SANDY B. THOMASON, SPHR
**** ****** ****, **** ******, NC 27587
Accomplished, respected and energetic HR professional with extensive leadership and experience in all HR functions in both large and small companies, including technology and manufacturing. Skilled at managing both strategic and tactical HR functions. SPHR certified since 1999. Experience creating company’s first HR department. Areas of expertise:
• Compliance and Safety • Performance Management
• Program/Project Management • Public Relations and Communications
• Employee Relations & Process Improvement
• Employee Benefits, Health & Wellness • Community Relations & Special Events
• Training and Development
Capital Associated Industries (CAI) – Raleigh Current
Human Resources Consultant – Currently providing HR consulting services to CAI clients (pharmaceutical, restaurant). This includes conducting thorough audits/assessments and providing written reports with results, gaps and recommendations; also, writing policies. CAI helps maximize employee engagement and minimize employer liability through human resources and management advice, training, news, survey data, public policy advocacy and consulting services.
Sirchie – Youngsville 2009 -2012
Human Resources Manager – Direct, plan and coordinate all Human Resource Functions, Employee Relations, Community Relations and Employee Communications to include: Recruitment and Staffing, Compensation, Benefits Administration, 401K, Mediation/Disputes, Safety Program, Workers Compensation, Performance Management, Compliance with Legal Requirements and Regulations, Policies and Procedures Development, Contributions, Training & Development, Job Descriptions, Development of Health & Wellness Program, and Coaching Management Staff on HR Policies & Procedures. Created Sirchie’s first HR Department by developing and implementing many new processes and procedures for an international company in business since 1927, as its first Human Resources employee/Manager.
• 57% improvement in safety incidents as a result of new safety program I managed; implemented 1st drug and background screening; developed 1st recognition programs (service anniversary, retirement, etc.); created 1st HIPPA manual/process; established 1st formal FMLA process; initiated Pay for Performance program; wrote 1st job descriptions; created 1st internal job posting process; created new employee orientation guidelines and process; implemented E-Verify; dramatically increased benefit offerings and developed 1st ‘Benefits Fair’; created company’s 1st wellness program (and 1st Flu Shot Clinic); implemented Lunch and Learns; initiated formal AAP; initiated use of temporary employees for the 1st time in NJ; developed a termination process; managed COBRA; wrote many new policies (including safety); established consistent Workman’s Compensation process; Community Relations - brought in 1st Bloodmobile and March of Dimes Walk.
Capital Associated Industries – Raleigh 2009
Human Resources Consultant (at Sirchie) – Directed all Human Resource Functions, Employee Relations, Community Relations and Employee Communications at Sirchie (see above)
EMBARQ® Business Markets – Wake Forest 2005-2008
Program Manager - Managed training and development strategy for National Field Sales organization (500+) to ensure transfer of knowledge of new and existing products and services, in order to meet sales objectives
• Managed a large, high-profile project to prepare sales force to sell strategic data products through new courses, coaching, workshops, communications, reporting, metrics, and on-going reinforcement; received highest level award for leading this project
• Created a new concept and managed the development by providing 2 on-line resources for sales: one for managers and one for new hires/current sales employees.
• Teamed with several different organizations on the Sales Methodology project to develop and implement a new sales approach; managed the sales simulation training for the entire sales force at the end of this launch; received an award from the company for this work
Sprint National Network Services – Wake Forest 2001-2005
Program Manager - Managed training and development strategy for 500+ business technicians by supporting deployment of new sales activities, as well as managing many special projects that had direct impact on the technicians. Initiated process improvement projects to increase efficiencies and developed supporting methods and procedures.
• Managed a national ride-a-long project where employees rode with technicians to identify roadblocks they faced; led to identification of many issues and then solutions, which in turn increased productivity, clarification of methods and procedures, increased training, and increased revenues and collections
• Chaired a Load Reduction and Cost Containment team – to decrease ‘truck rolls’ and improve efficiencies; also initiated idea and work on a “Commitments Met” team which led to 5% increase in commitments met; received company award for this project
• Evaluated the customer satisfaction survey results, making recommendations for different questions, measurements and improvements
Sprint Human Resources – Wake Forest 1997-2001
Senior Recruiter/HR Program Manager - Directed selection process by sourcing, recruiting, and interviewing perspective candidates. Developed recruitment strategies, determined compensation, and staffed according to EEO/AA guidelines. Advised management of HR policies and procedures and consulted on employee relations issues related to staffing and workforce development.
• Managed this entire process for business markets (1,500+) – sales, engineers and technicians, as well as residential call centers; represented the company at career fairs
• Standardized HR policies and procedures, including: compensation, drug-screening process, transfer processes, etc; initiated idea to improve drug screening process
• Presented orientation training to new hires and National Management Practices to managers
• Developed interview questions for hiring managers (many times I handled the first interview)
• Determined salaries, working with internal information and the hiring manager
• Managed special projects involving reorganizations, job descriptions and staffing
• Implemented and trained region on new performance management system; became the subject matter expert on the program; other regions in the country followed our lead
• Counseled and coached executives on conducing performance reviews as well as team performance
• Organized succession planning information to develop a “High-Potential Book” – working with executives
• Consulted with Directors to evaluate departmental processes – compiled and analyzed data – recommended solutions; led change management initiatives
Master of Science, Organizational Communication, NC State University, Raleigh, NC 2005
Bachelor of Arts, Communication, Public Relations Concentration, NC State University, Raleigh, NC 2000
• Graduated Summa Cum Laude
• Inducted into 4 honor societies: Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Beta Kappa, Golden Key Honor Society and Lambda Pi Eta.
• Selected to be the Student Commencement Speaker for NC State 2000 graduation – over 2400 graduates
• Candidate for Outstanding Student of Department
• Master’s – 4.0 GPA; Undergraduate Degree – 3.91 GPA, 4.0 in major; National Dean’s List recipient
• Currently hold Senior Professional In Human Resources Certification – SPHR certified since 1999
COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP AND INVOLVEMENT
• President - Wake Forest Kiwanis Club - 2008-2009; 3-year board member; “Kiwanian of the Year” award in 2007
• Current Chair: Town of Wake Forest Recreation Advisory Board (appt. by Town Council) ; board member since 2006
• Member of Wake Forest Centennial 1st Light New Year’s Eve committee
• Personnel committee (current) and nomination committee member at Church; currently serving on ‘search committee’ for new minister
• Wake Forest Chamber Leadership Program graduate and past Chamber “Member of the Month” winner
• Chamber Education Committee member for 7 years (coordinated high school career fairs each year)
• NC Child Advocacy Institute – Communications Team member
• Junior Achievement volunteer; Optimist Club Board Member; High School Athletic Booster Club Leader
• Edgecombe County Kids Count Committee Member
• Wake County Schools Education Summit Facilitator
• Volunteer softball coach for 9 years; also, basketball coach; guest speaker at various events