• Rich research experiences in additive manufacturing, theoretical and experimental study of advanced materials.
• Strong problem-solving and self-learning skills, with interest in analytical and numerical techniques.
• Compatible person with good collaboration and communication skills.
• Expected to graduate in May 2021 and willing to relocate anywhere in the US. Education
• University of Southern California (USC)
Ph.D. candidate in Civil Engineering (GPA: 3.9/4.0) Aug. 2017-present. M.S. student in Computer Science (GPA: 3.8/4.0) Feb. 2020-present.
• Beihang University (BUAA)
M.S. degree in Aerospace Science and Technology (GPA: 3.9/4.0) Sept. 2014-Mar. 2017. B.E. degree in Spacecraft Design and Engineering (GPA: 3.9/4.0) Sept. 2010-Jul. 2014. Technical Skills
• Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) and Design (CAD) Software Abaqus (skilled), Ansys, Patran Nastran; SolidWorks (skilled), Catia V5, AutoCAD.
• Programing Language
• Other Software
MATLAB (skilled), Microsoft Office (skilled), ImageJ, Photoshop CC, Origin lab, Latex, Angular, HTML/CSS.
• Experimental Skills
3D printing with Stereolithography (SLA) and Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM); Mechanical testing with Instron and Dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA); Bacterial culturing and Bio-mineralization; Operating optical microscope, Scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR). Research Projects
• Mineralization-induced Self-reinforcement Hydrogel Dec. 2019-Aug. 2020. Manufactured UV curable hydrogel; attached enzyme inside the polymer network; carried out theoretical and experimental study on the biomineralization-induced enhancement of hydrogels.
• Growing Living Composites with 3D-printed Ordered Microstructures Jul. 2019-Mar. 2020. Presented a methodology to manufacture bionic mineralized composites by harnessing guided bio-mineralization within 3D-printed highly ordered polymer scaffold. Highlighted an exciting opportunity for future bionic composite materials by tailoring interactions between living organisms and 3D-printed synthetic materials.
• Bone-inspired Healing of 3D-Printed Ceramics Feb. 2018-Jun. 2019. Conducted experiments on autonomous healing of broken ceramics with carbonate-precipitating bacteria; Observed good mechanical behavior as well as thermal and chemical resistance on the healed interfaces of ceramics; Performed a theoretical study to understand the healing mechanism.
• Effect of Temperature Change on the Deformation of Building Walls Apr. 2018-Jul. 2018. Implemented a model based on ABAQUS to study the bending deformation of building walls under thermal load. With the temperature increasing, the wall showed unexpected deflection, which could be mainly caused by the different thermal expansion coefficient of inner and outer layers.
• Study on Mechanical Behaviors of Electrophoresis induced Hydrogel Adhesion Oct. 2017-Feb. 2018. Project Sponsored by Air Force Office of Scientific Research Young Investigator Program Established an analytical framework to model the electrophoresis-induced reversible adhesion; Obtained good agreements between the theoretical and the experimental results for the hydrogel adhesion and adhesion releasing.
• Study on Extracellular Matrix of Pancreatic Tissue Sept. 2017-Dec. 2017. Modeled 3D elastomeric structures using Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to study the biomechanical response and buckling behavior of the resected pancreatic tissues (soft materials).
• Study of Fastener Effect on Composite (CFRP) Bolted Joints Sept. 2015-Aug. 2016. Built a progressive damage model (including failure criteria and material degradation rules) based on FEA using ABAQUS/UMAT to investigate the mechanical behaviors (especially secondary bending and failure mode effectiveness) in single-lap and double-lap bolted composite joints with different fastener types.
• Key Techniques of Composite Structure Design and Analysis Jul. 2014-Aug. 2015. Project Sponsored by Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China, Ltd. (COMAC) Summarized Fatigue Characteristics Analysis and Test Methods in Metal/Composite Hybrid Joints; Conducted static and fatigue tests on metal/composite hybrid joints and structures through Instron based on ASTM standards. Course Projects in Computer Science
• Grain Tracking based on Highly Parallel DBSCAN Oct. 2020-Dec. 2020. Simulated the sintering processes of aluminum nitride nano powders based on parallel molecular dynamics. The output data is further analyzed using a Density Based Spatial Clustering of Applications with Noise technique.
• Stock-searching Applications Aug. 2020-Nov. 2020. Developed a stock-searching web application (https://stock-search-axin-app.wl.r.appspot.com) based on Flask, Angular, Bootstrap, AJAX, HTML/CSS, and Node.js; deployed the web application on Google Cloud Platform.
• Hand-written Digits Classifier based on a Multi-layer Perceptron Neural Network Mar. 2020-May. 2020. Constructed a multi-layer perceptron neural network (with forward and backpropagation) independently and used it to classify hand-written digits; MNIST dataset was used to train and test the neural network.
• AI Agent for Little-go Gaming Feb. 2020-Apr.2020. Developed an AI agent to play a small version of the Go game, with a reduced board size, based on no-suicide and KO rules. Minmax algorithm with alpha-beta pruning was used and defeated the pre-designed players. Experiences
• Teaching Assistant at University of Southern California Jan. 2020-present. TA for Finite Element Analysis (Graduate Course) and Mechanics of Deformable Bodies (Undergraduate Course); held the lab class and discussion session independently; supervised students with their homework problems.
• Engineering Intern at Beijing Zhongqing (CoClean) Technologies Co., Ltd. Apr. 2017-Jul. 2017. Gathered data for the air purifier tests; helped writing and translating patents and technological reports. Honors and Extra-curricular Activities
• 1st-Year Fellowship Scholarship University of Southern California
• Outstanding Graduates Scholarship, 1st-Prize Graduate Scholarship Beihang University
• National Scholarship Ministry of Education of China
• Student leader of the visiting mission to the NUS and NTU in Singapore Aug. 2015.
• Volunteer for the 64th International Astronautical Congress in Beijing Sept. 2013.
• International exchange project to France and Germany Aug. 2013. Publications
. An Xin, Yipin Su, Shengwei Feng, Minliang Yan, et al., Growing living composites with ordered microstructures and exceptional mechanical properties, Advanced Materials, 2006946, 2021.
. Kunhao Yu, Zhangzhengrong Feng, Haixu Du, An Xin, et al., Photosynthesis Assisted Remodeling of Three- Dimensional Printed Structures, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 118(3), 2021.
. An Xin, Kunhao Yu, Runrun Zhang, Bingyuan Ruan, et al., Bone-Inspired Healing of 3D-Printed Porous Ceramics, Materials Horizons, 7 (8), 2130-2140, 2020.
. An Xin, Haixu Du, Kunhao Yu, Qiming Wang, Mechanics of Bacteria-Assisted Extrinsic Healing, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 139, 103938, 2020.
. An Xin, Runrun Zhang, Kunhao Yu, Qiming Wang. Mechanics of Electrophoresis-Induced Reversible Hydrogel Adhesion, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 125,1-21, 2019.
. Kunhao Yu, An Xin, Haixu Du, Ying Li, Qiming Wang, Additive Manufacturing of Self-Healing Elastomers, NPG Asia Materials, 11, 7, 2019.
. Alexa Hudnut, Lian Lash-Rosenberg, An Xin, Juan Doblado, et al., Role of extracellular matrix in the biomechanical behavior of pancreatic tissue, ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 4, 1916-1923, 2018. Personal Information
• Languages: Native speaker of Mandarin, fluent in English.
• Portfolio: https://sites.google.com/view/an-xin10182020/about-me
• Google Scholar Page: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&view_op=list_works&gmla=AJsN- F6izF69nFrmdAQmP5gdWPV_WSSyuscMxi5pA2Ff5QkFKw66be7rtEMmijRXoVyVNgOUlG4iO2Fe6mDxPi__srgCKS- fXA&user=gmKjLncAAAAJ