Philip L. Koltun, Ph.D.
Crystal Lake, IL 60014 USA
815-***-**** (cell) e-mail: email@example.com
Summary: Expert in continuous business process improvement and operational excellence. Highly skilled in Six Sigma, lean, process mapping, metrics and measurement, change management, project management, supplier management, competitive benchmarking, and technology scouting.
• Led process re-engineering efforts for business processes as diverse as photo mask lithography, export licensing, order entry, and strategic business planning. Achieved on-time delivery, cycle time reductions, and cost savings. Engagements involved intensive interviewing, process mapping (Visio, etc.), and process re-design efforts at customer locations.
• Consulted with corporate clients on productivity, quality, cycle time, and training issues, meeting all objectives and resulting in return engagements.
• Evaluated engineering tools, established corporate-standard choices, and negotiated vendor licenses, achieving significant cost reductions.
• Led software process and productivity improvement efforts for corporation’s 2,000 engineers in a dozen sites. Defined and deployed software project management practices and third party management practices.
• Managed 8-person software tools and process consulting group, earning revenue and delivering value to customers.
• Led 18 SEI CMM/CMMi process maturity assessments, usually at off-site locations, including customer and supplier sites. Took part in ISO 9000 and Baldrige-style internal assessments.
• Defined comprehensive process for achieving free and open source software (FOSS) compliance on shipping products, enabling on-time product launches and product re-work. Developed online training on FOSS concepts and compliance practices.
• Identified and qualified key technology suppliers, including technology scouting, capability assessment, RFI/RFQ, SOW authorship, contract negotiations, supplier oversight, and supplier quality management (scorecards, quality visits, etc.). Managed off-shore supplier relationships. Achieved significant cost savings and delivered highest-quality product features.
• Performed consulting and training services for clients in Japan, Russia, Sweden, France, England, Malta, and South Africa.
• The Linux Foundation (2010-2011)
• NAVTEQ, Chicago, Illinois (2009-2010)
• Motorola Mobile Devices Business, Libertyville, Illinois (1997 - 2009)
• Harris Corporation, Melbourne, Florida (1983 – 1997)
Ph.D in Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
M.S. in Computer Science, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh
B.S. in Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Illinois, Urbana
Professional Training Taken
Six Sigma Green Belt (Motorola)
Core Competencies & Strategic Planning (Prahalad)
Effective Customer Visits (Ed McQuarrie)
Software Product Management (Craig Stull)
Competitive Benchmarking (APQC)
Deming Quality Conference (W.E. Deming)
Consulting for Results (Robert Schaffer)
Capability Maturity Model for Software (SEI)
People Capability Maturity Model (SEI)
Software Risk Management (SEI)
ISO 9000 Internal Auditor Training
Total Quality Management Principles
7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Covey)
Leadership Effectiveness Workshop
Managing Human Performance
Theory of Constraints (Eli Goldratt)
QFD for Software (Zultner)
Exploring Requirements: Quality Before Design (Gause)
Presenting Data and Information (Tufte)