CLAUDIA L. AVERBUJ, Ph.D.
***** ****** ***** ***, *** Diego, CA 92130
A Medical Affair position that makes full use of my scientific and pharmaceutical experience as well as my proven ability to interact and build relationships with an interdisciplinary group of professionals.
Highly skilled Scientist with post-doctoral training, and 11 years experience in pharmaceutical companies.
o Knowledge in therapeutic areas of cardiovascular, metabolic diseases and cystic fibrosis.
o Strong background from research to the clinical.
o Supervised research associates and scientists.
o Interacted across disciplines with biologists, pharmacologists, among other scientists.
o Prepare elegant and visual presentations on a weekly base.
o Thought courses during all the graduate years.
o Constantly keep up to date with scientific literature.
o Passionate about science, self motivated, and enthusiastic.
o Always open to learn and work hard.
o Ability to tactfully provide constructive feedback.
o Listening skills respecting the positions of others.
o Fluent in Spanish (mother tongue) and Hebrew.
VERTEX – SAN DIEGO, CA 10/2007 – 6/2012
Involved in the research of cystic fibrosis.
EXELIXIS, INC. – SAN DIEGO, CA 3/2007 – 3/2010
RESEARCH SCIENTIST II
Exploration of LXR, a nuclear receptor, as well as GPCR receptors, involved in metabolic disorders.
SENOMYX INC. – SAN DIEGO, CA 1/2005 – 3/2007
SR. RESEARCH SCIENTIST
Research of ion channel receptors, to generate sweet and salted enhancers.
ARENA PHARMACEUTICALS – SAN DIEGO, CA 9/2001 – 12/2004
RESEARCH SCIENTIST - DEPARTMENT OF MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY (9/2001 – 12/2003)
Development of novel agonists of the niacin receptor for cardiovascular diseases
THE SCRIPPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE – LA JOLLA, CA 2/1999 – 9/2001
POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE. Mentor: Prof. M.G.Finn (4/1999 – 4/2001)
Designed and developed a new screening technology for affinity selection for biological interactions.
TECHNION, ISRAEL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY 1991 - 1999
POST-DOCTORAL FELLOW. Mentor: Ilan Marek (7/1998 – 1/1999)
Synthesis of tris-metallated olefins in a single pot operation.
PH.D. THESIS RESEARCH. Advisor: Prof. Moris S. Eisen (5/1994 – 7/1998)
Preparation of catalysts for homogeneous catalysis.
M.SC. THESIS RESEARCH. Advisor: Prof. Sol Kimel (3/1991 – 5/1994)
Studies of a new generation of photosensitizers for Photodynamic Therapy (PDT).
TECHNION, ISRAEL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – HAIFA, ISRAEL FACULTY OF CHEMISTRY
Ph.D. Chemistry - July 1998
M. Sc. Chemistry - May 1994
B.A. Chemistry - March 1991
UCSD EXTENSION COURSES
Drug Metabolism – April 2007
Pharmacokinetics - July 2007
Selecting Promising Drug Candidates – October 2007
Preclinical Drug Discovery & Development – April 2008
Overview of the Drug Discovery Process – April 2010
US and EU Regulatory Affairs – August 2010
HONORS AND AWARDS
Principal Investigator: “Micromaterial Fabrication for Biomolecule Analysis”
National Institute of Health, Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Grant
Outstanding adjunct teacher - Technion, Israel Institute of Technology.
1. Synthesis and crystal structure of new early-lanthanide organometallic clusters. Barnea, E.; Averbuj, C.; Kapon, M.; Botoshansky, M.; Eisen M.. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry 2007, 28, 4535-4540.
2. Agonist lead identification for the high niacin receptor GPR109a. Gharbaoui, Tawfik; Skinner, Philip ; Shin, Young-Jun; Averbuj, Claudia; Jung, Jae-Kyu; Jhonson, Benjamin; Duong, Tracy; Decaire, Marc; Uy, Jane; Cherrier, Martin. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 2007, 17, 4914-4919.
3. Reactivity of group 4 benzamidinate complexes towards mono- and bis-substituted silanes and 1,5-hexadiene. Volkis, V.; Averbuj, C.; Eisen, M.S. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry 2007, 692(10), 1940-1950.
4. Cleavable Linkers for Porous Silicon-Based Mass Spectrometry. Jun-Cai Meng, Claudia Averbuj, Warren Lewis, Gary Siuzdak and M.G. Finn. Angew.Chem.Int.Ed. 2004, 43,1255-1260.
5. Addition elimination: A New Method for the Preparation of Organometallic Compounds. Annie Liard, Julia Kaftanov, Helena Chechik, Shahera Farhat, Natalia Morlender-Vais, Claudia Averbuj, Ilan Marek J.Organom.Chem. 2001, 624, 26-33.
6. Porous Silicon as a Versatile Platform for Laser Desorption/Ionization Mass Spectrometry. Zhouxin Shen, John J. Thomas, Claudia Averbuj, Klas M. Broo, Mark Engelhard, John E. Crowell, M.G. Finn, and Gary Siuzdak. Anal. Chem. 2001, 73, 612-619.
7. Synthesis and Reactivity of Polymetallated Olefins and Functionalized Metallo-Alkynes. Julia Kaftanov, Claudia Averbuj, Natalia Vais-Morlender, Annie Liard, Ilan Marek Polyhedron 2000, 19, 563-566.
8. First Synthesis of Metallated Titanacyclopropenes Claudia Averbuj, Julia Kaftanov, Ilan Marek Synlett 1999, 12, 1939-1941.
9. Catalytic Isomerization and Disproportiionation of Olefins Promoted by Group 4/d0 Benzamidinate Complexes. Claudia Averbuj and Moris S. Eisen. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1999, 121, 8755-8759.
10. Stereoregular Polymerization of -olefins Catalyzed by Chiral Group 4 Benzamidinate Complexes of C1 and C3 Symmetry. Claudia Averbuj, Edith Tish, and Moris S. Eisen. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1998, 120, 8640-8646.
11. Pressure Modulates Stereoregularities in the Polymerization of Propylene Promoted by rac-Octahedral Heteroallylic Complexes. Volkis, V.; Shmulinson, M.; Averbuj, C.; Lisovskii, A.; Edelmann, F.T.; Eisen, M.S. Organometallics 1998, 17, 3155-3157.
12. V. Gottfried, R. Davidi, C. Averbuj, and S. Kimel, “In-vivo Damage to Chorioallantoic Membrane Blood Vessels by Porphycene-Induced Photodynamic Therapy”, J. Photochem. Photobiol. B: Biol. 1995, 30, 115-121.
13. S. Kimel, V. Gottfried, R. Davidi and C. Averbuj, “In-vivo Uptake and Photodynamic Activity of Porphycenes”, Proc. SPIE 1994, 2078, 205-211.
1. Tachdjian, C.; Patron, A.; Bakir, F.; Averbuj, C.; Priest, C; Adamski-Werner S., Chen, Q; Darmohusodo, V.; Lebl-Rinnova M.; Kimmich R.; Tan, X.; Shigemura, R. Bis-Aromatic amides and their uses as sweet flavor modifiers, tastants and taste enhancers. WO 200-***-****.
2. Gharbaoui, Tawfik; Averbuj, Claudia; Carlos, Marlon V.; Lally, Edward A.; Sengupta, Dipanjan; Fritch, John R. Preparation of 5-phenylpyrazoles as 5-HT2A serotonin receptor modulators. WO 200-***-****
3. Semple, Graeme; Gharbaoui, Tawfik; Shin, Young-Jun; Decaire, Marc; Averbuj, Claudia; Skinner, Philip J. Preparation of 5-substituted 2H-pyrazole-3-carboxylic acid derivatives as agonists for the RUP25 nicotinic acid receptor for the treatment of dyslipidemia and related diseases. WO 200-***-****.
4. Semple, Graeme; Averbuj, Claudia; Skinner, Philip; Gharbaoui, Tawfik; Shin, Young-jun. 5-Substituted 2H-pyrazone-3-carboxylic acid derivatives as antilipolytic agents for the treatment of metabolic-related disorders such as dyslipidemia. WO 200-***-****
5. Eisen, Moris S.; Volkis, Victoria; Shmulinson, Michal; Averbuj, Claudia; and Tish, Edith (Technion Research and Development Foundation Ltd., Israel. Process for the production of stereoregular polymers and elastomers of -olefins and catalysts therefor. WO 9905186.
WORK STATUS: U.S. Citizen
LANGUAGES: Fluent in Spanish and Hebrew.