firstname.lastname@example.org | www.linkedin.com/pub/michael-karol/21/864/561 | sitcomboy.com/blog1/
EDITOR ● MANAGING EDITOR ● COPY CHIEF ● AUTHOR
I supervise a publication’s production from concept to the printed page, in print, online, or on a tablet. I edit for clarity and logic, suggesting changes in text that preserve the writer’s voice and echo the magazine's style.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERTISE:
•Editorial, in print, online, tablet: Write, assign, edit, copyedit, and proofread text; social networking, including blogging, Twitter, and Facebook; traffic pages between art and editorial; develop, write and produce all collateral materials. Use AP Stylebook, Chicago Manual of Style, and Merriam-Webster.
•Managerial: Department head/supervisor; direct all editorial operations; train employees; hire, assign, and bill freelancers in art and editorial; conduct yearly employee reviews.
• Computer, MAC and PC: Adobe InDesign/InCopy on K4; QuarkXpress; Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); Adobe Photoshop (modifying image size and scale, formatting) and Acrobat.
• Author: Nine books, including the best sellers Lucy A to Z: The Lucille Ball Encyclopedia, 2008; and The ABC Movie of the Week Companion, 2009. Guest lecturer at conventions and charity events.
• Web/Internet: Code HMTL; Web producer/content manager, www.Sitcomboy.com; SEO Best Practices; Co-Manager/Web site editor, SoapOperaWeekly.com; Web Site Content Manager, CMP’s Planet IT.
• THE WRITE STUFF, New York, NY May 2011–Present
Freelance Copy Chief, Copy Editor, Digital Editor, Writer/Clients include Westchester magazine, Prevention, OK!, Soap Opera Digest, In Touch, Fortune, Gateway Computers, CNET, The College Board, Martha Stewart Living, Toshiba, and Ladies Home Journal
• AMERICAN MEDIA, INC., New York, NY November 2011–December 2011
Copy Chief/One Life to Live Special Farewell Issue
• SOURCE INTERLINK MEDIA, New York, NY July 2003–May 2011
Copy Chief/Editor, Soap Opera Weekly, July 2003–May 2011
Copy Chief, Pixie, a magazine for tweens, September 2006–May 2011
• MARTHA STEWART LIVING OMNIMEDIA, New York, NY May 2002–March 2003
Freelance Copy Editor/Copy Chief, Martha Stewart Living / Martha by Mail
• CNET NETWORKS, New York, NY July 2001–June 2003
Editorial Consultant/Co-Managing Editor, the Gateway Guide and the Fortune/CNET Tech Review
• THEDEAL.COM, New York, NY July 2000–July 2001
Editor, E-Mail Newsletters Created, edited, and dispatched 10 e-mail newsletters a week.
• CMP MEDIA, INC., New York, NY May 1998–January 2000
Web Site Content Manager, Planet IT; uploaded and edited 17 high-tech newsletters a week.
• ZIFF-DAVIS, New York, NY September 1996–March 1998
Copy Chief, Computer Shopper magazine
• CAHNERS PUBLISHING, New York, NY January 1990–August 1996
Managing Editor, Graphic Arts Monthly
M.S. Communications, 1977, Boston University College of Communications, Boston
B.A. Sociology/Communications, 1975, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
Cahners Publishing Editorial Medal of Excellence, 1996
Folio: magazine Eddie Award for Outstanding Editorial and Design, Soap Opera Weekly, 2003
American Business Media Jesse H. Neal Awards Finalist, 1993 and 1996