POST APPLIED FOR: BIOCHEMISTRY LECTURER/ASSNT. PROFESSOR(FOR
NAME: RAJESH P.N. (RAJESH PUTHENPURACKAL NARAYANAN) I. PERSONAL DETAILS
Age and date of Birth: 47 years, 10-09-1973
Indian Passport No. : M 1372651
Languages known: English, Malayalam, Hindi (to read, write and speak) and Amharic (only to speak)
Fathers Name: P. K. Narayanan
ADDRESS FOR COMMUNICATION (ADDRESS IN INDIA)
Chandrasekharan Gurukkal Road
Karanthur –P.O, Kunnamangalam (Via.)
Kozhikode -Dist. Kerala -State, India. PIN-673 571. CONTACTS:
Mob. (India) - 703-***-**** (+91)
Mob. (Ethiopia)- 091*******(+251)
Skype: 917008132(+ 251)
ADDRESS AS IN THE PASSPORT:
Karanthur – P.O, Kunnamangalam (Via.)
Kozhikode -Dist. Kerala – State, India. PIN-673571 2
Lecturer (Clinical Biochemistry)
Dept. of Biomedical Sciences,
College of Health Sciences,
Debre Tabor University, Debre Tabor, Ethiopia.
III.EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS (SUMMARY)
1. A first class Masters degree in Biochemistry (M.Sc. Biochemistry) with Clinical Biochemistry, Biotechnology and Microbiology from Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, India (Score: 65%): Year of passing: 1997.
2. A first class Bachelors Degree (B.Sc.) with Biochemistry, Zoology and Botany from Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, India (Score: 84%).Year of passing: 1994. 3. Registered for PhD degree in Biochemistry at University of Calicut, India (part time). IV. MAJOR ACHIVEMENTS
1. Qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) for Asst. Professorship in Biochemistry (2001) which is a basic requirement for teaching positions in any Indian Universities-under University Grant Commission (UGC/CSIR /ICAR) in India.
2. Animal Science Aptitude Test -16
rank holder in the state (Conducted by Zoological
3. Post graduate level Examiner (Biochemistry) for the Practical examinations in various affiliated colleges under University of Calicut, Kerala, India. 4. M.Sc. Project supervisor - participated and completed two M.Sc. research projects (Project works for M.Sc. Medical Physiology students – submitted to Jimma University, Ethiopia). In addition, I have guided 4 M.Sc. Biochemistry students in their project works (Submitted to the Department of Life Sciences, University of Calicut, India). Most of these works have been published in reputed journals.
V.EXPERIENCE IN TEACHING:
**18 years of experience as Lecturer/Asst. Professor in Biochemistry in India and abroad in various institutions (Medical and Non- medical) at the graduate and postgraduate levels.
TEACHING EXPERIENCE IN INDIA (TOTAL 5 YEARS)
1. Lecturer in Biochemistry (PG level) at School of Biosciences, Mahatma Gandhi University Kottayam, Kerala, India- a post graduate teaching and research department. 2.Lecturer in Biochemistry(PG level) in the Department of Life sciences, University of Calicut, Kerala, India- a postgraduate teaching and research department. 3.Lecturer in Biochemistry(UG level) at PMS Calicut University Centre, Andrott, Lakshadweep, India-- a postgraduate teaching and research department. TEACHING EXPERIENCE IN ETHIOPIA (TOTAL 13 ACADEMIC YEARS/ 7 TH
1.Worked as Lecturer in Clinical Biochemistry in the Department of Biomedical sciences, College of Public Health and Medical Sciences, Jimma University, Ethiopia, from December 2008 to July 2014 (6 academic Years/3 contracts), under the United Nations Educational Programme.
I have been involved in Conducting theory and practical classes in Biochemistry for PG Courses in Medical Physiology, Nutrition, Clinical chemistry, Medical Microbiology, Agriculture Biotechnology and Post graduate surgery residents (Advanced Clinical Biochemistry).
I have been involved in conducting theory and practical classes in Biochemistry for UG courses in Medical/ Para-medical courses (Dentistry, Anesthesia, Nursing, Midwifery, Medial Lab. Science, Pharmacy, and Biomedical Engineering) based on the Traditional curriculum.
I have been also involved in conducting theory and practical classes for non –medical disciplines such as Post Harvest Management, Plant Science (sugar cane), Horticulture Animal science and Veterinary Medicine.
2. Presently working as Lecturer in Clinical Biochemistry in the Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Health Sciences, Debre Tabor University, Debre Tabor, Ethiopia from September 2014(4
contract), under the United Nations Educational Programme.
I have been involved in Conducting theory and practical classes in Biochemistry for UG courses in Medical/ paramedical courses (Anesthesia, Nursing, Midwifery, Medial Lab. Science and Pharmacy) based on the new INTEGRATED /INNOVATIVE HYBRID MEDICAL CURRICULUM.
I have been also involved in conducting theory and practical classes for non –medical disciplines such as Natural Sciences ( Biology and Chemistry) and Agriculture(Plant sciences, Horticulture and Animal sciences)
ATTENDED VARIOUS TRAINING PROGRAMMES/WORKSHOPS ON INNOVATIVE MEDICAL CURRICULUM AND ITS IMPLEMENTATION ORGANIZED BY DEBRETABOR UNIVERSITY/JAPEIGO.
1. Training on Medical Qualification Examination question writing. 2. Training on PBL case preparation.
3. Member of the panel of question writers for Medical Qualification Examinations. 4. Participated in PBL case preparation/revision for Medical curriculum as a subject expert (Clinical Biochemistry).
5. Participated in Curriculum improvement/revision for Medicine and Midwifery curriculum as a subject expert (Clinical Biochemistry). V.EXPERIENCE IN RESEARCH
More than 16 years (includes experience as Research Fellows (projects)/ Scientist/ Lecturer in various National Institutions/post graduate teaching & research Department) of research experience in Biochemistry and related areas.
POSITION HELD /INSTITUTIONS/EXPERIENCE
1. R&D Scientist - Clinical Biochemistry at Terumo – Penpol Ltd. (an Indo- Japanese blood bag manufacturing firm ), Trivandrum, India.
Duties and responsibilities: Research work involving the improvement of the quality of blood bag solutions and its quality analysis. Experiments related to the enhancement of quality of the stored blood in blood bags.
2. Scientist-B (Metabolic disorders/Clinical Biochemistry) in the diagnosis of Metabolic Disorders at Metabolic Disorders Research Centre (MDRC), Trivandrum, India. Duties and responsibilities: Diagnosis of metabolic and genetic disorders and patient evaluation during treatment process using patients samples using biochemical techniques like HPLC.
3. Junior Research Fellow (JRF) in the project entitled “Purification and characterization of M.M.W proteins of M. tuberculosis which can be a potential candidate for the development of vaccine and for the development of a diagnostic kit” at Sree Chithirathirunal Institute of Medical Science and Technology (SCTIMST), Trivandrum, India. Duties and responsibilities: Culturing of multi-resistant strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, purification and characterization of MMW proteins, development of antiserum and utilization of antiserum for development of ELISA and also as vaccine candidate. 5
4. Senior Research Fellow (SRF) at Indian institute of Spices Research, Calicut, India
(ICAR) under the project “Integrated Technologies for the value addition and post harvest Management in palms spices and Tropical Tuber crops”. Duties and responsibilities: Involved in the quality analyses, quality improvement and value addition of spices and other food /agricultural products. 5. Senior Research Fellow (SRF) at CPCRI Kasaragod (ICAR) under the project-
“Allelopathic interaction in Plants.”(Characterization of various allelo-phytochemicals involved in plant interaction).
Duties and responsibilities: Characterization of allelo-pathic phyto-chemicals. 6. M.Sc. Project work entitled “Studies on Aflatoxin Toxicity” submitted to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, India for the partial fulfillment of M.Sc. Degree in Biochemistry. Works involved culturing of fungus in rice medium, extraction of aflatoxin, qualitative analysis of aflatoxin, studying the nullifying effect of turmeric,garlic etc on the aflatoxin induced hepatotoxicity in ducklings.
VII. RESEARCH WORKS UNDERTAKEN
1. Metabolic syndrome and its association with substance use in Jimma Town, South West Ethiopia (Jimma Unty. Staff research project- As Principal Investigator).
*Proposal submission: August 2012
2. Association between Iodine Deficiency Disorder and Academic Performance Among School Children in Jimma Town, South West Ethiopia (Jimma Unty. Staff research project - As Co- Investigator).
*Proposal submission: August 2012
RESEARCH WORKS PARTICIPATED
1. Iodine Nutritional status and goiter prevalence in School aged children in the Shebe District, South west Ethiopia-(2011).
2. Magnitude of Iodine deficiency and associated risk factors in school aged children- a study in Shebe- Senbo District of South west Ethiopia-(2011). 3. Assessment of iodine nutritional status in the 1st and 2nd trimesters of pregnancy, in Jimma Zone, Ethiopia-(2012).
4. Biochemical changes during the maturation and ripening of banana (2004/05). 5. Changes in the activity of amylases and cellulase during the maturation and ripening of banana-(2004/05).
6. Antibacterial activities of extracts of Piper chaba (Bangla Thipali) and Azadiricta indica
7. Involved in the research work related to the development/ modification of blood bag solutions to retain the levels of 2, 3 –bis-phospho glycerate–CPDA and SAGM-at Terumo- Penpol R&D TVM, India-(2002/03).
VIII.ONGOING RESEARCH PROGRAMMES
1. Development of molecular diagnostic techniques and screening of pathogenic Leptospira spp. in rodents and water sources of Guna –Tana belt South Gondar Zone, North west Ethiopia -waiting for approval and funding. (DTU staff Research Project-As Principal Investigator). 2. Screening of aflatoxin contamination in various food commodities in South Gondar Zone, North West Ethiopia- work completed, preparing the final results and outcomes (DTU staff Research Project- As Co- Investigator).
3. A study on the effectiveness Zero-energy chamber for the storage of fresh fruits and vegetables in Ethiopian farm condition -accepted /funded and work in progress (DTU community Service Research Project-As Co- Investigator).
4. Organo-chloride pesticide analysis in water sediments and fish species of Lake Tana- accepted
/funded (DTU staff Research Project -As Co- Investigator).Completed. IX.PUBLICATIONS:
1. Association between IDD and academic performance among school children in Jimma Town, South West Ethiopia- a cross sectional study. Journal of Food and Nutrition Sciences 2017;5(2):44-50.http://www.sciencepublishinggroup.com/j/jfnsdoi:10.11648/j.jfns.20170502.14 ISSN: 2330-7285 (Print); ISSN: 2330-7293.
2. Prevalence Of Metabolic Syndrome And Its Components In Jimma Town, South West Ethiopia. International Journal Of Medical Science And Clinical Inventions Volume 3 issue 3 2016 page no. 1684-1704 e-ISSN:2348-991X p-ISSN: 2454-9576 (DOI: 10.18535/ijmsci/v3i3.7). 3. Influence Of Substance Use On The Development Of Metabolic Syndrome In The Semi- Urban Population Of Jimma Town, South West Ethiopia. International Journal Of Medical Science And Clinical Inventions Volume 3 issue 3 2016 page no. 1670-1684 e-ISSN: 2348-991X p-ISSN: 2454-9576 (DOI: 10.18535/ijmsci/v3i3.7).
4. Determining the Magnitude of Iodine Deficiency and Its Associated Risk Factors among Pregnant Women Visiting Jimma University Specialized Hospital for Antenatal Care. World Journal of Medicine and Medical Science Vol. 2, No. 4, April 2014, PP: 1 - 16, ISSN: 2330 - 1341 5. Physical Activity And Dietary Factors As Determinants Of Metabolic Syndrome Among Adults In Jimma Town, South West Ethiopia. International Journal Of Medical Science And Clinical Inventions Volume 3 issue 4 2016 page no. 1772-1785 e-ISSN: 2348-991X p-ISSN: 2454-9576 (DOI: 10.18535/ijmsci/v3i4.6).
6. Magnitude of changes in the activity of amylase and cellulase and its effect on biochemical composition of banana (Musa spp.) Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology, Vol.3.Issue.2, 2014, OMICS Publishing, USA) ISSN: 2168-9652 BCP,
7. “Prevalence and Severity of Iodine Deficiency Disorder Among Children 6-12 Years of Age in Shebe Senbo District, Jimma Zone, Southwest Ethiopia” Ethiop J Health Sci. Vol. 22, No. 3 November 2012. 8. “Get a better grade of Mace by Blanching”- Spice India, Feb. 2002. 9. “Influence of harvesting and drying stages on the quality of Piper chaba hunter”- Journal of plantation Crops-(2003), 31(1):46-49.
10. “Zero energy Chamber – an effective post harvest storage system for fresh ginger”– Proceedings of National seminar on new perspectives in Spices, Medicinal and Aromatic plants – Nov.2003.
11. “Effect of blanching and drying on the quality of Mace (Myristica fragrance)”.Journal of Food science Technology (2004) Vol.ol.41, No.3, 306-308. 12. M.Sc. Dissertation work – “Studies on Aflatoxin Toxicity”-1997. PUBLICATIONS UNDER PROCESSING
1. Studies on the Anti bacterial potential of Java long pepper -Piper chaba hunter (under review). X.EXPERIENCE IN BIOCHEMICAL PROCEDURES AND INSTRUMENTATIONS 1. Sophisticated instruments- HPLC, GC, Spectrophotometer, and Fluorescent spectrophotometer 2. ELISA- techniques.
3. Assay of various enzymes – by spectrophotometric procedures. 4. Chromatographic techniques- Column, TLC etc.
5. Electrophoresis techniques - SDS / Native PAGE/Agarose gel electrophoresis for separation and characterization of proteins and Nucleic acids. 6. General Biochemistry (qualitative detection and quantitative estimation procedures- Clinical and non- clinical), Microbiology (culture techniques), Biotechnology (cell culture techniques) and molecular biology (purification and analysis of DNA -RAPD, RFLP- GEL DOC. and related procedures.
7. Various Organ Function Tests / Clinical Chemistry related procedures. XI.SPECIAL TRAINING IN BIOCHEMICAL PROCEDURES /TECHNIQUES 1. 2 Years experience in the diagnosis of metabolic disorders. 2. Experience in handling Waters-USA and Shimadzu HPLC systems-HPLC analysis of amino acid, organic acid, VLFA etc. (I will be able to standardize HPLC analytical procedures for novel molecules).
3. Special training on -protein purification and characterization. 4. Special training on- the quality analysis various Spices and Medicinal plants. 5. Attended 2 training programmes on pharmaceutical products as a part of my job (Officer Scientific Services/Medical Service Representative) in pharmaceutical firms such as Kopran India Ltd. and Emcure India Ltd.
6.Attended so many seminars and workshops organized as a part of research projects in SCTIMST, IISR, CTCRI and CPCRI (Govt. of India Institutions) where I had been working as a Research Fellow.
1. Knowledge of computer soft ware (Word, Excel, Power point and SPSS Statistical package) and its application in teaching and research. 2. Experience in pharmaceutical industry and knowledge about various pharmaceutical products- Kopran India Ltd. and Emcure India Ltd.
1. Mr. Berhanu Kindu
Lecturer, Department Head,
College of Health Sciences,
Debre Tabor University, Ethiopia.
2. Mr. Mekkonen Alemu
Asst. Professor of Clinical Biochemistry
Dept. of Biomedical Sciences
College of Public Health and Medical sciences
Jimma University, Ethiopia.
Mob: 091******* (+251)
3. Dr. Amsalu Molla
Dean, College of Health Sciences
Debre Tabor University
Ethiopia. Mob: 091*******(+251)
E mail: email@example.com
4. Mr. Yinebeb Mezgebu (Dr.)
Asst. Professor in Medical Physiology
Dept. of Biomedical Sciences
School of Medicine
Bahir Dar University, Bahir Dar
PhD Fellow (National University of Singapore)
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Dr. E Sreekumaran.
HOD Department of Life sciences
Associate professor of Human Physiology
University of Calicut, Kerala, India.
DECLARATION: All the information furnished above are true and correct as per the best of my knowledge and belief.
RAJESH. P. NARAYANAN
Debre Tabor, Ethiopia