AMI DESAI 405-***-**** / email@example.com
Biology (Microbiology) major seeks a challenging entry level position in a team-based but individual goal-oriented environment.
Quest Diagnostics Nicholas Institute April 2012 - Present
Medical Technologist Trainee
• In the Immunoassay department, performing complex assay called Dihydrotestosterone.
• Doing calculations and releasing final results.
Bachelor of Science in Biology (December, 2011) [Dean’s List]
George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia; GPA: 3.66
Coursework towards Master of Science in Microbiology (May, 2008)
Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India; GPA: 3.56 (US equivalent)
Bachelor of Science in Microbiology (May, 2007)
Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India; GPA: 3.70 (US equivalent)
Biostatistics, Vaccines, Applied Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Cellular Biology, Virology, Genetics, Infectious Diseases, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Biochemistry and Ecology.
RELATED LABORATORY SKILLS AND PROCEDURES
• Isolation and identification of bacteria, actinomycetes, yeast, bacteriophages and fungi Performed Streak plate, Pour plate and Spread plate techniques. Also, performed biochemical tests to identify bacteria.
• Evaluation of bacterial growth and factors affecting growth, Aseptic technique
• Preparation of different media and solutions, Sterility Testing, Cleaning of glassware
• Know operation of autoclave, pH meter, and spectrophotometer. Performed Gram staining, Cell wall staining, Acid-Fast staining, Capsule staining, Spirochete staining and Metachromatic granule staining.
Biochemistry & Immunology:
• Paper Chromatography, Gas Chromatography, Thin Layer Chromatography, HPLC, Gel Electrophoresis and Ultraviolet Spectroscopy, ELISA, Antigen-Antibody reactions, Antibiotic Assays, Wet chemistry
Genetics and Molecular Biology:
• Isolation of nucleic acids and plasmids using Polymerase Chain Reaction
• Isolation of antibiotic resistant mutants and pigment variant mutants
• G+C determination and One step growth curve of bacteriophages
RELEVENT RESEARCH PROJECTS & PRESENTATIONS
George Mason University (July, 2010 to December, 2011)
• Located journal articles in various databases and prepare PowerPoint slides. Did a presentation on topics ranging from public speaking, vaccines, new methods of vaccine delivery, an antimicrobial resistance etc.
School of Science, Gujarat University (January 2008)
• Participated in scientific journal research to investigate Microorganisms Resistant to Free Living Amoebae
• Examined Stages of Free Living Amoebae, Effect of Environmental conditions and Amoeba Resistant microorganisms in laboratory and delivered a presentation
The American Society for Microbiology
R software, Vortex, Microsoft Office 2007 (MS Word, MS Access, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel), HTML and XHTML
Available on request