pricing and velocities