ARTHUR VANNI, CPA
Freehold, New Jersey 07728
Seasoned executive with over 29 years experience in financial accounting and reporting, internal auditing and operations. Adapts fast to new environment, welcomes challenges and works well with senior management. Foremost personality traits include excellent communication, technical, and analytical skills. A well organized team player who can be “hands-on” and achieve results.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Financial Accounting • Employee Benefit Plans-ERISA • SEC 10Q and 10K
• Financial Reporting • Tax Preparation • Policy & Procedure Development
• Internal Auditing • GAAP, GAAS, FASB • Information Risk Management
• Internal Controls • Project Management • ISO 17799 Compliance
• Software Implementation • Operations • Staff Supervision & Guidance
• Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance • COSO, SOX 404 • Process Documentation
I.D. Systems, Inc. Hackensack, NJ (October 2008-Present)
Controller for a public company which manufactures and sells wireless asset tracking devices to large companies with distribution centers. Responsible for managing the accounting staff of 3 persons and the Company’s day-to- day accounting operations. This includes review and approval of all customer orders, accounts payable payments, customer sales orders and billing/invoicing, employee expense reporting and other daily tasks. In addition, responsible for the monthly Company financial statement close including the preparation of monthly work paper binders. Prepare the Company’s SEC 10Q and 10K filings including financial statements with full disclosures as well as management’s discussion and analysis. Responsible for addressing the following accounting issues for the Company: SFAS 109 Tax provision work papers, SFAS 123R Stock-based Compensation calculations and reporting, SFAS157 Fair Value accounting and disclosures for Company investments, SFAS 141 Intangible Asset impairments, unbilled accounts receivable analysis for long term milestone type contracts. Coordinate with the Company’s independent auditors for the annual audit and quarterly reviews. Also responsible for preparing management’s assessment on internal control over financial reporting in compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404. Includes maintaining all required SOX documentation and performing tests of operating effectiveness. Established a foreign subsidiary entity in Germany for expanding European operations including setting up accounting and reporting, related multi-currency foreign exchange, and accounting and consolidation process.
Arthur Vanni, CPA
For Arthur Vanni, CPA , LLC Freehold, NJ (May 2007-October 2008)
Owner and sole member of an accounting and consulting firm offering management advisory services. Specialize in assisting management of public companies with compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404.
Other niche services include: internal audit outsource engagements, forensic accounting, information security risk management policy development, CFO outsourcing and other compliance type services.
Industries serviced include: financial services, broker-dealer, discount broker, biotech, manufacturing, wholesale electronics components, REIT and insurance.
Arthur Vanni, CPA
For Risk Services Group ,LLC New York, NY (March 2005 – May 2007)
Contracted as an independent consultant working on various Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 compliance engagements at public companies. Tasks include interviewing key company executives to document COSO corporate governance controls, drafting narratives and flow charts of financial processes, determining key controls, completing risk and control matrices, performing gap analysis and assisting clients in implementing remediation plans. Developed test scripts for COSO and key controls. Successfully performed key control testing enabling client management to form the assertion regarding design efficiency and operational effectiveness on their internal control structure. Clients have successfully reached SOX 404 compliance and their independent CPA’s have rendered unqualified reports on their internal control.
Arthur Vanni, CPA
For ING, New York, NY (July 2004 – March 2005)
Sarbanes –Oxley Compliance (November 2004- March 2005)
Lead consultant on the ING SOX Team for IT General Controls and IT Application Controls. Assisted in the completion of the base entity internal control (COSO) questionnaire and documentation. Met with application and other IT managers to document manual and automated processes to determine risks and key controls. Gathered appropriate evidence in support of key controls. Tested design of key controls to determine adequacy of risk mitigation.
Business Continuity Planning (June 2004 – November 2004)
Assisted business units and support functions in drafting Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (BCP/DR) Plans. Designed Plan templates, met with unit leaders, performing impact analysis and extracting required detailed procedures with in depth granularity to provide adequate continuity. Mapped BCP/DR Plans to NASD, NYSE and SEC BCP/DR regulations. Conducted BCP/DR tests at offsite facility. Reviewed corporate guidance and determined compliance with policies.
ING, New York, NY (September 1999 – February 2004)
Vice President /Head of Operations, Information Risk Management (IRM)
Performs duties as Head of Operations for the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO). This position reports directly to the CISO of ING Executive Center Europe and ING Executive Center Americas of ING Group, a multinational global financial services organization with over $500 billion in assets. Responsibilities included:
• Assisted the CISO with planning, organizing and controlling the IRM function including strategic and tactical plans and development of missions, objectives and roadmaps.
• Managed and coordinated the effort of drafting 34 ING Group information security policies and standards approved by the ING Executive Board based on an ISO17799 foundation.
• Developed, designed, and globally implemented a web-based on-line security compliance application which measures and reports compliance scores with company information security policies.
• Supervised application support team providing maintenance and support for the web-based application.
• Reported information security policy compliance.
• Prepared a monthly IRM Status Report distributed to senior and executive management.
• Performed financial analysis of actual Vs budget of each Region’s costs. Calculated variances and determined reasons behind them. Prepared annual budget and medium term plan.
• Interacted with senior and executive management as well as outside vendors in meetings representing the CISO on financial and IRM related matters.
• Tracked progress and followed-up open internal audit points. Prepared audit point status reports for the De Nederlancsche Bank (DNB).
• Supported project managers in preparation of discretionary project briefs with specific emphasis on project cost benefit analysis including cash flow forecasts, profit and loss impact and allocations to business products.
• Oversaw all accounting and finance related matters concerning the ECE Europe IRM function.
United Federation of Teachers Welfare Fund, New York, NY (November 1993 – August 1999)
Assisted the Comptroller by managing the day to day operations of an Accounting Dept. of 20 professional and clerical staff for a large union administered employee benefit plan with over $166 million in revenue and $154 million in benefit expenses providing benefits to over 140,000 members. Responsibilities included:
• Reviewed and approved accounts payable, payroll, fixed asset, benefit payments, journal entries, bank reconciliations, investments, banking and other daily functions.
• Established, supervised and provided guidance to the Internal Audit Dept.
• Liaised with independent CPA’s for year-end audit and financial statement preparation.
• Reviewed and approved all year end adjusting journal entries.
• Performed allocation of Information System Dept expenses/costs and billed to related users.
• Reviewed and approved payroll tax returns for 6 states.
• Monitored compliance with collective bargaining agreements for unionized staff.
• Directed the computerization of the general ledger, accounts payable and fixed asset functions (MAS90).
• Trained employees and provided career guidance
• Approved vacation and sick leave requests.
• Implemented lacking internal controls and systems of review.
• Prepared /reviewed Form 5500 Dept. of Labor and Form 990 (IRS) filings.
• Monitored Compliance with NYC Comptroller’s Office Directive #12.
• Interacted with the Fund Director on relevant issues.
• Coordinated the implementation of new accounting system and managed conversion process (Lawson).
• Maintained relationships with bankers, investment managers and third part administrators (TPA).
DC-37 Health & Security Plan, New York, NY (November 1983 – November 1993)
Chief, Internal Audits
Established and directed the Internal Audit Dept. for New York City’s largest municipal union administered benefit plan.
• Directed and conducted financial and operational internal audits of various departments, benefits, functions, TPAs and aspects within the organization with a staff of 6.
• Issued formal comprehensive written internal audit reports.
• Reported directly to the Controller and Plan Administrator.
• Liaised with various independent auditors, assist in gathering audit documentation and answering auditor inquiries for annual audit.
• Made recommendations and assisted in the implementation of internal control systems.
• Supported the Controller on special tasks, projects and assignments.
• Trained staff on audit techniques, statistical sampling and use of personal computers.
NY City Comptroller’s Office, Bureau of Financial Audit, New York, NY (October 1982 – November 1983)
Field Audit Supervisor (October 1982 to November 1983)
• Supervised the performance of operational and financial audits of union administered benefit funds. Assist Department Chief in planning and direction of unit work.
• Prepared detailed audit plans to provide guidance for field staff and to ensure unit objectives.
• Supervised, trained and evaluated the performance of staff of eight field auditors with indirect responsibility for an additional audit group of equal size. Primarily responsible for writing and editing comprehensive reports and making field visits to review in progress audits.
Auditor in Charge (April 1982 to October 1982)
• Conducted independent financial audits of union administered benefit funds and other New York City agencies.
• Audit program and budget preparation, internal control reviews, conducted entrance and exit conferences and drafted audit reports.
• Administered the audit process, reviewed audit work papers and supervised 7 staff auditors.
Staff Auditor (April 1981 to April 1982)
• Carried out assigned audit program procedures.
• Gathered and reviewed background audit material, prepared workpapers, conducted interviews and prepared memos.
• Documented findings and conclusions and provided input and information for audit reports.
Health and Hospitals Corporation, New York, New York (February 1980 – April 1981)
• Worked in the Fixed Asset and Accounts Payable Divisions of the Corporation’s Fiscal Accounting Department.
• Performed internal audits of fixed asset additions, deletions, inter-hospital transfers and donations. Made fund accounting and adjusting journal entries.
• Performed various compliance tests to corporate standard operating procedures of accounts payable entries.
• Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
• Member of the New Jersey State Society of CPA’s
• Member of the Financial Executives Networking Group (FENG)
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access, Lawson Financial Accounting System, MAS 90 Accounting Software, Microsoft Visio Flow Charting Software, Creative Solutions Ultra Tax, RIA Tax Research, QuickBooks, Option Tracker and Concur Expense Reporting.
College of Staten Island, B.S. in Economics (specialization in Accounting) awarded with honors,
G.P.A. in Accounting - 4.0, Overall GPA 3.58
• Deans List 1977 - 1981
• Recipient of the Professor Charles Pinzolo Award in Accounting, June 1979
Certified Public Accountant (NY License # 49893, October 1984) (NJ License #20CC03292700, Feb 2007)
• References available and furnished upon request.