Carl A. Miller C.E.C.
*****, ********* ******, ******* ********, Michigan, USA - 48035
A dynamic individual with expertise in food preparation, kitchen management and training delivery I hold a pivotal role in the success of the companies that I form a part of. As an accomplished professional my career to date represents a rare global perspective.
• International exposure lends me a global perspective
• Strong focus on global trends and culinary innovations
• Passionate mentoring, training and development of aspiring chefs
Area of Expertise
• Multi-Outlet / High-Volume Operations
• Staff Training / Leadership / Supervision
• Creative Menu Development & Research
• Costing and Price Structuring
• Budgeting / P&L Management
• Inventory / Purchasing
• Sanitation (Servsafe / HACCP)
• Increase Productivity, Efficiency and Quality Control
• Guest Relations
June 2009 to
Present Dorsey Culinary Academy Michigan USA
• Instructing theory and hands-on demonstrating of practical kitchen skills and techniques, baking, pastries, charcuterie, banqueting, a la carte, hors d’ oeuvres, buffet action stations, United States regional and International cuisines, nutrition, HACCP standards (Servsafe) and principles in an ACF accredited program
• Classroom lecturing principles of culinary math, menu planning, styles of service, costing, controlling costs, nutrition, restaurant business, assign restaurant project which included production of menu items in kitchen, instructed Servsafe Program and proctored exam, as well as hospitality courses.
Jan 2008 –
July 2008 Sandals Grande Antigua Resort and Spa
• 5 Star, 373 room all-inclusive resort and conference convention center, 9 up-scale restaurant (Italian, Seafood, Caribbean, International, Japanese, Sushi, English Pub, Tex-Mex, Lite-fare/Snacks), 24 hour In-Room-Dining, Butler service and catering to 325 pax, est. food sales of $16,000,000.00. Managing a staff of 110 cooks and 55 Stewards.
• Maintaining budgeted figures and guest comment scores through the 6 month renovation project of all kitchens, improved staff interaction with guests and plate presentation technique through the use of more indigenous and traditional foods and development of menus, recipe writing and costing
Oct 2007 –
Jan 2008 Le Cordon Bleu of Miami Miami, Florida
• Teaching theory, demonstrating culinary methods, administering quizzes and exams along with grading of practical skills that should be developed within the time frame of class term. Also basic understanding and practices of sanitation and hygiene in the professional kitchen with enrolment of 30 students.
April 2007 –
July 2007 Sheraton Miami Mart Miami, Florida
• A 3 Star, 340 room hotel and conference convention center, up-scale restaurant serving continental cuisine with Latin flare, catering to 2000 pax, food revenue of $3.5 million and over 100,000 sq ft exhibition space. Implemented Starwood food standards and procedures, sanitation training, up-grading cooking skills and modern presentation of food, maintained operational costs through creative purchasing, scheduling and payroll
Nov 2004 –
Dec 2006 Starwood Luxury Collection Sheraton Addis
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
• 5 Star Luxury Collection property of 293 rooms, 9 food outlets, catering on property for 6000 paxs and off site of 3500 paxs, staffing of 150 chefs and 60 stewards, food and beverage revenue over $20 million, contract catering for United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) with 3 food outlets and catering to 800 delegates
• Introduced US Black Angus beef, increased average check and guests count, featured more local foods and varying cuisines into the menus including the development of Ethiopian Fusion dishes, catering menus with action stations, reducing food cost, increase outside catering by 35% and guest check average.
• Worked closely with catering clientele in developing menus and speciality foods for required functions, co-ordinated dinners and catering events for Bob Marley Birthday Celebration, African Union Summits, Prime Minister, Presidential, Heads of State
• Trained staff on HACCP standards, developed food standards along with par stocks for the purchasing department, established overseas purchases of meats and seafood through local suppliers and trained receiving clerks on food inspections and minimum standards
April 2004 –
OCT 2004 Kabul Serena Hotel Kabul, Afghanistan
Executive Chef – Pre-Opening
• 5 Star property of 175 rooms, 3 outlets (continental, Thai and 24 hour In-room dining), catering to 350 paxs, overseen culinary department at sister hotel in Pakistan, established contacts and specifications with international and local suppliers of foods, trained local butchers on cutting meats to hotel specifications.
• Instructor in Back and Front of the house classes at German Embassy Training Center, developed Kitchen Training Manuals and SOPs
March 2002 –
April 2004 Le Meridien Hotels and Resorts Malawi, Africa
Regional Executive Chef
• Overseen 8 hotels food and beverage operation, 24 outlets and catering for over 550 pax, opened upscale African restaurant, coordinated international and local group purchasing, annual revenue of $9.5 million
• Development of menus, recipes, costing and implementation for restaurants and catering, established international standards of training for front and back of the house, implementation of HACCP and kitchen management skills for all Executive and Sous chefs.
Certified Executive Chef American Culinary Federation
ServSafe (HACCP) Manager, Instructor and Proctor Certificate (NRAEF)
Controlling Foodservice Cost Instructor Certificate Manage First (NRAEF)
Bloodborne Pathogens – OSHA Completion Certificate
Food Service Management ACF – Chef Certification
Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, New York, A. A. – Culinary Arts
Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online, B. S. - Hotel Restaurant Management (In Progress)
References Available upon Request
Hobbies/Interest Golf, scuba diving, touring local markets, gaining knowledge of
the history and cultural environment where I am working.