W. EARL CAPPS
Accomplished and innovative safety and human resources professional with a diverse record of accomplishments and experience:
• Proven track record in developing and implementing programs to address safety, productivity and cost control concerns.
• Successfully represented company and industry interests in litigation and legislative advocacy, including leading efforts to enact legislative reforms.
• Strong background in training, development, coaching and teaching in professional and academic environments.
• Respected by peers for showing leadership in the construction industry and workforce development.
Human Resources & Safety Manager - U.S. Group, Inc., Columbia, S.C. 2001-Present
Human resources, safety and compliance specialist for a road and sitework general contractor with annual company business volume of approximately $50 million. Responsible for maintaining workforce safety program, traffic control, accident investigations, site safety inspections, subcontractor safety issues, employee recruitment and hiring, substance abuse program, Workers’ Comp and general liability insurance claims, E-verify submittals, EEO & OJT compliance. Also responsible for the administration of the company’s community and media relations program, governmental relations, website and social media development and administration, graphic design for printed publications, event planning for internal, client and public events with up to 300 attendees, and write technical proposals and RFQ responses.
• Developed and implemented company-wide safety training and development program.
• Maintain Red Cross CPR and First Aid certifications for no less than 20% of total company workforce.
• Worked with subcontractors and contract haulers to address safety concerns and provide safety training.
• Led successful efforts to re-write the S.C. Underground Utilities Damage Prevention Act, representing construction industry stakeholders in legislative negotiations. Have provided testimony and helped lobby S.C. legislators to pass several other bills on issues of importance to the construction industry.
• Spearheaded the formation of the South Carolina affiliate of the Common Ground Alliance, a national stakeholder organization which promotes underground utility safety and damage prevention.
• Implemented workforce immigration compliance program to comply with state and federal laws.
• Represented employer in unemployment appeals and Workers Compensation hearings by former employees, with a 100% success rate in defeating unjustifiable claims.
• Developed and implemented candidate background screening process.
• Developed and implemented a cost-recovery program which increased company revenues by $30K/month.
• 10% reduction in fleet fuel costs and idle time by implementing review process of fleet GPS data.
• Served as interim superintendent and traffic control manager on several company projects.
Adjunct Professor (evenings) 2008-2012
College of Charleston, Charleston, S.C., & Trident Technical College, N. Charleston, S.C.
Teach and guest lecture evening college courses on a part-time, on-call basis. Courses included public speaking, communication ethics, public relations, basic communication theory and media and rhetorical criticism.
Marketing Manager - General Precast, Moncks Corner, S.C. 2001
Responsible for website maintenance, design and development of marketing materials and customer quotes, design and placement of advertising, and IT support for a concrete pre-cast products supplier. Also responsible for media contacts and did plan take-off for client projects.
Marketing Assistant - Thomas Dougherty & Associates, Mt. Pleasant, S.C. 1998-2001
Responsible for overseeing marketing efforts for a management recruiting firm, this included website maintenance, design and placement of advertising. Also screened candidates for placement with client firms, mostly in the manufacturing, engineering and procurement fields.
Master of Arts, Communication College of Charleston, Charleston, S.C. 2008
Bachelor of Arts, Communication College of Charleston, Charleston, S.C. 2004
• Published and presented research in the fields of organizational, safety and risk communication.
• Appointed to serve on the Graduate Senate and Graduate Honor Board.
• Inducted into Golden Key and Lambda Pi Eta Honor Societies.
• Won several research awards and scholarships.
SKILLS & SOFTWARE
• Certified Red Cross instructor, including First Aid, adult/infant CPR and blood-borne pathogens
• Train-the-Trainer OSHA safety certification
• Troxler Nuclear Gauge Safety & HAZMAT certifications
• Microsoft applications (Office, Project, Visio & Front Page), Quark Xpress, Macromedia Design Suite, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
• E-verify employment interface
• Employment and immigration law training
• HAZWOPER awareness training
• SCDOT and federal EEO and OJT compliance
• Vice-Chair, Common Ground Alliance, S.C. chapter
• Past member, Trident Workforce Investment Board
• Past Chair, Department of Communication Alumni Council, College of Charleston
• Past Chair, Lowcountry Utilities Coordinating Committee
• Society of Human Resource Management
• American Society of Safety Engineers
• Carolinas AGC
REFERENCES: Available upon request