Joseph L. Romero
Hoffman Estates, IL
Bachelor Degreed Professional with strengths in interpersonal skills and human resources-related skills that have been applied to management positions and college classwork. Will be pursuing an MBA program with a concentration in Human Resources. Interested in a role that will broaden my current skill set in human resources.
• Attained Honor Society status while attending college and working.
• Supervised up to 30 employees.
• Human Resource experience - screening, interviewing and selecting new hires; training; employee relations.
• Proposed and created the first student internship program for the college resident services at UIC.
• Built a stronger relationship between a vendor company and university services by initiating a fully student staffed work force team to provide special catering events.
Training Report Writing
POST RECEIPT OF DEGREE
CLEARBROOK – An employment services organization, 900 employees, Palatine, Illinois
Community Support Coach 12/2011 – 4/2012
Supervised employment services for special needs adults in the organization
• Successfully served as the rotational supervisor with responsibility for 8 sites.
• Effectively delegated tasks; oversaw 4-5 individuals, 21-60 years of age, resulting in job completeness.
• Completed Monthly Progress Summary Reports.
• Followed detailed plans of action for each member on the team ensuring employment service compliance.
SODEXO – A contractor for Norwegian American Hospital, 200-bed facility, Humboldt Park, IL
Patient Services Manager 6/2011 – 11/2011
Managed a staff of 23 individuals to address dietary services for 200 patients
• Scheduled 23 employees on a cross-functional team and supervised their activity.
• Selected new hires, oversaw orientation training, coordinated weekly meetings addressing employee concerns.
• Ensured customer service satisfaction, accurate order fills, and delivery of service by the 23-member team
• Maintained a safe work environment, directed daily training hospital and food safety meetings, thereby assuring compliance with OSHA and JCAHO standards.
DURING UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE STUDIES
SODEXO – A contractor for University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL
Student Manager 8/2010 – 5/2011
Part-time management of a campus-wide team providing food service for catering events
• Managed 30 student employees who fulfilled food service work in campus dining, catering, and retail.
• Implemented the Food Safety Training Program and delivered training to all student employees assuring a safe food / work environment.
• Developed pre-screening criteria for entry level food service student workers resulting in qualified applicants.
• Directed new hire orientation for multiple departments and maintained monthly employee assessments.
Management Intern 1/2010 – 5/2010
Part-time resident dining service management while attending college
• Proposed and created the first student Internship Program for Food Service Management at UIC.
• Involved in a management-training program that focused on department structure, scheduling, supervision, budgeting, and union contract interpretation.
DURING UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE STUDIES
VILLAGE OF PALATINE – Municipality serving over 65,000 residents, Palatine, IL
Public Works Department Floater Summers 2008 - 2011
Assisting in duties that maintained village infrastructure and properties
• Teamed with 8 fellow employees to cut down trees and do landscaping.
• Obtained a working knowledge of forestry equipment and was trained in OSHA safety standards.
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Cum Laude
Overall Grade Point Average 3.6/ 4.0
Major Grade Point Average 3.8/ 4.0
Sociology Concentration Grade Point Average 4.0/ 4.0
National Society of Collegiate Scholars, UIC
International Honor Society in Psychology, UIC
Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
Microsoft Office 2003, 2007 & 2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Windows XP (2003), 2007, 2010