MARTIN L. MATTOX
Delray Beach, FL 33444
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Dynamic and innovative Project Manager, Marketing Manager, and Business Leader with a passion for conceiving and launching game-changing products and strategies, and who understands the techniques and best practices required to successfully build brands, meet profitability targets, and drive sales strategies to achieve sustained revenue and growth goals
- Superior performer, with strong interpersonal and communications skills and a proven ability to build powerful teams, engage stakeholders, and formulate and execute plans to their desired results
- Exceptional analytical/critical thinker with a reputation for creative problem solving, often seeing opportunities others cannot
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Full Cycle Project Management
Successfully lead top-ranked, mission critical projects, contributing the highest percentage of revenue improvement to the bottom line. Responsible for the planning, management and completion of companywide projects according to defined strategic goals, deadlines, and budget parameters – identifying and assembling appropriate internal/external resources to achieve planned project deliverables. Identify and manage project requirements, scope, critical paths, dependencies, contingencies, and success criteria.
- Concurrently managed a highly complex credit and debit card conversion from Visa to MasterCard (45,000 cards) and a payment/ATM processor conversion
- Handpicked by Chief Lending Officer to lead team in the outsourcing of mortgage loan back-office competencies to a third-party partner; launched new mortgage loans products and customized mortgage loan management Website to membership
- Led development and launch of many eCommerce functions, including the fully-integrated online Virtual Branch, mobile and text banking functionalities, iPhone/Android apps, Remote Deposit Capture, and new Website with improved SEO functionality
- Developed and executed the project plan used to open 3 new De Novo retail banking centers and move 1 location
Marketing / Sales
Managed corporate marketing functions, overseeing a $1.5M budget and 8-member team. Directed brand management, media relations, corporate positioning, product launches, advertising, sales collateral, and tradeshow marketing. Formulated and reviewed strategic long-range marketing plans, goals and objectives, and carried out initiatives to achieve critical measures.
- Developed and launched integrated, multi-channel print, Web, in-store, and direct marketing campaigns that grew Credit Union assets 42% and membership by 28% over a 5-year period
-Led development and market launch of over 40 new products/services at the Credit Union. Identified opportunities, researched new product possibilities, collaborated with multiple departments and outside vendors, and created campaigns that exponentially generated annual revenue
- Formulated and implemented standard marketing plan for new retail banking center openings; opened 3 new locations during my tenure, with each exceeding assigned performance targets – and actually becoming profitable in less than one year, when the business cases showed a 3-year breakeven
-Wrote product/service overviews, training brochures and classes, and sales materials that enhanced the sales reps' understanding of complex product features and helped them sell more effectively
- Implemented the “Courtesy Call Program,” which structured the service and sales calls to our members over their first 90 days as members, and achieved 38% net increase in loans and 84% growth in new accounts in the first 12 months
- Created and implemented new company brand across all member touch points
- Directly supervised eCommerce functional area, including Web and Intranet sites, Online Banking/BillPay, and Mobile Banking
Market Intelligence / Market Research
Key member of Business Development team, identifying new opportunities and providing sales teams with market and competitive data to meet revenue targets. Provided industry and competitor analysis to Executive leadership.
- Directly supervised MCIF and automated marketing functions
- Directed ad-hoc research and analysis for sales teams and Executive leadership
- Performed ongoing customer/market research and demographic profiling to identify and capitalize on unmet market needs ahead of the curve
- Key developer of internal competitive intelligence platform that housed competitive data and provided a forum for the sharing of competitive intelligence
- Directed and performed member surveys and analysis, identifying key trends and at-risk members
Developed and managed internal and external communications programs, using superior project management and strategic/ interpersonal skills to communicate organizational activities to employees, consumers, media, and 80,000 members worldwide.
- Served as the primary point of contact for conveying organizational news to staff, members, and leadership
- Served as senior writer for marketing and corporate communications, with responsibility for high-profile projects, such as Web and Intranet sites, the annual report, newsletters, product and sales training, and executive-level presentations/speeches
- Provided communications counsel to internal clients, including CEO, executive management, and other leaders
- Planned and instituted an online, central repository of all corporate, marketing, and project communications for easy and quick access by all Credit Union staff; proved crucial in helping frontline staff find information quickly, thus improving the service experience for our membership
- Prepared and effectively delivered training, including verbal and written training, to all Credit Union staff on new products/services, marketing initiatives, and companywide projects
Product Development / Product Management
Acted as product manager for credit and debit card portfolios, checking accounts, and eCommerce products and services. Defined the product strategy and roadmap, worked with internal staff and external vendors, performed competitive analysis, developed the core positioning and messaging, developed/performed product training, set pricing to meet revenue and profitability goals, developed sales tools and collateral, and developed budgets and tracked monthly revenues to ensure success.
- Spearheaded the innovation, redesign, and product launch/lifecycle of new checking account product menu; contributed a 300% improvement in checking account sales; now ranked #1 in checking account penetration by Raddon Financial Group
- Dramatically repositioned and strengthened USE’s online presence/functionality, managing the development, launch, and lifecycle of core initiatives to achieve competitive differentiation and market share gain, including Mobile/Text Banking, iPhone/Android apps, Remote Deposit Capture, online debit rewards program, online account aggregation system, live Web chat, and redesigning/launching a new Website with improved SEO functionality
- Significantly added to USE’s bottom line by analyzing and repricing existing card portfolio and developing/launching numerous debit and credit card products/services to increase penetration and usage, including instant issue cards, customized image cards, gift and reloadable cards, rewards cards, and credit card preapproval campaigns
Internal Partnerships / Team Building
Identified and assembled appropriate internal and external resources in order to achieve planned project deliverables. Adept at bringing people together to strive for a common purpose.
- Recognized by Executive leadership for consistently building productive teams; handpicked to lead several core initiatives and cross-functional work/project teams, including:
o “Easy To Do Business With” Committee Task Force: Recommended and instated process improvements designed to make the Credit Union “easier to do business with,” such as simplifying USE’s online loan application process
o Non-Interest Income Committee: Recommended and initiated strategies to improve non-interest income generation, such as introducing our loan Skip-A-Pay program, gift cards, rewards cards, and auto/credit card preapprovals
o Multiple complex projects, such as a massive credit/debit card conversion, outsourcing mortgage loan processes, etc.
- Led several cross-functional teams; led without direct authority – managed through relationship building
- Consistently rated an employee of “high influence” on annual reviews
- Selected by peers to lead monthly “line-ups” for 5 different departments
Strategic Alliances / Vendor Management
Negotiated and launched new programs and products with third-party vendors to meet critical measures and strategic plans.
- At USE, I developed and managed several key, strategic partnerships, including Intuit Financial Services, MasterCard, Raddon Financial Group, Vantiv (formerly Fifth Third Processing Solutions), Andera, Affinion Group, Serverside, and Meta Payment Systems
- Led complex, high-risk contract negotiations from Request for Proposal (RFP) through contract execution and management
- Improved product performance by establishing monthly metrics and vendor monitoring programs to enforce service level agreements and other contract obligations
Leadership / Organizational Change Management
Skilled at managing relationships with diverse constituents, addressing enterprise-wide organizational change issues, and developing transformational solutions that lead to the successful adoption of large-scale programs. Proven track record of effectiveness within environments of complexity, ambiguity, stress, and change.
- Identified the organizational readiness to adopt change, and assess the potential impacts that those changes may have on both the organization and individual employees, including identification of inconsistencies and business problems related to people, structure, and processes. These efforts resulted in reduced resistance to change, leading to faster rate of adoption of initiatives.
- Perceptive of people and able to integrate and lead individuals/teams of diverse backgrounds, working toward a common goal
- Responsible for developing and executing internal communications, organizational change management, and training for stakeholders and key constituents to ensure successful implementation of several large-scale projects
July 2012 – Present
City National Bank, Miami, FL
"South Florida Business Journal’s" Community Bank of the Year; $4.3 Billion in Assets
Project Management Officer
Feb 2001 – Jan 2012
USE Credit Union, San Diego, CA
Ranked in the top 4% of credit unions nationwide in asset size; over 80,000 members
- Jan 2009 – Jan 2012: Assistant Vice President, Project Manager
- Feb 2005 – Dec 2008: Assistant Vice President, Marketing Manager
- Apr 2002 – Jan 2005: Marketing Project Manager
- Feb 2001 – Apr 2002: Senior Marketing/Communications Specialist
Dec 1995 – Sep 2000
The Alliance for Employee Growth & Development, Atlanta, GA
A non-profit organization funded by AT&T, Avaya, Alcatel-Lucent, The Communications Workers of America, and The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers to provide cross-functional training for their telecommunications Labor force
- Feb 1998 – Sep 2000: Senior Marketing/Communications and Quality Specialist
- Dec 1995 – Jan 1998: Marketing/Communications and Quality Specialist
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS / AWARDS
- Bachelor of Science, Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL (1992)
- Professional Certificate in Project Management, UCSD Extension, San Diego, CA (March 2012)
- Project Management Institute Member
- Western CUNA Management School Honors Graduate, Pomona College, Claremont, CA (2008)
- President’s Circle Award (Highest employee recognition), USE Credit Union, San Diego, CA (2007)
- CUNA Marketing & Business Development Council Diamond Award Winner (2002-2007)