BHAVIN PATEL, M.S. IT, ITIL, CSM
North Brunswick, NJ 08902
IT PROJECT MANAGER
Transforming Operations Fueling Revenue Growth Bridging Business, Finance & IT Gap
Pragmatic Problem Solving: Proven history blending common sense with a disciplined, systematic approach to identifying core issues and crafting both simple and innovative solution strategies.
Team Leadership: Adept at assembling, leading, and mentoring elite-level technical teams in a shared resources structure.
Cost Savings & Process Improvement: Track record of success automating and streamlining vital business processes to fuel organizational cost savings.
Project Management Impact to Operations
Delivered high-profile projects within expedited time frames while meeting all business deliverables, resulting in significant cost savings.
Overhauled existing system access process and curtailed the average processing time from 21 days to 3 days utilizing Lean Principles of process improvement.
Leveraged PMI project management methodology to optimize the use of project resources.
Strategic Planning ~ Project Lifecycle Management ~ Technology Integration ~ Mentoring
Team Building ~ Resource Management ~ Communications & Consensus Building ~ Controls & Compliance
Methodology/ Framework: PMI, SDLC, ITIL, CSM (Certified Scrum Master), and Lean process.
Technology: Software architecture - Web development, Database development.
Tools: Microsoft Project, Visio, Office; Together Control Center
IT PROJECT MANAGER, City of Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ (Apr’ 2010 - Present)
Lead matrix teams of up to 20 resources in all aspects of project management lifecycle. Prepare project plans complete with scope, milestones, deliverables, budgets, and shared resource requirements. Coordinate global, virtual teams, ensuring seamless communication and collaboration across multiple concurrent projects. Direct requirements gathering, analysis, and specification development for software solution implementations. Guide preparation of legal Project Definition Document (PDD) with Statement of Work (SOW) defining fees and services.
• Manage the utility bill printing and electronic bill presentment and payment project for the City leading to $500K+ of annual savings.
• Manage Enterprise systems for the City of Phoenix; the system serves as one of the major sources of revenue for the City; amounting to over $260 Million annually.
• Negotiated contracts to realize significant discounts and favorable terms and conditions.
• Developed and implemented standard operating procedures related to access management, support/escalation plans and comprehensive change management; reduced the implementation time for system changes by 50%, along with improving the system uptime to 99%.
• Constantly analyze and recommend process changes (business/ technical) to meet the changing needs by maximizing efficiency and reducing waste.
• Implemented ITIL Framework based service and support delivery models represented by disparate departments and division members.
• Manage a team of software developers and external consultants (representing both on-shore and off-shore models).
• Maintain sound planning to ensure adequate resource availability at all times in a high availability environment.
PROJECT/ APPLICATIONS LEAD, Coventry Health Care, Scottsdale, AZ (Sep’ 2006 – Apr’ 2010)
Lead implementation of high visibility enterprise solutions for the largest provider of the Workers Compensation insurance in the US. Defined project plans, schedules, and deliverables. Identified and managed project risks. Lead team, and stakeholder meetings and communications. Ensured fulfillment of service level agreement (SLA) standards and on-time project delivery.
• Lead the implementation of IBM Filenet P8 Document Management and Business Process Management systems realizing $250K+ of annual savings.
• Managed mid to large size projects concerned with my area of leadership. Co-ordinate tasks with various cross-functional teams in order to achieve successful implementation of processes/applications.
• Translated managers and staff business needs into functional and/or technical requirements to be used during the software development. Served as a liaison between clients and technology development teams to manage all phases of the development lifecycle. Managed scope, schedule, cost, and quality for multiple projects simultaneously to ensure strategic initiatives were delivered.
• Developed and implemented detailed project plans for the deployment of maintenance and updates to existing infrastructure. Developed risk analyses and mitigation plans, and reported on recommended strategies to avoid disruption of regular operations. Proactively communicated with management and project teams regarding progress, risks, and issues.
• Implemented Waterfall, Iterative and Agile Methodology based software development process, where pertinent; served as a Scrum Master.
• Performed detailed Root Cause Analysis (RCA) pertaining to system issues, along with implementing preventive measures, where applicable.
SENIOR SOLUTIONS ARCHITECT [Consultant] (Jul’ 2005 – Aug' 2006)
UBS, Stamford, CT
Provided client with technical expertise and project leadership in the design and development of customized applications used for Fixed Income Products.
• Architected and managed solution delivery of applications developed using Java/ J2EE and database technologies.
• Facilitated business-needs meetings with business managers and staff, and assisted with ranking, prioritization, and selection of enhancements to be developed and deployed to create the most value. Provided overall support on all functional and/or technical questions and assisted business partners develop functional requirements.
• Authored architecture documents depicting the workflow and/or interactions between the various components of the application. Implemented scalable architecture. Implemented scalable database design envisioning future growth and capacity.
• Author technical design documents pertaining to applications/processes. Perform detailed Root Cause Analysis (RCA) pertaining to system issues and implement preventive measures.
Standard and Poor’s, New York, NY
Responsible for devising solutions for the Credit Research Analysts, related to creation and maintenance of Credit Ratings. Phase-I of the project involved comparing the quality of the existing data feed with the new data feed and then creating a web-based solution, as part of the Phase-II of the project.
• Performed project assessments and assisted customers in determining resources, both financial and human, required to achieve their IT based initiatives.
• Monitored project execution and provided management with timely earned value reports as well as recommendations to address any variances in schedule and/or cost.
• Closely monitored scope changes brought forth by stakeholders and provided clients with an evaluation of their impact on the schedule, cost, and quality, as well as any inherent risks.
• Serve as a key solutions’ architect; maintained participation in all aspects of SDLC.
ATTEND GRADUATE SCHOOL, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY (Jan’ 2004 – May 2005)
Served as a teaching assistant/ grader to assist undergraduate students with their course work.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER, Prism Soft Pvt. Ltd, Mumbai, India. (Dec’ 2001 – Dec’ 2003)
Collaborated in the identification of business requirements and programming specifications. Designed and developed E-Commerce applications and relevant processes, participated in unit testing as well as user acceptance testing.
Master of Science in Information Technology, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY.
Bachelor of Engineering, University of Mumbai, Mumbai, India.
Certified Scrum Master (CSM)
ITIL v3 Foundation
PMP (In process)