Judith G. Davis, PHR
Birmingham, Alabama 35213
Energetic and hard working Human Resources professional with extensive background in healthcare, legal and general management. Strong service orientation and commitment to implementing solutions appropriate for organizations served. Proven track record in recruiting at all levels. Creative approach to employee relations, training and team building. Seeking opportunity to add value to new organization using business service and human resources skills.
Shelton State Community College 2012 and current
Human Resources Consultant
Provide consultation services and support to the Human Resources Department of a community college including but not limited to employee relations, employee counseling, recruiting and retention, project management.
• Work directly with Special Assistant to the President for External Affairs
• Provide support and direction to HR staff regarding issues and services offered.
Birmingham, Alabama 2011-2012
Independent Human Resources Consultant
Provide contract recruiting and human resources services to individual clients including ad placement, candidate screening, interviewing, coaching and counseling.
Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP 2004-2011
Human Resources Director/Human Resources Manager
Oversaw human resources function for seven office law firm with 400 attorneys and 400 staff in five states. Supervised HR Manager and Coordinator. Responsible for employee relations, compensation, policies and procedures, recruitment and training. Built strong relationships with firm directors, attorneys and staff.
• Member of management team that helped grow firm 40+% within seven years- built support team to sustain growth
• Improved recruiting function to reduce dependency on external sources- filled an average of 15-20 positions in multiple offices each year through variety of sources
• Successfully implemented viDesktop on-line employee appraisal system-evaluated vendors, presented proposal to management, piloted and rolled out program within six months and improved consistency of evaluation process
• Built HR infrastructure including policy manual, job descriptions, evaluated benefits and insured, competitiveness in the marketplace
• Participated in the firm’s largest merger- evaluating staffing and salaries, job descriptions and eliminated/consolidated positions when necessary across several offices
• Conducted focus groups and worked with teams to expand and diversify training- offered 200+ classroom, e-learning, just-in-time, webinars and one-on-one learning solutions to keep office staff current in technology and customer service skills
• Created catastrophic leave policy that allowed employees to donate time to others in need
• Participated in annual budget process and worked with managing partners to plan for new positions, salaries, HR expenses, events, rewards and recognitions for each location
• Helped maintain employer of choice reputation by providing strong human resources programs and services-monitored morale, evaluated pay, benefits and policies
National Nephrology Associates 1997-2004
Human Resources Manager
Hired as firm’s first HR Manager for Alabama Dialysis Services (ADS) with 125 employees. ADS was acquired by National Nephrology Associates in 2000. Services expanded to outpatient clinic and hospital dialysis treatments for patients in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas. Supported approximately 250 employees. Managed day to day Human Resource activities and traveled throughout the region.
• Revised employee handbook, implemented background check process, represented the firm in EEOC, Workers Compensation and Unemployment hearings
Baptist Health System 1979-1982 &1995-1997
Quality Improvement Facilitator
Manager of Professional Placement
Hired as recruiter at Montclair Hospital during nursing shortage. In addition to nursing, recruited all clinical and non-clinical positions. Promoted from Recruiter to Manager of Professional Placement for all hospitals within the Baptist System.
• Reduced vacancies 75% by deploying innovative recruiting strategies including television spots, radio, print ads and on site recruiting at job fairs and on college campuses
• Established nursing scholarship program to incentivize high school students to pursue nursing careers
• Promoted to Quality Improvement Facilitator- worked with department heads and nurse managers to identify process improvement teams and implement solutions- representative projects included reducing turnaround time for lab tests, improved timeliness and delivery of mail and other projects to improve the delivery of services and reduce costs
Beverly Enterprises 1983-1995
Social Services Coordinator/Admissions Director
Opened a new 120 bed nursing facility for Beverly Enterprises. Participated in licensing of facility, Medical and Medicaid programs and employee staffing. Screened and qualified patients. Followed up with each patient on their social services needs, updated charts, ordered durable medical equipment, arranged pastoral care and discharged patients.
• Maintained high quality and compliance scores for state and federal inspections
Other positions held: Program Manager, access Unlimited, Birmingham, Al (CETA Grant Program) and Research Assistant, American Institute of Architects (AIA Research Corporation), Washington, D.C.
B.A. Sociology, Wilkes College, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
Certified Professional in Human Resources (PHR) 1999- present. Recertified in 2011. Served as instructor for PHR/SPHR Recertification class 22006-2007