Eduardo D. Gigante
Liverpool, NY 13090
State University of New York at Binghamton 07/10 – (Dec. 2012)
Master of Science: Psychology, Behavioral Neuroscience
State University of New York at Binghamton 08/08 – 05/10
Bachelor of Science: Psychology Psychobiology/Neuroscience: Organismic Track
State University of New York at Onondaga Community College 01/06 – 05/08
Transfer Preparation in Math and Science
State University of New York at Binghamton: Binghamton, New York 06/10 – Present
Graduate Student Psychology: Behavioral Neuroscience Adviser: Dr. David F. Werner
Bio-molecular and behavioral characterization of ethanol action on PKA during adolescence.
Poster #1-4; Publication # 1-3
Undergraduate Researcher: Dr. Linda P. Spear Developmental Research Lab 09/09 – 05/10
Breeding colony maintenance, assisting graduate students with behavioral research projects.
Undergraduate Researcher: Dr. Stephen L. Boehm Neurobiology Research Lab 09/08 – 05/09
Assisted graduate students with behavioral research projects using
C57Bl/6 mice, ethanol-induced; locomotion, LORR, ataxia.
University of Rochester Medical Center: Rochester, New York 06/09 – 08/09
GEBS Summer Scholar Dr. Jean Bidlack Pharmacology and Physiology Lab
Potency and efficacy analysis of morphine analogs through radio-ligand binding assays.
National Institutes of Health: Bethesda, Maryland 05/08 – 07/08
NIAMS Laboratory of Structural Biology Research
I Built and refined an optical diffractometer for electron micrograph quality assessment.
State University of New York at Binghamton: Binghamton, New York 05/07 – 07/07
Dr. Stephen Boehm Neurobiology Research Lab
Bridges to the Baccalaureate Summer Researcher
Determined whether C57BL/6 gained tolerance to the intoxicating effects of ethanol through the
Drinking In the Dark (DID) ethanol intake paradigm.
Poster #6; Publication # 5
Skills and Techniques
• Stereotaxic Surgeries, Neuronal Cell Culture, Gel electrophoresis, Immunoblotting, Kinase Assay,Blood ethanol
analysis, RNA extraction, RT-PCR.
• Animal subjects: Sprague-Dawley rats and C57BL/6 mice
• Animal husbandry
• Other Skills: i.p injections, s.c. injections, conditioned taste aversion, conditioned place preference, DID intake, two
bottle choice, drug discrimination, operant conditioning, locomotion, loss of righting-reflex, elevated plus-maze,
balance beam, roto-rod, decapitations, brain extractions, brain microdissections.
• Programs; Excel, Word, PowerPoint, SPSS, Prism, StatView, Gen5, NIH Image J.
• Equipment: Ph meter, chemical fume hood, biological fume hood, centrifuge, sonicator, plate reader, x-ray film
1. Gigante, E.D., Santerre, J.L., and Werner, D.F. Molecular and behavioral characterization of cAMP dependent
protein kinase during ethanol exposure in adolescents. (Manuscript in Prep).
2. Santerre, J.L., Gigante, E.D., Mickelsen, L.E., and Werner, D.F. Molecular and behavioral characterization of
PKC during alcohol exposure in adolescence: involvement of arachidonic acid. (Manuscript in Prep).
3. Kumar, S., Ren, Q., Beckley, J.H., O’Buckley, T.K., Gigante E.D., Santerre, J.L., Werner, D.F., and Morrow,
A.L. (2012). Ethanol Activation of Protein Kinase A Regulates GABA(A) Receptor Subunit Expression in the
Cerebral Cortex and Contributes to Ethanol-Induced Hypnosis. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 6, 1-9.
4. Linsenbardt, D.N., Moore, E.M., Griffin, K.D., Gigante, E.D., and Boehm, S.L., II (2011). Tolerance to ethanol's
ataxic effects and alterations in ethanol-induced locomotion following repeated binge-like ethanol intake
using the DID model. Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 35, 1246-1255.
5. Boehm, S.L. II, Moore, E.M., Walsh, C.D., Gross, C.D., Cavelli,A.M., Gigante, E. and Linsenbardt, D.N.
(2008) Using Drinking in the Dark to model prenatal binge-like exposure to ethanol in C57BL/6J mice. Dev
Psychobiology 50, 566–578.
1. J.L. Santerre, E.D. Gigante, L.E. Mickelsen, and D.F. Werner (2012) Molecular and Behavioral
characterization of PKC during alcohol exposure in adolescent rats. Society for Neuroscience. New Orleans,
2. J.L. Santerre, E.D. Gigante, D.F. Werner (2012) Investigation of PKC in Adolescent ethanol-action in Sprague-
Dawley rats. J Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 36:16A.
3. E.D. Gigante, J.L. Santerre, and D.F. Werner (2012) Assessing the role of PKA in ethanol action in adolescent
Sprague-Dawley rats. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 36:16A.
4. E.D. Gigante and D.F. Werner (2011). Investigating the role of PKA in ethanol-related behaviors in
adolescents. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 35:11A.
5. Eduardo D. Gigante and Jean M. Bidlack Binding Potency and Efficacy of Amino-Thiazol Derivatives at μ, κ,
and δ Opioid Receptors. (2009) University of Rochester Medical Center. GEBS Summer Scholar Program.
6. Moore EM, Walsh CD, Gigante E, Cavelli A, Goldfarb KJ, Mariani J, Gross C, Zommorodian S, Linsenbardt
DN, Boehm II SL (2008). Binge-like ethanol intake during pregnancy: Maternal Intake, maternal care, and litter
weight. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 32:229A.
Research Society on Alcoholism Travel Grant 2012
State University of New York at Binghamton Graduate Clark Fellow 2010-2012
State University of New York at Binghamton Undergraduate McNair Scholar 2008- 2010
State University of New York at Binghamton Undergraduate LSAMP Student 2008- 2010
State University of New York at Harpur College Undergraduate Research Award Spring 2009
State University of New York at Binghamton Undergraduate Dean’s List Fall 2008
State University of New York at Onondaga Community College Dean’s List Fall 2007
Wegmans Scholarship Recipient 2007- 2010
State University of New York at Binghamton: Binghamton, New York 01/12 – 05/12
Teaching Assistant: Learning Laboratory
Wegmans Food Markets 06/04 – 05/10
Customer Service, Baker Johnson City, New York 09/08 – 05/10
Customer Service, Frozen Foods Clay, New York 06/05 – 08/08
Cashier and Helping Hands Clay, New York 06/04 – 06/05
State University of New York at Onondaga Community College: Syracuse, New York
Content Tutoring Center: Organic Chemistry Tutor 01/08 – 05/08
Part Time Chemistry Laboratory Stockroom Assistant 06/06 – 05/08
Dr. David F. Werner
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Dr. Stephen L. Boehm II
Indiana University-Purdue University
Associate Professor of Psychology
Dr. Linda P. Spear
SUNY Binghamton University
Distinguished Professor of Psychology