SENIOR LEVEL ASSIGNMENTS
1.1 Academic Qualification:
# Ph.D., Mechanical-Welding Technology, Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400 076, September 1995.
# M.E., Mechanical-Production, Govt. College of Technology, Tamilnadu, Coimbatore 641013, June 1989, First class.
# B.E. Mechanical Engineering, Govt. College of Technology, Tamilnadu, Coimbatore 641013, November 1986, First class.
# Diploma Mechanical Engineering., PSG Polytechnic College, Coimbatore 641 004, May 1981, First class.
M.E., Project Work: Design and Fabrication of an Industrial Robot
Title of Ph.D Thesis: Studies on Some Aspects of the Pulsed Current Gas Metal Arc Welding Process.
1.2 Professional Experience:
1.2.1 Academic, R&D, Industrial, Consultancy and Administrative Experience:
# July 2009 to Till Date: Proprietor (Running my own Welding Consultancy work), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
# June 2007 to June 2009, R&D Manager, Primo Automation Systems (P) Ltd, Chennai,
# June 2005 to May 2007: Principal, Kings College of Engineering, Punalkulam Village, Pudukkottai District, Gandarva kottai (Tk)- 613 303. Tamil Nadu.
# Jan 2005 to June 2005: R&D Manager, R&D Engineer R.V Machine Tools, Coimbatore 641 006, Tamil Nadu.
# June 2004 to Jan 2005:Principal- Vel SRS College of Multimedia (Engineering), Avadi Chennai 600 062, Tamil Nadu.
# March 2003 to June 2004: Principal, Arasu Engineering College, Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu
# Dec. 1999 to March 2003. Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Sri Krishna College of Engineering and Technology, Kuniamuthur Post, Coimbatore 641 008. Tamil Nadu
# Oct 1997 to Dec. 1999. Assistant Professor, Production Engineering Department, Amrita Institute of Technology & Science, Coimbatore 641105. Tamil Nadu
# Nov.1995 to Oct. 1997. Lecturer, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore 641 004. Tamil Nadu
# July 1995 to Nov. 1995. Senior Project Leader, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore 641 004.
# March 19, 1994 to July 19, 1995, R&D Engineer R.V Machine Tools, Coimbatore 641 006, Tamil Nadu.
# June 1, 1981 to Oct 31, 1986, Welding/Fabrication/R&D Engineer, Eminent Engineering Corporation (Heavy Fabrication, and Machinery Manufactures), Coimbatore 641027. Tamil Nadu
Total Experience in Teaching, R&D, Industry and Administration: 22 Years and 6 Months
1.2.2 Research Experience:
June 1989 to June 1995: Research Scholar, Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400 076. Total Experience in Research: 6 Years
Grand Total Experience in Academic, R&D, Administration and Industry: 28 1/2 years.
Published so far 15 research papers with American Welding Society alone. In addition to that, I have so far published twenty one research papers, based on my doctoral thesis, in many reputed international journals/conference proceedings mostly in UK and USA.
1.3 Research Paper Publication in U.S.A/U.K:
1.3.1 List of Publications in Journals
1. Surface Topography of Pulsed Current GMA Clads. Surface Engineering, 16 (6): 495-500, 2000. U.K.
2. Weld Bead Characteristics in Pulsed GMA Welding of Al-Mg Alloys. Welding Journal, 78 (12): 397 s-407 s, 1999. U.S.A.
3. Droplet Detachment and Plate Fusion Characteristics in Pulsed Current Gas Metal Arc Welding Process. Welding Journal, 77 (6): 254 s-269 s, 1998. U.S.A.
1.3.2 List of Publications in International Conference Proceedings in U.S.A.
4. Rajasekaran. S: A Process Control System in Pulse GMA Welding Al-Mg Alloys of Aircraft on the Basis of Process Stability, and Process-Integrated Quality Assurance. 89TH FABTECH International and American Welding Society Welding Show Professional Program, October 06-08, 2008, Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.
5. Rajasekaran. S: Scope of Welding Technology Training in South India, International Agency Symposium, April 27 to April 30, 2008, American Welding Society, Head Quarters, Miami, FL, USA.
6. Rajasekaran. S: The Effect of Parameters of the Pulsed Current GMA Welding on the Stability of Resistance of the Welding Arc. "87th FABTECH International and AWS Welding Show Professional Program" Georgia World Congress Center, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, October 30 - November 2, 2006.
7. Rajasekaran. S: The Interaction of Pulsed Current GMA Welding Variables on the Shape and Size of the Weld. "87th FABTECH International and AWS Welding Show Professional Program" Georgia World Congress Center, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, October 30 - November 2, 2006.
8. Rajasekaran. S. A Process Control System to Determine an Optimum GMAW-P Parameter on the Basis of Process-Integrated Quality Assurance" professional program, FABTECH International / AWS Welding Show, November 13-16, 2005, Chicago, Illinois.
9. Rajasekaran. S. The Experimental Approach on the Process-Integrated Quality Assurance in Pulsed GMA/MIG Welding of Al-Mg Alloys. The 86TH Annual AWS Convention and 2005 Welding Show, April 26-28, 2005, Dallas Convention Center, Dallas, Texas, U.S.A, pp 26-30.
10. Rajasekaran. S. The Experimental Studies on the Process-integrated Quality Assurance in Pulsed Current GMA Welding of Aluminum. Eleventh International Conference on Computer Technology in Welding, December 5 and 6, 2001, Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A, American Welding Society, Miami, Fla. U.S.A. National Institute of Standards and Technology, United States Department of Commerce, Special Publication No. 973, May 2002, pp 3-20.
11. Rajasekaran. S. Weld Surface Undulation Characteristics in the Pulsed GMA Welding Process. The Ninth International Conference on Computer Technology in Welding, September 28-30,1999, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A, American Welding Society, Miami, Fla. National Institute of Standards and Technology, United States Department of Commerce, Special Publication No. 949, May 2000, pp 349-360.
12. Effect of Parameters of the Pulsed Current on Droplet Detachments and Effect of Different Types of Droplet Detachments on Weld Bead Geometry. Presented at the 77 th Annual American Welding Society Convention, April 21-25, 1996, Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. American Welding Society, Miami, Fla. 1996.
13. Prediction of Stable Pulse Parametric Zone and the Characteristics of Droplet Detachment and Weld Bead in Pulsed Current Gas Metal Arc Welding Process. Poster-Session of the Professional Program at the 76 th Annual American Welding Society Convention and International Welding and Fabricating Exposition, April 3-6, 1995, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A. Abstracts of Papers, PP 263-264. AWS, Miami, Fla. 1995.
14. Molten Droplet Detachment Characteristics in Steady and Pulsed Current GMA Welding Al-Mg Alloys. Proceedings. Sixth International Conference on Aluminum Weldments (INALCO '95), April 3-5, 1995, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A. PP 207-224. American Welding Society, Miami, Fla. 1995.
15. Droplet Detachment and Plate Fusion Characteristics in Pulsed Current Gas Metal Arc Welding Process. Proc. Advanced Joining Technologies for New materials II, March 2-4, 1994, The Cocoa Beach Hilton, Florida, U.S.A, PP 172 to 187, American Welding Society, Miami, Fla. 1994.
1.3.3 Research Paper Publication in China:
16. Rajasekaran. S. Clad Surface Characteristics of Al-Mg Alloy Components Using the Pulsed Current GMAW Process. The Second International Conference on Surface Engineering ICSE'99, Oct 17-21, 1999, Wuhan, China.
1.3.4 Research Paper Publication in India:
17. Rajasekaran. S: Fundamentals of Pulsed Current GMAW Process and its application in Engineering Industries. Advances in MIG/MAG welding process, September 23, 2005, Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Coimbatore. Pp 44-53. 2005.
18. Rajasekaran, S. Joining Stainless Steel with Laser: A Promising Technology, Power Beams and Material Processing Conference, 2002, India.
19. Rajasekaran. S: Influence of Process Parameter On The Clad Surface Characteristics In Pulsed Current GMAW Process, Indian Welding Journal, 1999, V 32; Part 4, pages 44-52
20. Rajasekaran. S: A Method of Selecting the Most Suitable Combination of Parameter In Pulsed Current Gas Metal Arc Welding Process. Proc. International Conference on Advance in Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Roorkee, Roorkee 247667, Feb 6-8, 1997, pp 1115 to 1122. 1997.
21. Rajasekaran. S: Prediction of Parameters of the Pulsed Current Gas Metal Arc Welding. Proc. International Welding Conference-1996 (IWC-96), Bombay (Mumbai), December 5-7, 1996 pp A-050-1 to A-050-10. 1996.
1.4 Citation Details
1.4.1 Citation on the Research Papers
More research-credits go to the author, having a large number of citations, when comparing to total number of research papers published by the same author. In this sense, his work has been cited in the area of pulsed current gas metal arc welding, in the prestigious American Welding Societys Welding Hand Book, more than two international books, 30 international journals/conference proceedings, two Ph.D theses and one Masters thesis etc. It is found that the total number of citation seems to be very high in the field of Welding Engineering and Technology. He is still collecting further additional citation details from various sources (it may exceed even 300).
More than 180 Professors/Research Scholars/Scientists mostly from the U.S, China, Brazil, Germany, Venezuela and Taiwan have cited and mentioned Dr. S. Rajasekarans name in their reference column in one of the advanced welding processes called pulsed current gas metal arc welding for writing their hand book/reference book/text books/research papers/Ph.D theses etc. It is considered to be a great achievement for the research work carried out by him day and night in the last nineteen years. Still collecting further additional citation details from various sources (it may exceed even 300).
The below mentioned table shows summary of total number of international authors across the countries who have cited Dr. S. Rajasekarans name in their research papers.
USA: More than 87
China: More than 53
Germany: More than 4
India: More than 10
Taiwan: More than 2
Australia: More than 2
Brazil: More than 12
Venezuela: More than 10
Total: More than 180
1.4.2 Citation on the Books: Following authors have mentioned my name in their Books
i) Annette OBrien (Editor) Hand Book Committee, American Welding Society, USA; D.B. Holliday, Chair, Northrop Grumman Marine Systems, U.S.A; R.M. Dull, Edison Welding Institute, U.S.A; D.K. Hartman, The Lincoln Electric Company, U.S.A; D.A. Wright, Zephyr Products, Incorporated, U.S.A; B.R. Somers, Lucius Pitkin, Incorporated, U.S.A: American Welding Societys Welding Handbook, Volume 2, Welding Processes, Part-1, Chapter 4: Gas Metal Arc Welding, Ninth edition, 147-207, 2004 (Priced $ 192).
ii) A book entitled "Modelling Sensing and Control of Gas Metal Arc Welding" written by three famous university professors of USA Dr. Desineni Subbaram Naidu (Idaho State University, Idaho, U.S.A)., Dr. Selahattin Ozcelik (Texas A&M University, Texas, U.S.A)., and Dr. Kevin L. Moore (Utah State University, Utah, U.S.A), published by Elsevier Science Ltd., U.S.A (Priced $ 199).
iii) Another book in Portugal language entitled "UMA CONTRIBUIÇÃO AO ESTUDO DA SOLDAGEM VERTICAL DESCENDENTE, UTILIZANDO O PROCESSO FCAW- POR CURTO-CIRCUITO E PULSADO written by Eng . EDUARDO MIGUEL DA SILVA and Prof. Dr. SEBASTIÃO CARLOS DA COSTA (Universidade Federal de Itajubá).
1.4.3 Citation on the Thesis: Following authors have mentioned my name in their Thesis
i) Andrew Paul Joseph, B.S: Assessing the Effects of GMAW-Pulse Parameters on Arc Power and Weld Heat Input, Masters Thesis, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, U.S.A, 2001, P 110.
ii) Sven Frithjof Goecke: Effects of Active Gas Mixing Within the VPM Range to Argon on the Pulse MIG Welding of Aluminum, Ph.D Thesis (Doctor of the Engineer sciences), Technical University of Berlin, 2004, P 161. (Sven-Frithjof Goecke aus Potsdam: Auswirkungen von Aktivgaszumischungen im vpm-Bereich zu Argon auf das MIG-Impulsschwei?en von Aluminium, Von der Fakultat V-Verkehrs-und Maschinensysteme der Technischen Universitat Berlin zur Erlangung des akademischen Grades, Doktor der Ingenieurswissenschaften-Dr.-Ing.-genehmigte Dissertation, Promotionsausschuss: Vorsitzender: Prof. Dr. Ing. Eckart Uhlmann, Berichter: Prof. Dr. Ing. Dr. h.c. Lutz Dorn, Berichter: Prof. Dr. Ing. Habil. Gabriele Nutsch, Tag der wissenschaftlichen Aussprache: 9. August 2004, Berlin 2004, D 83. p 161).
iii) Subramaniam, S. (American citizen). Process Modeling and Analysis for Pulsed Gas Metal arc welding of an Aluminum Automotive Spaceframe. Ph.D. Thesis, West Virginia University, Morgantown. U.S.A, 1996, p 240.
1.5 M/S Ford Motor Company, Detroit, U.S.A
The world famous M/S FORD Motor Company, Detroit, U.S.A has referred some of his work in their own research work in the development of welding procedure for aluminum automotive bodies of FORD cars.
1.6 Honors and Awards
1.6.1 All India Radio Programme
Presented a live AIR Programme combined with the students of the Kurinji College of Engineering, Tamilnadu, India and "All India Radio-Trichy, india" on "Good Time" at Kurinji College of
Engineering, Tamilnadu, India.
1.6.2 The Tamilnadu Diploma Engineers Council, India.
The Tamilnadu Diploma Engineers Council, Salem branch, India affiliated to All India Federation of Diploma Engineers, New Delhi, India has honored him-to appreciate his efforts being a Diploma holder studied further and developed to the forefront career within a short period of time after serving as an Workshop Instructor in Polytechnic college and as a Lecturer, an Assistant Professor and Professor in an engineering colleges, on September 17, 2006 during Dr. M. P.Sivagnanams Golden jubilee program with an award.
1.6.3 Sun TV
Sun TV, India interviewed him about his inventions in the Advanced Welding Technology and telecasted in the program "OUR SCIENTISTS"
1.6. 4 Jewel of India Award
Recently got "JEWEL OF INDIA AWARD" and "MERIT OF ACHIVEMENT CERTIFICATE" from
International Institute of Education and management, New Delhi.
Member of A) American Welding Society, U.S.A (Membership Number:549375)
B) Indian Institute of Welding, India (Membership Number: A 00291)
C) Indian society for technical education, India. (LM 30177)
1.8 Training Programs Attended in the U.S.
Attended several advanced training programs in the U.S.A. Some of them are given below.
* Purdue University School of Engineering and Technology, Indianapolis, Indiana
* Electronics Manufacturing Productivity Facility, Indianapolis, Indiana
* DELCO Electronics Corporation, Kokomo, Indiana. (A world leader in automotive electronics).
1.9 National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Seen space shuttle launching and landing at the site in National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), John F. Kennedy Space Center, Merritt Island, Florida, U.S.A. Also seen various stages in the manufacture of the space shuttle. Also visited the following two NASA in the U.S.A:
(i) Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas.
(ii) NASA Lewis Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio.
1.10 University/Industries/Research Institutes Visited in the U.S.A
Visited more than thirty Universities/Industries/Research Institutes in the U.S.A to see the various research facilities. Some of them are.
# Ohio State University, Ohio, U.S.A.
# Michigan State University, Michigan, U.S.A.
# Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
# Florida State Technology, Tallahassee, Florida, U.S.A
# The Edison Welding Institute, Columbus, U.S.A.
# Navy Joining Center, Columbus, U.S.A.
# Kaverner Shipyard, Philadelphia, U.S.A
# General Motors, Indianapolis, Indiana. (The world's biggest industrial enterprise, also the
world's largest auto-maker).
1.11 Guest Lecture
Delivered several guest lectures in the areas such as welding, machining, robotics, weld stability study etc. in many American universities, industries, and research centers. Some of them are given below.
1. National Institute of Standards and Technology, Boulder, Colorado, U.S.A.
2. Lincoln Electric Company, Cleveland, U.S.A.
3. Miller Electric Manufacturing Company, Appleton, U.S.A.
4. Colorado School of Mines and Technology, Colorado, U.S.A.
5. South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, South Dakoto, U.S.A.
6. American Welding Society, U.S.A.
7. ESAB, USA
1.12 Visited the U.K -Twice
Visited the following Research Institutes/industries
# The Welding Institute (TWI), Cambridge (This is World Center for Materials Joining Technology).
# British Steel- Track Products and Engineering, Workington, Cumbria and
# Several Medium Scale Industries.
1.13 Visited the United Arab Emirates
Recently visited several Universities in UAE
1.14 New Post-graduate Subjects Introduced
The following new post-graduate subjects were introduced and new syllabus was framed by him for Government College of Technology, Coimbatore 614 013, South India.
# Surface Mount Technology
# Rapid Prototyping
# Advanced Welding Technology
1.15 New Under-graduate Subjects Introduced
The following New Under-graduate syllabus was framed by him for PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore 614006, India.
# Welding Technology
# Foundry Technology
# Manufacturing Processes I and II
# Production Technology I and II
1.16 Key note Address at Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited- Tiruchirappalli
Delivered a highly prestigious key note address entitled "Pulsed Current GMA Welding Process:
Fundamentals and Its Applications in Welding Industries" at the School of Advanced Engineering and Information Technology (A Prestigious MoU Project of BHEL Tiruchirappalli and Indian Institute of Technology-Madras), MHD Campus, BHEL Complex, Tiruchirappalli 620 014 for the National level students symposium FUZON 07 on Welding Technology and Welding metallurgy on April 11, 2007.
1.17 Personal Vitae
Date of Birth : 20th April 1963.
I am running my own Welding consultancy at Coimbatore, Tamilnadu.