JOSEPH H. KAVANAGH BS, MBA
• Over 15 years of successful commercial development, US and international marketing, sales (includes 8 product launches), market research, opinion leader development, and science research experience. Products marketed and sold include: ARCOXIA, PRIMAXIN/TIENAM, CANCIDAS, SEBIVO/TYZEKA, COZAAR/HYZAAR, SINGULAIR and ZOCOR
• Developed and executed successful global launch strategy for SEBIVO/TYZEKA (Anti-Infective, approved in over 50 countries) as Associate Director of Brand with Idenix Pharmaceuticals and Novartis AG Strategic Alliance that resulted in launch forecast being exceeded by up to 25% in select markets
• Strong interpersonal, communication and project management skills with experience in direct team leadership and mentoring roles used to effectively provide commercial direction to project teams
• Identified and developed key sustainable relationships with international, national and regional Key Opinion Leaders (KOL’s) in Infectious Disease and Oncology/Hematology that was pivotal for successful launch
• Proven sales growth record of up to 175% as a Merck Hospital Representative
• Successful medicinal chemistry experience used to identify, develop and evaluate new targets with basic research teams that included drug metabolism and pharmacology
MARKETING & SALES EXPERIENCE
(14 Years of Increasing Responsibility)
BOSTON BIOCONSULTING, Boston, MA 2008 – Present
Company Founder & Director for Product Brand Management
• Awarded European Union (EU) government grant to complete feasibility study on marketing branded generic pharmaceuticals in niche and specialty European Union hospital markets
TALECRIS BIOTHERAPEUTICS, Research Triangle Park, NC 2007 - 2008
Deputy Director, Global Commercial Development, Immunology (Company being acquired by Grifols SA)
• Aligned with U.S. and Regional Marketing, Medical Affairs, and Clinical to develop and recommend product positioning, messaging, and branding strategy global re-launch of GAMUNEX
• Developed product life cycle strategy and strategic marketing plans for GAMUNEX that optimized commercial potential including identifying unique and sustainable competitive advantages for pipeline line extensions
IDENIX PHARMACEUTICALS, (NOVARTIS AG /IDENIX Alliance) Cambridge, MA 2005- 2007
Associate Director - Global Product Marketing, Hepatitis B
- Lead, develop and execute competitive launch strategy to maximize opportunities and effectively position
launch drug in partnership with Senior Directors of Global and Country Marketing
- Global Band Team Leader responsible for development and implementation of global brand communication
strategy that include branding, promotional tactics, congresses, publications, advertising and opinion leader
• Spearheaded global initiative to develop publication strategy that shaped the Hepatitis B market and maximized potential of product positioning at launch
• Recognized by Senior Management, Country Sales Training, and Country Brand Managers for outstanding contribution to global launch program that included providing highest quality sales training materials, effective messaging at several symposia and a comprehensive provision of sales representative support material (Detail Aids, Branding Guidelines, KOL Mapping tools, KOL Slide Sets, Segmentation Tools, Product and Disease Monographs etc)
• Coordinated activities with Market Research, Marketing Statistics, and Clinical Operations to analyze results from entire clinical data set that provided the basis for post launch differentiation and promotion strategy
MERCK & CO INC., 1997- 2005
(Recruited into Management Development Program for High Potential Marketers)
Promoted into 4 positions of increasing responsibility: Senior Strategic Planning Manager, Brand Product Marketing Manager, Medical Scientific Liaison, Hospital Territory Manager and Market Analyst
Senior Strategic Planning Manager, Worldwide Human Health Marketing, 2005
• Led cross functional teams including function representatives from global and regional marketing,
finance, and legal departments to develop and implement industry leading marketing effectiveness
Brand Product Marketing Manager 2003 – 2005
• Conceptualized and led the development and implementation of global promotional/communication strategy, plans and programs in support of assigned brands (ARCOXIA, CANCIDAS, STOCRIN)
• Recipient of 2004 Merck Marketing Award (Best communication plan) for development and execution of outstanding communication strategy.
Infectious Disease Medical Scientific Liaison, 2000 - 2003
• Received a national Scientific Liaison Innovative Projects award in 2002 as a result of pilot project that focused on improving management of ICU infections
Hospital Territory Manager, Washington University School of Medicine 1998 - 2000
Barnes Jewish Health System, St Louis, MO
• Drove significant growth performance of over 175% for key products in a competitive marketplace
Market Analyst, Global Product Launch Team for SINGULAIR 1997 - 1998
• Recognized by senior management for outstanding contribution to SINGULAIR post launch strategy
EDUCATION AND SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
WYETH-AYERST RESEARCH (Now PFIZER Inc.), Princeton NJ 1991 - 1995
Medicinal Chemist (schizophrenia and osteoporosis research)
• Commended for outstanding contribution to drug discovery program based on large number of compounds synthesized. Co-authored paper on drug/brain interactions published in Journal of Medicinal Chemistry
MBA (INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT)
Thunderbird, Graduate School of Global Management, Glendale, AZ
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BIOCHEMISTRY)
Rider University, Lawrenceville, NJ
Presidential Scholar: Awarded four year full tuition academic scholarship
Project Management/Clinical Trials/Strategy/Operations
Boston, MA - pharma, formulation, pharmaceutical, clinical,...
Woburn, MA - candidates, lead, marketing, salesforce, google,...
Senior Director, Strategy & Finance
Boston, MA - operational, emc, operating, forecasting,...
SVP, Retail Sales
Arlington, MA - green, target, demand, coffee, beverages, fred,...
Director, Product Brand Marketing
Bedford, NH - campaign, nh, marketing, enterprise, teams,...
Boston, MA - pharmacovigilance, clinical, review, research,...
Boston, MA - revenue, catering, brand, re, delivery, b2b,...