Akpan T. Okon
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCES
• Telecommunications Project Management,
• Fiber Network Design
• Network Security,
• ATM/Frame Relay Network Design and Implementation,
• IP’s Infrastructure Management
• Broadband Provisioning
• Routing and Capacity Planning.
• University of Maryland University College, Master of Science in Telecommunications Management 06/2000
• Strayer University, Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems 06/1993
CERTIFICATIONS: MCSE, CCNA, Security+, Network+
High Tech Enterprises, LLC, 06/2006 to Present, IT Consultant
• Performs diagnostics and troubleshooting of network servers and routers for solution.
• Performs network system analysis and evaluation. Assist in configuration and implement network connectivity.
• Configure high-speed modems, Cisco routers and Gateways.
• Perform help desk functions, assist in escalation of unresolved issues by opening trouble tickets.
• Coordinate with other department such as helpdesk, dispatches, technical, IT for problem resolution.
• Manage assign queue tasks through proper utilization of appropriate databases for timely, and courteous result.
Verizon Corporation, 09/2005-06/2006, Global Network Analyst
• Defined the metrics required to continually analyze performance including provisioning performance evaluation.
• Provided problem analysis and ongoing user support, coordinating systems development and implementation, and training users on functionality of applications.
• Provided appropriate and timely corrective action when user operations are adversely impacted by systems application malfunction or error.
• Reviewed error codes generated by the systems applications to determine appropriate course of action for correction.
• Reviewed and updated application documentation and training materials to ensure that information is accurate, relevant, current and user friendly.
• Managed global plans and initiatives to ensure compliance with corporate strategic business directives.
Winstar Communications, 04/2003-09/2005, Database Administrator
• I was responsible for managing the Database Development Team in order to maintain data integrity & reporting and ensure a quality solution is built to meet company’s expectations.
• I have extensive DB experience using various SDLC’s. In addition, I ensured solutions aligned with our customers and departments goals and objectives, as well as oversee all projects related to delivering the operational reports and customer metrics to the business units.
• Maintains smooth operation of multi-user computer systems, including coordination with network administrators.
• Duties included setting up administrator and service accounts, maintaining system documentation, tuning system performance, installing system wide software and allocate mass storage space.
• Interacts with users and evaluates vendor products. Makes recommendations to purchase hardware and software, coordinates installation and provides backup recovery.
• Develops and monitors policies and standards for allocation related to the use of computing resources.
Cable & Wireless Corporations, 02/1998-04/2003, Network Engineer
• Designed, routed and switched network infrastructures and services involving LAN, WAN, and broadband access.
• Installed, and configured medium-size routers and switches on networks, including implementation and verification of connections to remote WAN sites.
• Coordinated with Site Techs to perform verification, and validation of the build-out of network components (switch model, switch cards, IOS version, uplink connectivity, and cabling identification and verification) from a high-level.
• Designed and installation of voice and data backbone circuits on a challenging schedule.
• Managed broadband circuit provisioning and routing group on Internet Peering project. Designed, implemented and maintained SONET DWDM networks as well as provisioned optical circuit in support of IP Infrastructure and ATM backbone.
• Provided tracking for Voice and Data circuits and maintained inventory of terminating equipments such as Fujitsu, Cisco, and Lucent.
QWEST Communications, 09/1995-02/1998, Network Circuit Designer
• Supported global network team on design and implementation LAN, WAN, Sonet, ISDN, DSL, Frame Relay, and Global Networks.
• Provided documentation of telecommunications data, IP PBX, and VoIP Hardware installation such as Gateways, Routing Equipment (Routers/Hubs/Switches/Bridges).
• Developed Excel spreadsheets to track Network capacity, and determine future growth, network reconfiguration and/or decommissioning.
GEOTEK Communications, 06/1993-09/1995, Technical Support Manager
• Managed team of technical support personnel in wireless systems environments.
• Prepared systems configuration and management documentations to support remote access to client sites.
• Diagnosed and analyzed technical issues and acted as point of escalation on all trouble ticket issues.
• Recommended and analyzed the deployment of hubs, switches and routers technologies and infrastructure.
• Analyzed and evaluated telecommunications performance, identified deficiencies, and developed and implemented plans to improve performance and correct deficiencies.
REFERENCES: Available upon request