Many years of management experience commercializing various technologies, including project, plant, application development, and corporate management, usually with P&L responsibility. Demonstrated success and growth of business. Broad experience with many aspects of business, such as research and development, operations, quality systems, process validation and control, sales and marketing, … Ph.D. in physics.
2004 – 2011 Sterigenics International (spun out from IBA)
Vice President, Advanced Applications
* Business and application development involving improvement of material properties using radiation, with US revenue growth responsibility.
* Provided marketing, application development, and technical training support to electron beam processing plants in China, Thailand, and Denmark.
* Continued managing four radiation processing service centers in first years, with P&L responsibility.
1999 – 2004 Ion Beam Applications, s.a. (IBA) (purchased SteriGenics International)
Vice President and then President, Advanced Materials
* Business and application development involving improvement of material properties using radiation, with revenue growth responsibility.
* Directly involved with expansion of company’s electron-beam and x-ray radiation processing service center network. Purchased Irradiation Industries, Inc.; built plants in New Jersey and Thailand.
* Managed four radiation processing service centers (electron-beam, gamma, and x-ray), with P&L responsibility. Services included material property improvements and medical device sterilization.
1998 – 1999 SteriGenics International (purchased Nicolet Electron Services)
Director, E-Beam Services
* Managed San Diego electron-beam radiation processing center performing medical device sterilization, material properties enhancement, and irradiation for radiation hardness testing, with P&L responsibility.
* Built the company’s expertise in electron-beam processing.
* Directly involved with strategy to expand company’s electron-beam and x-ray radiation processing service center network. Expansion was implemented during the IBA tenure.
1994 – 1998 Nicolet Imaging Systems (a ThermoSpectra company, which purchased IRT)
General Manager, Nicolet Electron Services
* Managed San Diego electron-beam radiation processing center performing medical device sterilization, materials enhancement, and irradiation for radiation hardness testing, with P&L responsibility.
1989 - 1994 IRT Corporation
Marketing Manager and then Director, Radiation Processing Department
* Progressed from Marketing Manager responsible for sales growth to manager of San Diego electron-beam radiation processing center performing medical device sterilization, materials enhancement, topaz colorization, and irradiation for radiation hardness testing, with P&L responsibility.
1978 - 1989 IRT Corporation
Staff Physicist, Nuclear Systems Division, progressing to Manager, Projects & Product Development, Automated Systems Division
* Progressed from being a core member of project teams, to project manager, and finally the manager of project managers, involving 1) complex automated inspection systems using gamma, x-ray, and neutron radiation; and 2) radiation gaging and radioscopy. Full responsibility from specification definition to installation. Achieved budget and schedule responsibilities.
* Held security clearance while working on various DOD contracts
Florida State University
* Research Associate, Physics Department
* Performed research in experimental nuclear physics in a postdoctoral position.
* Taught undergraduate physics courses.
University of Texas at Austin
* Ph.D. – Physics
Argonne National Laboratory, Physics Division
* Ph.D. thesis research
Emporia State University
* M.S. – Physics
* B.A. - Mathematics
Dodge City Community Junior College
From the early 1990’s to early 2000’s, was a member of Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) radiation sterilization and American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) dosimetry for radiation processing committees, involved with creating what are now international standards for radiation sterilization of medical devices and dosimetry used in radiation processing.
* Available upon request