FOOD & BEVERAGE DIRECTOR
New Concept Development • Revenue and Market Share Growth • Change Management Food, Labor, Pour Cost Control • Staff Management
Consummate hospitality industry professional with an impressive record of vigorous leadership in operational improvement, strategic planning, process improvement, food and labor cost control, and front/back of house operations. Well versed in catering operations, facilities management, inventory oversight, health and safety, project management, and policies/procedures. Hands-on manager with extensive experience in staff recruitment, supervision, and training/development with intent to deliver top class customer service. Influential communicator who builds strong working relationships rooted in trust and integrity. Forward thinker acknowledged for capacity to observe, calculate, and react swiftly to avert conflict and restore harmony in the workplace. Fluent in Trilingual: English, Arabic and Hebrew. Signature Strengths Include: Food/Beverage Operations • Front/Back of House Catering • Cost Controls • Process Improvement • Food/Safety Control • Menu Planning • Risk Prevention • Project Management • Quality Control • Establishing Policies/Procedures • Budgeting • Inventory Control • Purchasing Product Cost Reduction • • Workflow Improvement • Resource Allocations • Staffing Supervision Training and Development • Supplier Relationship Management • Contract Negotiations • Wine Pairing • P&L PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Food and Beverage Manager, OTO Development, Redwood City, CA; Oct 2019- Jan 2021 Assumed responsibility for all F&B and catering services for a business hotel (Courtyard by Marriott), planning / leading transformation / upgrade in the level of services (restaurant / catering).
• Policy Development: Designed all new operational policies and protocols for improving operational efficiencies. Reevaluated existing SOPs—contributing to top line revenue growth while holding labor costs to below 25% and food costs to less than 23% (all pre-pandemic). Introduced new F&B menu items, raised the intensity of staff training and development.
• Restaurant Financials: Worked with accounting staff to improve financial reporting, analyzing labor, food and beverage costs.
• Marketing: Researched and identified customer demographics; identify opportunities and present innovative solutions resulting in profits via new revenue streams, exceeding expectations.
• Cost Controls: Revamped buying and inventory control processes, lowering both food and labor costs by across the company.
• Human Resources: Authored job descriptions and employee manuals providing guidance for managers in need of help with recruiting, onboarding and training of bartenders, servers and other FOH and BOH staff.
• Trend Analysis / Menu Planning: Identified local and national trends, team with both FOH and BOH staff to create menu items that address customer preferences—and promote brand equity within each property. Restaurant Manager, Cavallo Point Lodge, Sausalito, CA; 2018-2019 Recruited to manage the properties Murray Circle restaurant as well as in-room dining options, overseeing a staff of 55 customer-facing staff members (servers, bartenders, hosts, runners and shift supervisors).
• Coordinated efforts with other departments (banquets, hotel, housekeeping, meeting / even planning) to identify / resolve issues that would affect the guest experience.
• Identified issues of concerns, drafting and introducing new measures that lead to improved workflow and processing, contributing to a 20% reduction in expenses.
• Handled inventory control, orders, billing and scheduling of staff in accordance with daily / weekly events. Executive Chef, Hole in the Wall (Catering), San Francisco, CA; 2017-2019 Returned to the family business, leveraging corporate industry experience to assume the BOH leadership role, developing new menus for the restaurants catering operations. Managed and trained a staff of 20 across three (3) facilities.
• Lowered food costs 25% and labor costs 15% while instituting new promotions that contributed to an increase in revenue of 20%. Handled supplier / vendor relations.
• Instituted new practices for improving the inventory of food, beverage and hard goods.
• Established special partnerships with other area businesses / organizations. Supervisor, Food and Beverage, JW Marriott, San Francisco, CA ; June 2016-July 2017 Oversaw all F&B operations for the hotel’s restaurants, lounges, banquet facilities and room service offerings Teamed with other managers regarding the purchase of products (food, alcohol, non-alcohol beverages, small wares) Maintained current knowledge of competitive landscape including incentives and discounts to design proper menus, product mix and pricing.
• Effectively communicated with guests and employees in a friendly and positive manner. Handled all customer service inquiries, resolving issues with timely follow-up.
• Guided employees through in-house training modules, resulting in increased productivity levels and employee satisfaction.
• Delivered insight, expertise and management talents crucial for developing and presenting effective T&D initiatives.
• Teamed with the executive chef and bar manager, crafting daily food and beverage specials as well as planning for special events.
• Managed FOH staff, including room service attendants; drafted schedules and administered departmental payroll.
• Hired as a Cook 3 (line cook) for both restaurant and catering / special events in 2015, promoted to Supervisor role in June 2016. Opening the restaurant kitchen for breakfast.
SAHAR MURAD – PG. 2
Restaurant Manager, Hole in The Wall Pizza / Irving Pizza, San Francisco, CA; 2009-2015 Handled supplier relations, bookkeeping, payroll, inventory control and customer relations for both in-house dining, catering and delivery for the family-owned restaurant with three (3) San Francisco locations.
• Evaluated all revenue by category (food, beverage), finding new methods for curbing waste, labor and pour costs. Restructured cost controls; revamped BOH and FOH processes in accordance with menu adjustments and customer demands / preferences. Created new programs for F&B, including inventory controls.
• Placed internal controls emphasizing operational efficiency and customer experience.
• Handled recruiting, on-boarding and training of customer service staff as well as dishwashers and pizza makers / line cooks.
• Initially started as a customer service associate, assumed a managerial role in 2009
Other Experience- Pantry Cook, Ristobar, San Francisco, CA EDUCATION
AS Culinary Arts, The International Culinary School, The Art Institute of California, San Francisco, CA Coursework: Food and beverage operation management, Culinary Arts: Baking and Pastry, Classical European Cuisine, American Regional Cuisine. Sustainable purchasing and controlling cost, Management by Menu Certification: SERV Safe (Manager-level)
Member, Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas, passed Introductory Course and Examination Member, American Culinary Federation (ACF)
Member, La Chaine Rotisserie, SF Chapter.
Technology: MS Office, UltiPro (Payroll), BevSpot, OpenTable, Kronos, Micros, PixelPoint, Timesaver, Adaco, Delphi, Aloha, Opera, Toast, Tripleseat, Schedulefly, ADP, Paychex; all delivery mobile apps, multiple POS / inventory software packages.