JAMES D. PLOGER
Please see contact info for email and phone #
While I was a student, I found that I loved the nursing role, developing relationships with patients and having a beneficial effect. In my prior career as a Research Scientist at the University of Washington I obtained deep understanding of the heart when I worked in the cardiac lab, becoming skilled at surgical procedures and surgical assisting, as well as gaining familiarity with an array of medical instrumentation. Harvard (BA) honed my critical thinking skills necessary as a scientist and for my nursing training. In Occupational Health I coordinated and conducted experiments involving over 50 volunteers. I thoroughly enjoyed the ‘customer service’ aspect of working with volunteers. I decided to change to a nursing career to increase my personal contact with clientele, to witness the positive results from the application of my knowledge and skills, and to more often utilize my skills as a team player and leader.
* Successfully completed nursing school at North and South Community Colleges, 2009-2011
* Experienced teaching and supervising students and postdoctoral fellows in experimental techniques
* Excellent, motivated student with drive for continuing self-education
* Registered Nurse license, WA license # RN60257320
* Basic Life Support: Healthcare Provider CPR & AED (AHA), current
* American Red Cross First Aid, current
North Seattle Community College, Seattle, WA:
* LPN to RN Ladder Program, completed December 2011. GPA 3.9/4.0
* Licensed Practical Nursing Program, completed April 2011. GPA 3.8/4.0
South Seattle Community College, Seattle, WA:
* LPN Program. Changed to North Seattle CC after 1st quarter. GPA 3.9/4.0
Nursing Assistant Training Institute, Shoreline, WA
* Clinicals at Columbia Lutheran Home. NC 60079280 (not currently renewed)
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
* B.A. Physics, Cum laude. Biology emphasis.
SIGNIFICANT NURSING PROGRAM EXPERIENCE:
Acute Care: Swedish Medical Center, Cherry Hill Campus, Seattle, WA: Medical/Surgical Unit
* Cared for up to three cardiac telemetry patients simultaneously on Cardiac Telemetry Unit.
* Provided care for stroke and patients post spinal surgery on Neural Sciences Unit.
* Administration of IV medications via IV pumps and IV push
* Utilized Epic electronic charting system, Pyxis drug dispensation system
Acute Care: Providence Regional Medical Center, Everett, WA: Medical/Surgical Unit
* Administration of IV medications via IV pumps and IV push
* Provided wound care and performed dressing changes
* Responsible for blood glucose monitoring, insulin and medication administration for patients
* Used PRMCE electronic charting system
Acute Care: Veteran’s Affairs Hospital, Seattle, WA: Medical/Surgical Unit
* Assessments and full care for post-surgical patients on contact precautions (MRSA, C. difficile)
* Recognized by patients and clinical instructor for being thorough and caring
* Full care for patient with new tracheostomy
* PEG tube care and medication administration
* Used VA electronic patient records for charting, MicroMedex for drug information
Psychiatric Care: Swedish/Edmonds Medical Center, Edmonds, WA
* Provided therapeutic dialog and education about medications with patients on a closed unit.
* Assisted with nursing care as requested by staff nurses.
* Participated in and observed group discussions and activities.
Long Term Care: SeaMar Community Health Center, Seattle, WA
* Monitored vital signs, I/Os, and blood glucose
* Assisted with activities of daily living for full care clients including transfers with Hoyer lift
Rehabilitation Care: Veteran’s Affairs Hospital, Seattle, WA: Spinal Care Injury Unit
* Bedside care of tetraplegic and paraplegic clients
* Monitored pressure wounds, colostomies and urinary diversions
* Transferred patients via ceiling lift from bed to wheelchair
* Assisted with wound care for pressure ulcers
Maternity Care: Providence Medical Center, Everett, WA: Labor & Delivery
Northwest Hospital Medical Center, Seattle, WA: Labor & Delivery
* Assisted staff RN providing direct patient care in labor/delivery/recovery and postpartum to uncomplicated and complex, high risk OB patients
* Placed Foley catheters
* Conducted comprehensive maternal and neonatal assessments
* Assisted with discharge planning and teaching with family-centered approach
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
Research Scientist, University of Washington, Department of Environmental and
Occupational Health Sciences, Seattle, WA
* Occupational health research: Studied and managed over 50 volunteers in repetitive stress injury risk lab experiments and whole body vibration experiments in buses
* Analyzed data with Microsoft Excel, contributed to papers and proposals with Microsoft Word
Research Scientist, University of Washington, Department of Bioengineering, Seattle, WA
* Cardiac research: Conducted experiments and computer modeling regarding metabolism
and flow and the effects of ischemia on the heart
* Trained students and staff in proper experimental and lab safety methods
* Chemical and Radiation Safety Officer for laboratory, responsible for laboratory
compliance with state regulations
SELECTED VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
Mentor, Crisis Care for Children, Seattle, WA 2000-2001
* Worked with emotionally at risk children to provide support and to be a positive role model
Volunteer, Seattle Veterans Affairs Hospital, Emergency Department 2008
* Responded to patient's physical and emotional comfort needs and supported ED staff
Team Lead, Jackson Place Cohousing, Design & Construction and Facilitation Teams 1999-2001
* Facilitated numerous meetings, guiding and developing consensus among 20 families, developed
strategies to resolve and move beyond conflicts during design of 27 unit, $6.5 million condominium project
Seattle, WA - l.p.n., sterile, changes, tube, practitioner,...
Registered Nurse Staff
Bremerton, WA - anesthesia, nurse, flight, surgery, provider,...
Registered Nurse Medical
Seattle, WA - registered nurse, including, nurse, care,...
LPN Corporate Health &Wellness Insurance Company Field Interventionist
Tacoma, WA - lvn, nurse, acute, home health, health, wellness,...
Bellevue, WA - r.n., care, assisted, medication, health care,...
Research Scientist Engineer
Seattle, WA - scientist, chemistry, instructional, rodriguez,...
Redmond, WA - solid, laser, labview, physics, scientist, alan,...