S. Michelle Betts
Career Goal: Accounting Manager / Sr. Accountant / Financial Analyst
Dedicated, results-oriented accounting professional with more than ten years of increasingly responsible experience. Superior analytical skills practiced at drilling down to transaction/workflow details in support of process and profit improvement. Track record of effectively resolving challenging accounting assignments in deadline-driven environment. Strong research, analysis, and financial reporting skills. Computer skills include proficiency in Solomon, Concur ADP Expense, FRX Forecaster, MAS 90/200, SBT Pro, Seminar SAP, Peachtree and QuickBooks. Microsoft Software: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access.
Candidate for Certified Public Bookkeeper, State of Michigan, 2012
Candidate for Enrolled Agent, State of Michigan, 2012
WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY DETROIT, MICHIGAN
Master of Science in Accounting and Financial Management (in progress), degree expected 5/2015
STAYER UNIVERSITY WASHINGTON DC
Bachelor of Science in Accounting, 5/2006
• Volunteerism: American Heart Association (planning team) ... Accounting Aid Society (volunteer free tax service for low income citizens)
CITY OF DETROIT DETROIT, MI.
Senior Accountant, 3/2009 to 11/2011
Held a senior accountant position for a growing local government non-profit Michigan Work! agency . Supervise 3 accountants and oversee financial analysis, financial audits, G/L, A/R, A/P and fixed-asset accounting in accordance with GAAP standards. Develop and manage external financial relationships (e.g., banks, insurers, auditors) and constantly look for ways to strengthen overall financial performance.
• Built a finely tuned grant analysis report for Workforce Development Board of Directors, Head coordinator and liaison between American Heart Association and Workforce Development, fostering a collaborative environment that improved productivity as well as health, individual accountability and team morale.
• Revamped Grant management, financial systems, reports and schedules to improve forecast precision and standardize reporting procedures.
• Ensured projects and grant reports were compliant within the OMB circulars by monitoring all expenses, researched allowable and unallowable cost questions, record project management productivity and work on miscellaneous request.
• Worked closely with directors, management, team leaders, and cohorts to accomplish team goals, and played a key role in the due diligence effort that was crucial to successful prior year audits for the City of Detroit.
• Prepared and maintained account analysis, month end close, reconciliations; Analyzed assigned general ledger accounts and recommended adjustments when needed. Prepared journal entries, cash flow forecasting, contracts, invoices, and expenditure reports.
• Used Oracle/DRMS software, state and federal mandated financial websites (MARS) for grant budgets and expenditure reports. Used advanced Microsoft excel and flowcharts for in-depth analysis and reports.
• Exceptional ability to multitask and meet deadlines. Communicate effectively as well as interact effectively with public and subordinates with tact and diplomacy.
THE HERITAGE FOUNDATION CAPITOL HILL, DC
Staff Accountant, 8/2007 to 10/2008
• Accountant liaison between multiple departments such as Administration, Engineering, Domestic Policy Group, Marketing Development and Community Committees involving global travel event programming.
• Worked closely with the Assistant controller within the group of Accountants to accomplish team goals.
• Followed GAAP standards and accounting principles for recording transactions in General Ledger.
• Ensured projects were compliant within the sarbanes-oxley SOX act by following established guidelines.
• Used FRX Forecaster software for Grant Acquisition relating to budget items and financial statements.
• Facilitated Grant Acquisitions by gathering year-to-year budget information, in-depth salary analysis, specified events analysis and preparing the template for government grant contributions and donations.
• Managed Solomon software journal entries for cash receipts, stocks data, direct mail income recording, sale of stocks and annuities, recording on charge-backs, reclassifying general ledger and paying consultants.
• Utilized Concur ADP accounting software to track the expenses, expense reports and exported the information from to Solomon software, which produced vouchers for General Ledger recording.
• Reviewed accounts payable entries, reconcile balance sheet accounts, billing tenants for rental income, maintain legacy agreements, recorded credit reconciliations and recorded income in Solomon software.
• Coded checks received by Heritage, processed expense reports, billing, postage and courier expenses.
• Prepared reconciliations, journal entries and responses to Heritage employee financial statement questions.
• Imported information from Solomon software into a MS Excel worksheet categorizing General Ledger year to date and month to date information.
• Saved Heritage $5K in over-billing from tracking the expense report with the ADP Concur System.
• Created MS Excel spreadsheets to record monthly stock gains and losses for auditing schedule purposes.
Developed a Fixed Asset MS Excel spreadsheet to track all of the monthly capital equipment assets incurred through administration and depreciation or write offs break down for on-going corporate projects
AMERICAN FIRE EQUIPMENT (TRUCK MANUFACTURER) – WOODBRIDGE, VA
ACCOUNTING ANALYST, 3/2004 TO 8/2007 ACCOUNTING ANALYST 3/2004 –8/2007
• Worked closely with the team consisting of Senior Accountants, manufacturing and engineering staff.
• Utilized GAAP standard accounting principles on a daily basis.
• Balanced cash and posted sales invoices.
• Worked with accounts payable department to post invoices and streamline cash flow.
• Accurately entered transactions into proprietary company accounting system, prepared management reports and financial summaries using MS Excel detailing company financial status.
• Used MAS-90 software for AR, AP, and general ledger accounting.
• Resolved turnover issues on collection accounts as old as 6 months to two years.
• Collected receivables from $100,000 to $500,000 primarily from government municipalities through auditing invoices for errors, fixing problem invoices and resubmitting bills for payment.
• Researched and resolved billing and collections disputes.
American Counseling Association – Alexandria, VA.
Accounts Payable Processor - 4/ 2003 –3/2004
• Worked closely with the Accounting Manager in A/P duties and projects.
• Enter and processed all accounts payable.
• Handled all vendor inquiries.
• Acted as backup support for lockboxes.
• Assign and maintain purchase order system through SBT.
• Worked the Accounting Manager for the preparation and distribution of 1099’s.
H&R Block - Lorton, VA
Tax Professional / Office Manager (Seasonal) 11/2002 – 5/2006
• Attended mandatory weekly meetings, interviewing clients, preparing accurate tax returns.
• Reconciled and balance daily cash management reports to actual currency received as well as bank deposits daily.
• Worked extremely well with the Clients in a retail tax environment, which resulted in positive feedback through H&R Block.
Gonzalez Production Systems - Pontiac, MI
Accounts Payable Specialist - 3/1999- 10/2002
• Applied principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports using MS excel.
• Processed daily check runs, code invoices for payment, monitor expense budgets and maintain vendor files.
• Computed and recorded charges, refunds, cost of lost or damaged goods, freight and rentals.
• Responsible for journal entries, month end closing, reconcile bank statements, and travel and expense reimbursements.
• Used FoxPro software for purchase orders, invoices, and check runs.
*CHALLANGOE & JABRO, CPA FIRM (SEASONAL) 2008-2009
*TAX R US INCOME TAX AND BOOKKEEPING FIRM (SEASONAL) 2009-2012