West Linn, Oregon 97068 Cell: 971-***-****
Accomplished Executive who leads by building shared vision, establishing motivating plans and measures, enjoys the execution and shares the victories. Experience in leading diverse organizations to improved profitability, operational efficiency, and greater market share all under the umbrella of integrity.
Lightspeed Aviation – Lake Oswego, OR 2005-June 2009
Leading national provider of noise canceling communication headsets for the general aviation industry.
• Oversaw the development of quality systems, manufacturing, repair, materials management, testing and infrastructure leading to the launch of an exceptional new product that moved the company from $5 million to over $10 million in sales, operating earnings of over $1 million. Established Lightspeed as the number one company in the high end market.
• Member of the Lean Management team which made dramatic improvements in space utilization, process definition, visibility of issues and efficiency creating energized and self sufficient work teams sustaining constant improvements.
• Appointed to the management staff, performance system design and facilities relocation teams. We established a new developmentally oriented evaluation/compensation system, designed and built a new manufacturing facility incorporating layout and state of the art equipment.
Cornerstone Engineering – Decatur, AL 2004-2005
Highly regarded, southeastern contract engineering firm providing chemical, mechanical and electrical design and project management for process and facility improvements for chemical and other industrial clients including 3M, Daikin, Monsanto, NASA and Engelhard.
• Planned, estimated and oversaw the execution of 25 to30 capital projects for clients, utilizing teams of chemical, electrical, mechanical and design/drafting personnel resulting in the successful completion of projects generating $1.5 million in revenue.
• Hired and developed the sales organization for the company widely expanding the customer base. Incorporated a new engineering discipline, OSHA directed arc flash analysis, for a multi-plant new client. This opened the door to other capital projects in over 30 plants.
• Project Manager for air scrubber project, ventilation and production enhancement projects. Successfully solving numerous customers’ problems without disrupting daily plant operations.
Home Dialysis Plus – Portland, OR 2003-2004
Vice President of Manufacturing, Board Member
Innovator in home hemodialysis technology, developing a miniature dialyzer and compact, simple home machine for individuals with end stage renal failure.
• Negotiated initial corporate structure & wrote business plan for the formation of HD+ in alliance with a Michael Baker and Associates, an Seattle business development firm, Altman and Browning, a Portland based engineering company and Pacific R&D.
• Directed company formation, planning and prototype work, successful proof of concept machine which led to the research support from Gambro Healthcare and the State ONAMI Center for Excellence valued at over $750,000 for the dialyzer development.
• Created overall product development/cost plan and supported capital formations activities which led to acquisition of intellectual property from OSU the National Lab and HP valued at over $20 million.
Sonetics Corporation – Portland, OR 1998-2003
General Manager, Executive Team Member
International $6.4M Aviation and Fire/Rescue communications device manufacturing company.
• Developed the leadership team that achieved increased operating income by 30%.
• Reduced debt by 80% and created a formal cost reduction program with 15% cost savings.
• Rebuilt infrastructure, and increased sales 7% per year in new products and markets.
Chuck Albert and Associates – Portland, OR 1997-1998
Medical device consulting specializing in short term projects with start up companies.
• Served as COO for Ikonos Corporation, spearheading the sell of their surgical products division, comprised of neurosurgical and ENT devices.
• Completed product development and manufacturing for the successful launch of patented urological devices for Goulter Medical.
• Founded Pacific R & D specializing in contract and project work on medical devices, including the design and development of a medical compression clamp, engineering support for AKSYS home hemo dialysis machine, and the formation of HD+.
Gambro Healthcare – Lakewood, CO 1996-1997
Director of Manufacturing
International $300 million health services/medical device manufacturer of dialysis equipment.
• Managed production, engineering, materials, information systems and training for hemodialysis equipment business in this 170 employee, $35 million in sales Division.
• Chaired a management team of marketing, R&D, HR, finance and field service for strategic and operational planning. Achieved cost reductions, alignment, and elimination of regulatory restraints.
• Developed and implemented a plan which resulted in $1 million overhead reduction.
• Spearheaded the operational strategy clearing two FDA warning letters achieving full ISO certification.
National Applied Science/Precision Interconnect Medical – Portland, OR 1994-1996
Director of Manufacturing for National Applied Science, COO for PI Medical
International development project for continuous glucose monitoring and a medical technology company specializing in subcutaneous electrical interfaces, sensors and wiring.
• Created operations and product development plans for an international medical device start up company focusing on a subcutaneous glucose monitoring device.
• Managed operations for PI Medical and built infrastructure which lead to development of cochlear implants and specialty component laser machining.
Althin Medical – Portland, OR 1992-1994
Vice President of Manufacturing
International $100 million health services/medical device manufacturer of dialysis equipment.
• Managed production, marketing, engineering, development, finance, human resources and information services for this $30M hemodialysis equipment and clinical software division with 250 employees.
• Increased sales from $11 to $30 million, with market share growth from 1% to approximately 10%.
• Improved profit from negative $1.2 to positive $1.6 million.
• Developed and launched products for worldwide markets, resulting in $15 million in incremental sales.
• Improved ROI from negative 15.7% to positive 12.4%.
• Facilitated acquisition, integration and operation of a PC based clinical software business.
• $1700 per dialysis machine in material and labor costs, lowered standard cost by over 20%.
Codman and Shurtleff, a J&J Company – Randolph, MA 1986-1992
Plant Manager, Director of Manufacturing, Executive Director of Quality Improvement
Leading surgical instrument and medical supply company.
• Managed the plant that manufactured 1100 different surgical instruments and devices with 300 employees generating $30M in annual sales.
• Created plans and initiatives in new product releases that increased plant sales by $6 million.
• Lead times went from 13 to 4 weeks, optimized manufacturing space by 25% and reduced inventory by $200,000 using Lean concepts.
• Directed plant consolidation integrating two work cultures, with $1M in cost improvements.
• Responsible for initiatives resulting in increased plant gross profit from 43% to 52% in 24 months.
• Selected by the Board of Directors to direct a quality improvement cultural change. Trained 700 employees and assisted each division in implementing process improvements valued at over $1 million.
American Hospital Supply, V. Mueller Division – Chicago, IL 1978-1986
Plant Engineer, Plant Engineering Manager, Production Manager, Corporate Staff Engineering Manager
Masonite Corporation, Charcoal Division – Meridian, MS 1975-1978
United States Gypsum Company – Jacksonville, FL 1973-1975
Project Engineer, Senior Engineer
Auburn University – Auburn, AL
BS, Mechanical Engineering
Florida Atlantic University – Fort Lauderdale, FL
Masters of Business Administration
• NASA Cooperative Education Program, Huntsville, Alabama
• International Management Program- Swedish Management Institute
• World Class Management- Fuqua Business School, Duke University
• Corporate Strategic Management- Kellogg Business School
• Quality Improvement Executive Director’s Program- J&J Quality Institute
• American Electronics pilot Partnership for Competitiveness Program
• IBM’s pilot Business Management Program
• Johnson & Johnson management development and Corporate Quality training