Product Planning/Management - Market Research - Project Management
SUMMARY Over twenty years of experience shipping multiple hardware and software products:
* Eleven years as Product Manager with Microsoft (10 as FTE) including MS Office marketing, initial Windows CE embedded OS launch, Int’l PM, and OEM marketing
* Took Paul Allen/Vulcan’s FlipStart 3G UMPC from concept to shipping product as Sr. Product Manager; focus on Enterprise Vertical market
* Created new eBook and wireless PDA concepts as Product Planning Director for Bsquare Corp.
* Co-founder of Bauer Enterprises, specializing in printer emulation testing, printer drivers, and page description languages; company acquired by Microsoft in 1989
VIRTUOSO TRAVEL (Maxsam Partners contract) – Seattle, WA 2/2009 to 3/2009
Sr. Product Management – Content Sourcing and Strategy
Responsible for sourcing and strategy for integration of travel supplier content for a Silverlight-based web portal used by luxury travel advisors. Participated as a Product Owner on an Agile Scrum team, with focus on content strategy, supplier acquisition and verification, and data migration strategy. Negotiate and coordinate with worldwide suppliers of cruise, air, hotel, and tour products. Technical team budget shortfall necessitated RIF of 20%.
MICROSOFT CORP. (CompuCom Excell Data contract) – Redmond, WA, 4/2008 to 2/2009
Market Research Project Manager – Microsoft Surface Computing
Conduct market research for product planning in vertical markets such as Consumer, Gaming, Leisure & Entertainment, Retail, Public Sector, Medical, and Real Estate as well as the Consumer market. Work with internal teams and external vendors to gather data on this new category of computers. Research new wireless technologies for possible use in next generation Surface Computers.
VULCAN, INC. – Seattle, WA, 10/2004 – 12/2007
Sr. Product Manager – FlipStart
Responsible for worldwide market research, product planning, and all aspects of product management for Mr. Allen’s FlipStart ultra-mobile PC. Created Marketing Requirement Documents, conducted price/demand studies and usability testing, and managed contextual research projects. Defined new gaming products, product extensions, GSM/GPRS/UMTS/HSDPA/EVDO wireless capabilities, and product-related requirements for distribution channels. Worked closely with program management, hardware and software development, QA, sales, and owner to refine product requirements in preparation of launch. Designed and acquired third-party accessories, met with press and analysts, and spoke on panels, conducted demonstrations at customer sites, web videos, and conferences in support of successfully launching the product.
BSQUARE CORPORATION – Bellevue, WA, 6/2000 – 1/2002
Director, Product Planning
As a member of the Strategic Development team, charged with evaluating opportunities and identifying the best new products and services to enable the company to meet its growth targets. Specific area of responsibility was new product planning such as e-books and wireless PDAs. Responsibilities included:
* Market and customer research; qualitative and quantitative
* Business development and business plans
* SME on mobile telecommunications industry
* Develop MRD and PRD documents
* Worked closely with development teams, OEMs, ODMs, industrial and mechanical design firms to create complete end-to-end solutions
NTS COMPUTER SYSTEMS – Maple Ridge, B.C., 8/1999 – 5/2000
Vice President, Product Development
Responsible for creating new hardware and software product roadmap for wireless educational computing solutions, negotiated licensing terms with software platform provider, and managed development teams in Kirkland, WA; Maple Ridge, BC; Shannon, Ireland.
MICROSOFT CORPORATION – Redmond, WA, 7/1989 – 5/1999
Product Manager – Consumer Appliances Group, 1995 – 1999
Responsible for third-party relationships for PC Companion line of Windows CE devices. Work extensively with OEMs, ISVs, and IHVs to promote customer solutions in a mobile environment.
Completed product planning and business development for Handheld PC Professional Edition (Jupiter) class of Windows CE devices with multiple OEM partners and third-party providers.
Managed business and marketing relationships with OEMs, negotiated development agreements with semiconductor vendors and systems integrators.
Product Manager – MS Office, 1992 – 1995
* Macintosh Office - Created and managed online marketing campaign. Created first Office Internet website, managed third-party contractors, and drove customer satisfaction campaign.
* PowerPoint - Negotiated national promotional tour with HW vendors. Supported field sales, third parties, and int’l marketing.
* Word - Created new product category for group and launched first product. Product planning, forecasting, budgets, packaging, collateral material, promotions, research, product rollout, and sustaining marketing programs.
Int’l Product Manager – Windows Accessories, 1991 – 1992
Responsible for all marketing activities with international subsidiaries for all WAG product lines.
OEM Product Manager – Windows Printing Group, 1989 – 1991
Managed printer software business increased licensing to 25 OEM customers. Created Windows Printer Driver business for Windows 3.0/3.1 and signed printer vendors not supported by existing Windows printer drivers for contract driver development.
BAUER ENTERPRISES – San Jose, CA, 1/1986 – 6/1989
Co-founder – Product Manager
Established development lab and ultimately became responsible for sales and marketing of Printer Emulation testing software, increasing sales to over $1M. Forecasting, research, planning, customer relations, trade shows, and sustaining marketing.
Marketing Strategy – University of Washington, 1992
Product Planning – Washington State University, 1993
Control Data Institute – Certification in Computer Technology, Los Angeles, CA 1000 hours