Product Development Executive
Results-driven executive with 20+ years experience in marketing with over a decade of focus in Technology, Wireless (Wi-Fi, 3G), Internet and Telecom is seeking a leadership role in marketing; ready to bring to your company the ability to significantly increase growth, profitability, and shareholder value.
• Named Inventor and Licensor of the Ergonomic Computer Keyboards made popular by brands such as Microsoft, Logitech and Belkin
• Led EarthLink’s entry into broadband (DSL & Cable) from its inception and launching the first consumer DSL service in US with Sprint; Designed all aspects of the broadband product; negotiated partnerships with Verizon, Southwestern Bell and Bell South; now over $500M/yr with 1.7M+ customers
• Built Toshiba’s Wi-Fi network into the nation’s 4th largest; led the product development of the Wi-Fi service; negotiated major network deals with McDonald’s, UPS Stores, and Barnes & Noble
• Led Boingo Wireless’ software distribution strategy delivering 50% of customers and revenue by achieving an 80% market share; negotiated network partnerships signing the first wholesale Wi-Fi network deal in US. Led closing deals with Cisco/Linksys, D-Link and Proxim and white-label deals with Sony, HP and EarthLink
• Led United Online’s strategic marketing and launch of broadband services delivering $4M+ in TLV for the NetZero and Juno DSL brands
Areas of Expertise
• Branding & Campaign Mgt
• Business Development/ Partner Mgt
• Strategy & Planning
• Management of Personnel • Product Development
• Media Planning & Creative Development
• Metric Driven Analysis
• Online Direct Marketing Expertise
Project MarketPlace, Inc., Pasadena, CA 4/2007 to Present
Founder/CEO – Web 2.0 Business Relationship Network & Commerce Platform
• A Web 2.0 business relationship network & ecommerce platform empowering millions of small businesses in the US and around the world. It is designed for small businesses to gain entry to an ever expanding online small business community, drive sales, increase costs savings, generate and receive referrals, create business to business synergy and utilize a powerful set of design tools to create and manage their own online presence into the future.
• Built Project MarketPlace with the assistance with a “dream team” - highly skilled and talented individuals from his days at EarthLink.
• Angel funding of $2M sought in pre-Series A.
NetZero/Juno Internet, (United Online, Inc), Woodland Hills, CA 8/2006 – 4/2007
Marketing Consultant – Strategic Product Marketing for Broadband
• Reported to VP Marketing and Chief Marketing Officer. Led broadband marketing effort from design of marketing plan, conducting customer survey’s to execution of media plan. Successfully launched NetZero DSL in Verizon territory producing $4MM+ in customer TLV in just three months.
• Designed and led the marketing and creative plans for the commercial launch in BellSouth, AT&T and Qwest territories. Conducted all aspects of product marketing from creative strategy, Website management; media execution and tracking; customer surveys; usability studies; product requirements consulting; product roadmap strategy; and sales tactics. Regularly met with executives to deliver updates and conduct strategic planning sessions for all broadband initiatives.
Automaptics, Inc., Newport Beach, CA
Advisory Board Member (2006 – 2008) 2005 – 2008
Senior Vice President - Marketing (2005-06)
• Reports to CEO. Led the marketing and product management of the startup company’s In-Flight Entertainment (IFE) system, resulting in the delivery of the industry’s first advertising/sponsorship/ecommerce supported financial model. Primary research and usability studies used to develop the product requirements. Defined reporting requirements. Developed product roadmap and sales plan.
• Helped refine company’s business model paving the way for negotiations with a Fortune Global 500 avionics company.
Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., Irvine, CA 2003 –2005
Vice President –Product Development & Marketing
• Recruited by Toshiba. Reported to Senior VP.
• Developed product requirements and product roadmap, launching the industry’s first fully integrated wireless/wired Internet mobility subscription service by a PC manufacturer.
• Designed the key product features such as a systray application loaded into the Toshiba PC notebooks at factory, which pop-ups to welcome new/existing customers to the virtual network.
• Assembled product offering by developing key strategic partnerships with 5 companies to bring the service to market, including:
GRIC Communications, Inc., to enable the launch, led negotiating strategies for the first PC OEM private-labeled deal for Internet services in the U.S.
McDonald’s Corporation, to establish a pilot program, secured 124 restaurants in Chicago, beating out competitors including T-Mobile, Wayport, and Boingo. Won the largest of 3 nationwide deployments.
Intel, to help grow the Toshiba network (Wi-Fi), negotiated $500,000 in co-marketing funds for Toshiba’s Hotspot business.
Microsoft, to establish a Beta relationship, parleyed Toshiba’s role as one of Microsoft’s key Tier-1 Beta/launch partners in SP2 release of the new 802.11 (Hotspot) client software.
Qpass, Inc., to establish a billing partner.
Boingo Wireless, Inc., Santa Monica, CA 2001 - 2003
Vice President - Product Marketing &Business Development
• Recruited by Sky Dayton CEO and Chairman of EarthLink, Boingo and Helio (now part of Virgin Mobile). Reported to President and CEO. Founding member of executive team.
• Designed product development of Boingo software leading to key strategic partnerships for software marketing with Boingo’s icon on the desktop of Sony VAIO and Hewlett-Packard notebooks
• Planned software sales/distribution strategy delivering 50% of company’s customers and revenue for Boingo Wireless Established partnerships with Wi-Fi card manufactures: Cisco/Linksys, Belkin, NETGEAR, USR, SMC and Proxim, and building major partnerships with Sony, HP and EarthLink.
EarthLink, Inc., Pasadena, CA 1996 - 2001
Senior Director; Merger Integration & Customer Transition Marketing (1999 – 2001)
• Reported to EVP and CEO; Led team of over 70 consisting of numerous department heads and their direct reports
• Developed the project plan and operational strategy for the merger between EarthLink and Mindspring to form the nation’s second largest ISP, with 5 million customers and $1+ billion in revenues.
• Facilitated the development of product marketing and media planning, successfully transitioning 1.3M Mindspring customers to the EarthLink brand.
Director; Broadband Product Development and Brand Management (1997 – 1999)
• Reported to EVP. Responsible for entire product’s P&L. Led a team of ten. Influenced a team of hundreds.
• Led EarthLink’s broadband business from inception into the largest broadband network in the country in first two years, which has ultimately grown to over $500 million in annual revenues with 1.7+ million customers.
• Directed product management (product development, product marketing, product roadmap, Website management) and sales execution for all broadband services, delivering on rapid triple-digit growth.
• Planned and launched the first US consumer DSL service with Sprint.
• Negotiated strategic partnerships with Verizon and AT&T.
• Led EarthLink’s first cable broadband product marketing with Charter Communications, the nation’s fourth largest cable company
Senior Manager; Product Marketing & Product Development (1996 – 1997)
• Formed EarthLink’s first product management team
• Diversified its product lines in both Dialup and Web access delivering highly successful Website product StarterSite™, which delivers over $50MM in annual revenue.
• Developed the industry’s first online Website builder
• Planned EarthLink’s marketing of its Web site product line, increasing monthly sales over 400%.
Williams Television Time, Inc., Santa Monica, CA. 1993 – 1995
Senior Account Director – Media Planning and Buying
• Managed media planning and buying for $6 million Gillette account and directed media buying and planning for their direct-response television campaigns.
• Guided operations setup and tracking, including call center, fulfillment house and inventory management, which processed tens of thousands of product transactions.
City Advertising, Inc., Los Angeles, CA 1989 - 1993
• Boutique B2C and B2B ad agency specializing in all aspects of direct marketing and serving small-to-medium size businesses, with billings over $2MM.
ABC Radio, Inc., (formerly a Disney-owned company), Los Angeles, CA. 1986 - 1989
Direct Marketing Sales Consultant - Direct Sales Group
• Developed on-air commercial sales for this #1 talk format station in Los Angeles, achieving annual sales of over $1 million. Directed direct-response commercial content for clients.
• Guest Speaker, Electronic Economy Research Program,
University of Southern California, Marshall School of Business
• Panelist, National Semiconductor Wireless Symposium
• Panelist, JP Morgan Chase & Company, Broadband Forum
• Panelist, SCCTA, Cable Broadband Internet Series
University of California, Berkeley, CA
BA, Political Science & Business Administration
University of San Diego Law School, San Diego, CA
- Six Sigma Trained (Greenbelt); Toshiba Management Innovation Program
- Direct Marketing Strategies & Tactics Executive Program, Direct Marketing Association of So California
- Catholic Charities Award Winner – Chairman, Parish Pastoral Council of St Philip the Apostle, Pasadena, CA
Licensing and Patents:
- Co-founder/CEO of privately held intellectual property firm (Metamorfyx, LLC).
Created designs, patents and developed the licensing strategy that led to multi-million dollar long-term patent agreements with a confidential list major worldwide manufacturers including F500 and Deloitte TF500 Asia Pacific companies, retailers, and distributors of ergonomic computer keyboards.