DEBORAH J. KATZ, MBOE, MBB
* * * * ****** R i d g e Court ( 6 1 4 ) 4 5 6 - 9 7 8 0
Apex, NC 2 7 5 0 2 d j k a t z b email@example.com om
Certified Lean Six Sigma practitioner with 20+ years healthcare experience in leading and implementing quality improvement to meet system strategic goals and objectives. Career Highlights and Accomplishments
• Development and deployment of Lean Quality Improvement Program leadership. Experienced in leading successful improvement model deployments and interdepartmental project teams in three health systems, representing multiple entities and business models.
• Facilitation of strategic plan development to prioritize tactics to align with organizational goal attainment. Primary focus on leveraging lean management framework with senior leadership to build employee and patient engagement and improve organizational core competencies in quality management.
• Effective quality improvement coach with experience in data analytics, financial management and change leadership style to facilitate developing people to solve problems and improve performance
• Strong business background that includes an entrepreneurial business start-up and ownership receiving preferred vendor and recognition as community business development leader. Education
Master of Business in Operational Excellence (MBOE) The Ohio State University, Fisher School of Business, Columbus, OH Master Black Belt and Black Belt Certifications (MBB, LSSBB) Breakthrough Management Group, Inc. Denver, CO
Bachelor of Science. Graduate with Honors.
Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI
UNC Johnston Health, Smithfield, NC (affiliate of UNC Healthcare) (2016-present) Director of Operational Excellence
Accountable for the development, deployment and sustainment of Johnston Health System Operational Excellence initiatives as a strategy to achieve annual system goals. This includes designing and implementing an internal lean certification training programs, overseeing lean projects and developing the lean daily visual management operating system. This yields an average of 18 completed improvement projects and 20 lean workshops annually that includes all departments and staff levels (executive, middle managers, front-line and providers/contractors).
• Manage Operational Excellence Department operations with direct reporting to CEO.
• Trained, coached and mentored 70+ department teams to implement and utilize lean visual boards to solve daily problems and improve process performance.
• Partner with Quality Assurance and clinical teams to facilitate annual FMEA and patient safety projects using lean and six sigma improvement methods to support achieving annual goals. Mercy College of Ohio (2019 to present)
Contracted with the college to develop and teach a new on-line course: Quality Improvement in a Changing Healthcare Environment as part of their Masters of Healthcare Administration course curriculum. Served on initial MHA curriculum development team that designed and submitted MHA program for academic accreditation application in 2015.
Mercy Health, Cincinnati, OH (2008 to 2016)
Corporate Director Operational Excellence
Internal consultant reporting directly to senior leadership. Responsible for cultivating continuous improvement patient safety culture through lean management improvement science to achieve corporate strategic goals within the largest health system in Ohio. Responsible for consulting in 3 regional markets which included average of 6 hospitals annually and spanned over 18 inpatient hospitals, multiple clinics and ancillary outpatient departments.
• Managed and led system initiatives to translate corporate strategic goal attainment in regional markets. Consistently achieved annual operational savings between $250K-$1.5M cumulatively through facilitated lean projects by leading with regional and local leadership teams.
• Facilitated change leadership teams to adopt lean six sigma into operations which included establishing standard measurement systems, leadership rounding and visual management tools.
• Facilitated multiple workshops annually which included: Lean A3 thinking, Value Stream Mapping, Kaizen, PDSA events. Key improvement events included: Reducing Patient Readmissions, Increasing Post-Acute Care Physician Referrals within Network, Medication Management, Labor Management/Staff Scheduling, Comprehensive Stroke Program Development, ED Patient Throughput, Employee Services Portal, and Home Health Care Services.
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Winston-Salem, NC (2004-2008) Director, Lean Six Sigma Black Belt
Selected candidate to perform on dedicated team deploying lean six sigma improvement at this 800 bed academic medical center. Responsible for managing interdepartmental projects realizing a minimum $200,000 annual savings goal and facilitating team development and organizational learning of process management principles.
• Systematically applied DMAIC project management model to increase operational efficiency, improve metrics on assigned projects.
• Dedicated Black Belt resource to Human Resources division to align projects to annual strategic goals of improving employee engagement and retention.
• Selected lead trainer of Process Management Principles workshops, the mandatory training curriculum for creating culture of disciplined process improvement.
• Provided Continuous Improvement Overview workshops to executive leadership, project sponsors, team members and project stakeholders to build awareness and success of lean six sigma improvement culture. Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Winston-Salem, NC (1997–2004) Manager, Materials Management Information Systems
First-time hire to lead deployment of Materials Management Information Systems department. Performed as core team leader responsible for identification of business requirements to automate purchasing, inventory management, receiving and accounts payable transactions through implementation of PeopleSoft Enterprise Resource Planning
Provided project plan management, facilitated user acceptance testing, developed report writing criteria, end- user needs assessments and daily transaction monitoring. Managed continuous improvement action plans to optimize workflow resulting in 30% increased daily productivity and cost savings.
Led continuously optimization for ERP system modules, including coordination of software upgrades with end- users and providing custom training sessions and facilitating optimization meetings. Additional Recognition and Accomplishments
Recipient of 2019 UNC Johnston Health “You Make a Difference Award” Awarded favorite LEAN Coach Serve as Medication Management PGY2 Ambulatory Residency Preceptor Individual Development Mentor/Coach-Advisor Lean Curriculum Development for Non-Profit organization Recognition for Quality Improvement ROI savings Founder, Small Business Association Toastmasters Public Speaker Award Woman’s Executive Business Development Mentor
Computer Competencies include: Microsoft Office, Minitab, QI Macros, Visio, PeopleSoft (Financials and Human Resources), Sterling Commerce (EDI), basic query-writing. Project highlights available upon request.