TONY D. GUPTON, MBA, SPHR
*** *. ***** **. • Reston, Virginia
DIRECTOR LEVEL LEADERSHIP
Human Resource Management ~ Operations Management
Dynamic human resources leader and operations management professional with a history of success in spearheading the development and implementation of comprehensive human capital solutions to drive performance in a corporate Shared Services organization. Combines solid business acumen with proven experience leading various HR and Operations functions within a variety of industries and government customers specializing in manufacturing, facility management, aerospace and weapons maintenance, IT solutions, assembly and warehouse supply. Strategic business partner; skilled at advising senior business leaders on complex organizational and transformational leadership issues and the business strategy necessary for ensuring adherence to relevant labor and employment law. Responsible for domestic and international compliance with legal framework, SOX requirements, EEOC etc. Visionary leader; expert at aligning human resources strategies with corporate objectives to achieve superior results. Areas of expertise include:
Human Resource Strategy • Employee Relations • Staffing & Planning • Ethics & Compliance • Training and Development
HR Policy Development & Implementation • Workplace Investigations • Employment Law Compliance • Change Management
EEOC Investigations • Benefit Program Design & Administration • Business & Professional Development
KEY PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS
• Built multiple human resource departments from scratch for start-up companies and Federal Department of Defense and EPA contractor of manufacturing, R & D, warehousing, logistics and facility operations; Manufacturing and Training services; developed all policies and procedures in addition to recruiting, staffing plans, benefits, risk management, payroll, workers compensation and other required insurance programs for over 1000 employees in 4 countries and 36 states.
• Established and led training (New Manager, New Hire Orientation, Corporate Communications, etc.) to educate staff about compliance and administration within the corporate expectations and for employee skill development
• Leveraged comprehensive benefits programs to attract, motivate and retain top talent; oversaw all market analysis and reporting as required by ERISA, Form 5500 and Safe Harbor Testing, among other guidelines.
• Championed workforce development by spearheading multiple training and education programs to all employees on various topics from Ethics, Harassment, Safety, Workplace Violence, Compliance, Performance Management, Succession Planning, Leadership Development and Compensation; facilitated sessions through classroom and web-based training.
• Maintained and analyzed labor markets, compensation plans and succession planning for union and non-union sites and for skilled, general labor and professional positions.
• Developed and implemented confidential employee survey, Ethics Hotline, and represented company as Ethics officer conducting investigations and conveying findings and areas to address with education, training, or discipline.
PROFESSIONAL WORK HISTORY
Fayetteville, NC • September 2011 – Present (Government Contract ends September 2012)
Regional Human Resources Manager
Manage all aspects of day to day Human Resources function for Department of Defense contract field support by providing HR support, management and administration of policy and procedure within Department of Labor (Service Contract Act, FLSA, etc.) requirements. Responsible for maintaining records and implementing training and compliance guidelines for over 900 employees across the Southeast at three different manufacturing and maintenance plant facilities. Develop comprehensive local operating
policies and procedures relating to performance evaluations, training, recruiting, FLSA compliance, and local employment law compliance and reporting.
• Conducted on site Ethics Training per the corporate compliance requirements
• Ensured proper documentation and accurate employee records and files relating to employment and discipline matters of record
• Facilitated and implemented standards to ensure that hiring, promotion, and demotions are objective and without bias
• Lead investigator and gate keeper of disciplinary actions per policies and procedures and adherence to compensation, labor category identification to ensure equity in the workplace. Provider of source of employee concerns, complaints and issues involving employee relations matters.
• Supported the Senior Management team in the operational conversion of the strategic goals for all local and global employees.
• Initiated and completed orientation and education programs to build/establish strong relationship with the workforce and client group by extending the HR accessibility to proactively address their needs, requirements and challenges for all field employees and all communications of such changes to affected departments.
AMERICAN MANAGEMENT GROUP /CAPE FOX CORPORATION
Greenville, North Carolina & Washington, D.C. • March 2005 – September 2011
Director of Human Resources & Government Affairs
Hands on manager of all aspects of Human Resources function for shared enterprise services company providing HR and Government Affairs functions and services for commonly owned Operational Companies from start up to acquisition phase. Responsible for HR functions combined 1000 employees in 36 states and 4 countries. Develop comprehensive DOL compliance manuals addressing AAP, ADEA, Diversity, Service Contract Act and Davis Bacon Act, EEO, Immigration, FLSA, FMLA and COBRA in addition to HRIS development and implementation. Formulate succession plans for all positions, incorporating compensation tables and professional development Plans. Point of contact and representative of company with elected officials and government agencies when working with Economic Development, corporate citizenship, public events, and provider of data and communications to Congressional sub-committees.
• Reduced exposure to charges and lawsuits by leading ER investigations on all complaints and workplace issues relating to harassment, hostile work environment, safety and whistleblower protection.
• Leveraged demonstrated expertise in providing advice and counsel to all levels of management.Fostered positive work environment, improving employee morale and satisfaction levels via outsourcing services Elevated presence and awareness of company during fundraising and public events in support of key elected officials overseeing company business locations in North Carolina and within General Assembly and Congress.
JOHNSTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Smithfield, North Carolina • 1999 – 2005
Directed staffing and recruitment process for 190 bed hospital with over 1,000 employees. Ensured confidentiality within employee records management process while enforcing and a managing all aspects of HR generalist and staffing functions. Established competitive compensation packages for new and transferring employees.
• Responsible for New Hire processing and New Employee Orientation program. Ensured all required in processing was timely and accurate.
• Leveraged expertise in management of complex employee relations issues, conducting investigations into various disputes, unemployment claims, and harassment complaints; represented employer at various hearings and EEOC mediations.
• Managed various compensation programs, conducting salary surveys and cost analysis for recommendations to salary structure; ensured market competitiveness in addition to maintaining internal salary equity.
Additional accomplishments took place in the following role:
Field Auditor with the North Carolina Department of Revenue (1993-1999) Examined taxpayer accounting records and tax reports for seven county district of the State Department of Taxation. Advised on findings relative to state rules, regulations and legislative changes.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
Master of Human Resources Management
North Carolina State University – Raleigh, North Carolina
Bachelor of Arts – Economics & Bachelor of Arts – Business Management
Minor in Accounting – CPA Eligible
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina
Various affiliations include Past President of Coastal NC District (SHRM), NC State SHRM Council, Board of Directors – Neuse Charter School, East Carolina University Board – College of Computer Science and Information Technology, and Vice-President of Smithfield-Selma Rotary Club. Details on reques