DONALD L. FLY
Proactive Asset Management professional with cross functional commercial real estate mortgage banking experience, managing high-profile loan portfolios valued from $3B to $10B, including contract negotiations, risk management, and loan servicing. Adept at facilitating open, solution-focused communication among clients within a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment to finalize complex agreements and effectively service loans. Known for ability to consistently select quality talent and build/mentor teams that exceed loan servicing requirements. Employees hired have progressed with increasing levels of responsibility, resulting in above average retention rates. Strengths include:
* Client/Borrower Relationship Management
* Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities (CMBS)
* Financial Analysis, Auditing & Compliance
* Reserves Administration & Risk Management
* Mortgage Loan Administration, Servicing & Collections
* Contract, Lease & Property Management
* Teambuilding & Talent Management
* Project Management & Business Process Improvement
* Negotiated with investors and third parties to obtain rating agency support for new tenant reserve modification requirements, allowing borrower funding prior to build-out completion. Large loan balance: $270M with $90M in mezzanine notes.
* Authorized, on average, over 40 escrow and reserves disbursement approvals per week up to $250k each, with Vice President delegation authority up to $5M.
* Worked closely with legal counsel and mezzanine lender to negotiate and complete a $35M multi-family, four-property, mezzanine loan foreclosure in less than 60 days, including appointment of new property management companies.
* Led CMBS team through annual $10.5M internal and third-party loan portfolio audits as well as annual rating agency reviews (S&P, Moody’s and Fitch), consistently passing with no material findings or losses.
KEYBANK REAL ESTATE CAPITAL, Overland Park, KS 1999 - 2011
Manager – Portfolio Services, CMBS and Large Loans Primary Servicing 2005 - 2011
Directed team of six to eight Account Managers in the servicing of a $10B CMBS portfolio, comprised of an average 140 - 150 loans with 20 – 40 average aggregate large loans, and as the primary bank contact to business owners, third-party servicers, legal counsel and other interested parties for asset management real estate issues. Assessed potential risks associated with borrowers’ requests and contract interpretations, making business decisions regarding legal matters and involving management and legal counsel when applicable. Approved borrower requests for funding and disbursements up to $250M related to escrow, reserves and insurance losses, including large loans with third-party mezzanine debt. Supervised team workflow with an emphasis on risk mitigation and contractual fiduciary responsibilities. Coached team in cash management requirements analysis and problem-solving related to bank lockbox operations and monthly borrower payment postings.
* Selected and developed the account management team, including six promotions to Senior Account Manager and one promotion to Portfolio Manager. Five from the original team continue to work at the bank after seven years.
* Established new reserve funding requirements and obtained client support to enable borrower funding prior to vs. completion of property build-outs.
Asset Administrator/Team Lead – CMBS Master and Primary Loan Servicing 1999 - 2005
Original member of start-up mortgage banking and loan servicing company, National Realty Funding (NRF), purchased by KeyBank in 2000. Managed servicing and compliance activities for the CMBS loan portfolio valued at over $4.5M, consisting of 185 – 200 loans. Monitored portfolio-wide compliance with loan servicing guidelines and served as the subject matter expert (SME) for asset management of real estate issues as well as loan payment/payoff accounting and loan collections, including analysis and resolution of any issues raised by borrowers. Documented borrower-initiated loan agreement modifications, assumptions, earnouts, lease approvals, letters of credit and reserve draw requests.
* Established loan administration processes for start-up NRF operations, including case write-ups, loan system set-up, taxes, and insurance which transferred seamlessly from NRF into multiple KeyBank servicing departments.
* Strictly monitored high-risk real estate loans and conducted monthly Watch List review meetings, to ensure accurate Debt Service Coverage Ratio (DSCR) analysis and initiate quick action on potential payment issues to avoid potential multi-million dollar default liability.
DONALD L. FLY PAGE TWO
KEYBANK REAL ESTATE CAPITAL (Continued)
* Developed training, which remains in use today, to provide dedicated skills development support to newly hired Asset Administrators, improving accuracy and adherence to servicing guidelines. Training included loan servicing requirements and borrower payment accounting with taxes and insurance requirements.
MIDLAND LOAN SERVICES, member of PNC Financial Services Group, Kansas City, MO
Senior Commercial Loan Review Analyst 1997 - 1999
Performed audits of commercial loan documents related to new loan acquisitions for seamless servicing responsibilities transfer from lenders, including collateral guidelines and real estate valuations. Compiled all necessary collateral documents and real estate appraisals.
* Reviewed property tax and insurance requirements to ensure necessary servicing guidelines were in place.
* Examined promissory notes to ensure proper payment structures were established and all legal requirements were satisfied.
Foreclosure and Refinance Specialist, Transamerica Financial Services, Lenexa, KS. Reviewed real estate collateral requirements and appraisals which encompassed consumer and residential loan portfolio underwriting. Structured refinance applications of first and second residential mortgages. Negotiated residential loan foreclosure collections and workouts (90-120 day delinquencies).
Loan Review Consultant, Bank IV/Boatmen’s Bank/Nations Bank (now Bank of America), Kansas City, MO. Special projects loan review contractor/SME responsible for examination, analysis, and transfer of physical commercial/residential loan files and related assets in bank mergers/sales. Reviewed credit and commercial files as well as collateral documents, including notes, mortgages, deeds, and assignments. Verified accuracy of chain of property titles, legal recordings, and ownership assignments. Examined residential VA, FNMA, and GNMA agency loan files for underwriting compliance and verified existence of collateral documentation.
Asset/Loan Review Specialist/Contract Administrator, Resolution Trust Corporation, Kansas City, MO. Responsible for loan reviews/due diligence projects for the FDIC and RTC. Verified assets and reviewed commercial loan documents of receiverships and S&Ls. Served as Contract Administrator at large S&L, supervising all documentation of contract filings, invoicing and payment requirements. Main contact for review of appraisals, environmental assessments and other contracts. Analyzed collections to ensure timeliness of loan participants and bank servicers. Implemented procedures to ensure proper legal assignments and ownership transfers.
Soldier/Administrative Support, United States Army, Fort Sill OK/Germany. Three years of active military duty followed by honorable discharge.
BS, Political Science with American Government emphasis, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
Double Minor, Public Administration and History, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
Coursework, Intermediate Excel, Johnson County Community College, Overland Park, KS
McCracken, AS 400 loan servicing system
Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
KeyBank Community Service Days, Volunteer, 10 consecutive years
(Habitat for Humanity, Jackson County Parks, WWI Memorial, local animal shelters)