email@example.com 727-***-**** http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnfdbecker
Inspiring leader motivates, collaborates, and facilitates formal efforts to turn around failing organizations, as well as to drive high performance businesses to the next level. Proven background in operations management, C-level policy development and board relations, as well as improving the efficiency and effectiveness of organizations all help to serve as a solid foundation for both getting and keeping businesses succeeding with high performance results.
Operations management and supervision
Budgeting and financial analysis
Lean and Six Sigma tools and techniques
Training and curriculum development
Benchmarking Matters, LLC - Dunedin, Florida
President and Lead Consultant (management consulting firm) 2009 – Present
* Served as founding board chairperson for the Florida Benchmarking Consortium from 2004 to 2009, and as its executive director from 2009 to 2010.
* Designed and developed the first-ever Dashboard of Ecosystem Indicators for the State of Washington’s efforts to “Make Puget Sound Healthy by 2020.”
* Facilitated initial strategic planning process for City of Tallahassee Underground Utilities Department and annual City of Lakeland strategic planning events with employee teams, senior leaders, city commissions and concerned citizens increasing participation in the process by over 250%.
* Developed 20 technology-focused process maps for City of Tallahassee’s Solid Waste and Underground Utilities departments including the designation of proposed process improvements in support of developing a Technology Roadmap for the Future, in conjunction with, and as a driver to the strategic planning process.
* Increased the deployment of digital customer and employee satisfaction surveys by 200%, including survey design and distribution protocol for the City of Tallahassee’s Underground Utilities Department.
* Increased natural work team participation by over 100% for City of Tallahassee in the development and establishment of process-driven performance measures, designing the executive dashboard, and building the balanced scorecard.
Challenges & Actions Taken: Worked with process teams to generate over $25 Million in combined savings and increased revenues for such businesses as utilities, solid waste, human services, and local governments. This management consulting firm was established to utilize leading performance management tools and techniques to drive similar improvements for client business leaders. Focused on helping leaders to define and possibly redefine their vision, mission and values to achieve ever changing business goals and realize long-term strategic plans without having to hire additional employees to perform these duties. One of the tools used is the systematic documentation and analysis of each key business process, along with collaboratively designing and transforming key performance measures into organization-wide performance management systems (strategic plans, process maps, advanced problem solving, executive dashboards, balanced scorecards, Sterling and Baldrige Award applications & more).
Pinellas County - Clearwater, Florida
Senior Financial Management and Budget Analyst (local government organization) 2006 - 2009
* Resolved long-standing, complex, high priority, political problems by facilitating improvements in performance, customer service training, upgrading technology, and negotiating service level changes with community businesses, professional and trade organizations, and organizational leaders.
* Developed and deployed comprehensive guidance manuals for improving citizen, supplier, and employee satisfaction surveying and performance measurement practices.
* Developed and improved performance management training curriculum and increased related class offerings by 400%.
* Maintained over 90% participant satisfaction ratings with performance management-focused classes and workshops offered.
* Collaboratively reduced spending of four departments during revenue short, budget cutting crisis (2007–2009) by over 30%.
* Increased Sharepoint website presence and associated collaborative leadership efforts for high priority initiatives by 400%.
* Increased inter-organizational, performance benchmarking-focused data sharing enterprise-wide by over 200%.
* Expanded Strategic Planning and Performance Management-focused internal and external website presence by 300%.
* Designed and delivered six performance-based training and leadership development courses offered through the Pinellas County Training Cooperative.
* Collaboratively facilitated special projects, including: Permitting Process Improvement Task Force; City of Largo Permitting Improvement Events; Technology Design Summit; Human Resources, Information Technology, and Office of Management and Budget strategic planning processes; and use of facilitators organization-wide.
Challenges & Actions Taken: Managed budget processes for four agencies (Building and Development Review, Communications, HR and Purchasing). Led the Vision Pinellas Strategic Planning Process as directed by the Board of County Commissioners which included coordinating six strategic focus area teams from across all stakeholder groups. In this regard, managed associated web sites internally and externally, and several Sharepoint web sites around topics, such as: strategic planning, permitting improvement, county clerk and technology justice software collaboration, and human resources strategic planning. Coordinated the annual data entry, cleansing and analysis processes for the city’s 13 industries of local government. This was accomplished collaboratively with the Center for Performance Measurement of the International City/ County Management Association and the Florida Benchmarking Consortium.
City of Jacksonville - Jacksonville, Florida
Quality Improvement Officer (local government organization) 1999 - 2006
* Expanded available program funding for Quality Services by over 50%.
* Grew the participation of departmental staff in high, strategic priority business process improvement efforts by more than 100% over two years in order to better deploy the city’s performance management efforts.
* Increased efficiency, effectiveness and financial performance improvement on the part of over 100 key business process teams citywide by over 150%.
* Realized a combination of savings and revenue enhancements of over $5M through formal performance benchmarking by select process teams.
* Won Governor’s Sterling Achievement Award in 2001 for the city’s efforts to deploy their strategic planning process using the innovative, standardized and automated performance evaluation system, city-wide called the Golden Thread model.
* Achieved the Governor’s Sterling Award for Organizational Performance Excellence for the city in 2002 (the largest local government in the world to ever have achieved such a state or national Malcolm Baldrige-based award).
* Increased inter-organizational, departmental performance benchmarking-focused data sharing enterprise-wide by over 800%.
* Developed and improved performance management training curriculum and increased related class offerings by 400%, maintaining 90%+ satisfaction ratings with events held.
* Expanded web presence for the city’s Quality Services program by over 300%.
Challenges & Actions Taken: Over four years, managed the Governor's Sterling Award winning effort for the City of Jacksonville in partnership with key community leaders. This city-wide, collaborative effort was Malcolm Baldrige Criteria-focused in an organization with over 8,000 employees. This involved coordinating the efforts of seven quality teams aligned to the categories of the Sterling and Malcolm Baldrige Criteria. Developed, trained and mentored over 100 key processes and associated teams. Managed the associated measurement systems in city-wide database and the use of Lean and Six Sigma tools and techniques to drive the annual Continuous Improvement (CI) Stories required each year. Organized and implemented ten Senior Leadership Retreats focusing on topical areas of quality improvement. Developed and managed quality training for city employees. Collaboratively managed 20, up to 12-month long, formal benchmarking projects and mentored the six project facilitators involved.
* Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois, Master of Arts in Public Affairs in Public Policy and Human Resources Administration, 3.80 GPA
* Loyola University, Chicago, Illinois, Bachelor's Degree with Double major - Psychology & Philosophy, 3.40 GPA
* Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM), from Toastmasters International, in 2005
* Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Candidate (Project completed 01/2012; final report pending)