Merrick, N.Y. 11566 Cell 516-***-****
Proven Human Resource Leader with demonstrated success in multiple disciplines of Human Resource Management. Recognized as a self-starting, action-orientated, results-oriented, strategic thinker with the ability to energize others to create, own and implement new ideas. Possess a natural capability for assessment and a participative leadership style with International experience and a strong financial background. Core competencies lend strengths to:
Compensation Management Total Rewards Benefit Plan Development Pension Administration
Sales Talent Management Succession Planning Mergers & Acquisitions Employee Relations Talent Acquisition Process Implementation
Organizational Effectiveness Strategic Planning
AbitibiBowater, Inc. Director of Human Resources 1993 – 2012
Forest Products Company with $5 Billion in Annual Sales
Director of Human Resources Montreal, Canada 2009-2012
• Led the Corporate HR function for 500+ employees at the head office during bankruptcy restructuring.
• Human Resource Business Partner for Sales and Supply Chain organizations, providing strategic direction and implementation of compensation and incentive plans to align total rewards with Company and business objectives.
• Managed Corporate Compensation, Benefits, Recruitment and Policies for 3000+ non-unionized employees.
• Worked with Senior Management to prepare Board presentations for Compensation programs implemented during and post bankruptcy. Programs consisted of stay incentive bonus plan, retention incentives and post emergence salary structure.
• Chosen to lead the Human Resource bankruptcy employee compensation claim process for over 8000 employees, including the Executive team.
• Responsible for a team of 6 Human Resource Professionals
• Provided strategic direction to US for Compensation and Benefit Plans.
Acting Director of Human Resources Greenville, SC 2008-2009
• At the request of Senior Management, led the US Human Resource team in the consolidation and implementation of the compensation, pension, 401(k), health benefit programs and centralized the payroll system post the merger of Abitibi Consolidated and Bowater, Inc. Under tight timeline of 8 months, successfully converted all plans and employees into AbitibiBowater, Inc. programs. Achieved over $6 million dollars in synergy savings. Managed a staff of 9 Human Resource Professionals.
• Developed US Policy and Procedures for merged Company, including all Compensation Plans.
TONY MARANO PAGE 2
US HR Integration Team Leader White Plains, NY 2007-2008
• Responsible for pre-merger due diligence of pension, benefit, and compensation plans.
• Developed the Sales and Supply Chain staffing process for the new Company. Organized the interview procedure and the evaluation and selection process for 70+ Sales and 150+ Supply Chain employees.
• Designed and implemented Sales and Supply Chain bonus programs for merged Company.
• Created the merger Integration Workplan, outlining and defining the Human Resource Day 1 Readiness Plan, Synergy Plan and Organizational structure. Successful implementation.
Senior HR Manager White Plains, NY 2000-2007
• Centralized the Health Benefit programs, including the open enrollment process. Implementation of an in-house JDE system and developed an online Flexible Benefit Program, resulting in 20% reduction in total costs and increased employee satisfaction.
• Led the succession planning program for the Sales and Supply Chain organizations. Worked with Senior Vice-Presidents to recognize and develop the future leaders of the Company. Established an employee rating system and conducted organizational reviews with senior leadership. Created training, mentoring and cross functional opportunities for those identified.
• Led the Sales force Variable Pay Program. Worked with Sales Leaders to establish sales objectives based on business needs, positively focusing on enhanced bottom line results.
• Developed a competency tool and evaluation process for the Sales and Technical Services workforce. The program consisted of 12 competencies under 5 distinct areas of concentration. Led the employees through both a management and a self evaluation process. From this, developed training programs, mentoring relationships and incorporated results into succession plans.
• Managed and communicated the Senior Executive SERP program.
• Led all plan conversions after multiple mergers and acquisitions. Every conversion was successively achieved per budget and timeline.
• Evaluated various RFP’s and selection of providers. Managed vendor relationships.
• Chairman of US Pension and Benefit Committee. Responsibilities included review and selection of plan offerings and communication of programs to employees and retirees.
• Administered and communicated US ESOP, RSU and DSU programs, the Company’s stock ownership and reward programs.
• US Corporate representative for FPICA group, an industry compensation survey and network organization.
• Trained as a Company Internal Consultant, participating in leading numerous Corporate Leadership programs and Team Skills & Coaching classes. Member of a group of committed and trained employees that supported and facilitated the development of the next 100 leaders of the Company on an annual basis.
• Coordinated, developed and communicated programs in staffing, severance, relocation, expatriate relocation, mentoring, coaching, employee relations, performance management, variable compensation, job evaluations, fleet management and training.
TONY MARANO PAGE 3
HR Manager White Plains, NY 1995-2000
• Developed and implemented an Employee Retirement Program consisting of a Cash Balance Pension Plan and matching 401(k) Plan. Converted employees from traditional DB Pension Plan into new Cash Balance Plan. Reduced overall pension costs by 20%.
• Centralized the US payroll function, converting to in-house integrated JDE system, reducing payroll costs by 30%.
• Company point person for annual audits and 5500 filing.
• On the relocation team for office move from New York City to Westchester, NY.
US Corporate Assistant Controller New York, NY 1993-1995
• Responsible for the US Consolidated P&L Statement and Balance Sheet.
• Managed Pension and Payroll Accounting.
Fawer & Kupczyk, PC Accounting Manager 1984-1993
• Participated in and led various audit engagements.
• Preparation of financial reports and tax returns.
• Managed and trained Jr. Staff Accountants.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
B.S. Business Administration – Accounting Major – Binghamton University, New York - 1984
Human Resource Administration Certification Credits from New York University
Internal Consultant Certification - Roundstone International
Hay Compensation Evaluation Training
ACI-Way Leadership Program