Charles (Skip) Brunner Smith Jr
https://www.linkedin.com/in/skip-smith email@example.com SENIOR/PRINCIPAL MECHANICAL ENGINEER/DESIGNER
Talented and established in the arts of applying mechanical experience, scientific knowledge, CAD and CAE to develop and execute practical solutions in EPC and R&D environments. Experienced, collaborative and dedicated to finding innovative, cost-effective and pragmatic solutions to improve engineering techniques, procedures, products and technologies. A team player eager to get involved that enjoys mentoring, learning new technologies, a hands-on cooperative approach and sharing expertise and knowledge; possessing an extensive, proven track record of participating with and leading cross-functional teams and contributing to projects requiring custom solutions in highly regulated, safety and reliability critical domains. TECHNICAL SKILLS
New Product Development Design Vetting R&D FMECA Reliability Prototype Design Testing Documentation Product Certification Defect Investigation RCA Continuous Improvement 6σ CAD ANSYS Abaqus Parametric Design Design Intent GD&T SolidWorks PDM AutoCAD CAE C C++ C# Visual Basic .NET Framework SQL OpenGL VBA Microsoft Office Suite Interpersonal Communication Team Development Leadership Problem-Solving Critical Thinking PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Oceaneering International (OIE), Houston, TX 2005 – 2020 Senior Product Development (NPD/R&D) Engineer - New Product Development Group 2013 – 2020 Examined, assessed, scrutinized and vetted proposed intellectual property (IP) initiatives related to innovative products/services aimed at enabling technologies and increased market shares. Mentored less experienced engineers, designers and analysts across three continents promoting and enforcing adherence to accepted industry standards (e.g., ASME, API, NACE, AISC; ABS, DNV; IEC, ATEX) and best engineering practices.
• Managed engineering documentation and deliverables; evaluated and approved design changes, specifications and drawing releases; exceeded MBO metric requirements (>95%) for on-time delivery.
• Applied RCA to address/resolve internal/external nonconformance (NC) and warrantee issues; achieved 100% success rate regarding NC and warrantee resolutions and exceeded on-time delivery MBO metrics (>95%).
• Cooperated with OEMs to customize products; enabled/achieved strategic goals and mutual market opportunities. Applied FMECA and created best available qualifying technology for harsh environments.
• Accomplished leading-edge technological innovations related to traditional and Open Water Intervention, Workover and Completion Systems (IWOCS) resulting in increased company revenues and services.
• Created and designed novel techniques that eliminated confined space entry permit requirements during offshore override operations of locked IWOCS Reel Drums preventing personnel and equipment hazards.
• Coordinated OEMs; applied FMECA and API 17Q to marinize a standard 15 ksi (1 kbar) diaphragm pump for subsea chemical injection applications. Proved prototype operation under 10 kft (3000 m) hyperbaric conditions; managed development and manufacture of first of its kind subsea electronic pumping module.
• Created and implemented electro-hydraulic control system for overriding and operating typical OEM coiled tubing injectors aimed at establishing/enabling Offshore Open-Water Coiled Tubing (OWCT) products and services for deep water missions.
Lead Engineer / Engineering Manager - High-Performance Cable (HPC) Division 2009 – 2013 Directed and mentored efforts of engineers, analysts, designers and test personnel for a Division Start-Up. Exercised supervisory responsibilities. Assigned, examined and reported work assignment completions.
• Collaborated with Product, Procurement and Manufacturing Management; conducted materials research, design specification and development of ROV Umbilicals, Tethers and other specialized cable assemblies.
• Managed as technical SME for material selection, engineering practices, value engineering, and technology evaluation; initiated and enforced QC standards and Continuous Improvement (6σ) measures.
• Designed advanced test equipment to perform cyclic bending under tension, fatigue resistance, hyperbaric pressure, crush, ultimate strength and torsional/elongation response measurements of ROV Umbilicals, Tethers and cabling components resulting in average cost savings >$20K per sample as opposed to using external testing facilities, saving company approximately $240K per year over a two (2) year period. Charles (Skip) Brunner Smith Jr firstname.lastname@example.org Page Two Engineering Analysis Group Manager - Blow-Out Preventer (BOP) Controls Group 2008 – 2009 Managed, coordinated, scheduled and reported production activities of engineers, analysts, and designers.
• Established guidelines; trained engineers, analyst and designers on how to create efficient and complete design packages through structured requirement objectives and best engineering principles and practices.
• Generated and coordinated preparation of design documentation for internal and external customers; methodologically attained regulatory approvals and compliance (e.g., ABS, DNV, ASME, API) as required.
• Allocated personnel resources and provided technical oversight on design and validation of components and large scale, complex assemblies and systems; surpassed MBO expectations (>90%) by 20%. Assistant Chief Engineer - Special Projects Group (SPG) 2007 – 2008 Directed and coordinated the output and schedule activities of engineers, analyst and designers.
• Authored proprietary corporate engineering policies and procedures; effectively enforced procedural utilization, design review efficiency and ensured documentation satisfied minimum standard requirements.
• Effected stage-gate procedures for communicating project requirements/progress across two continents.
• Identified and implemented improvements to existing engineering practices, procedures and analytical tool (CAE) techniques; exceeded MBO projections (>90%) by 15%.
• Analyzed/redesigned OEM’s substandard Manned Saturation Diving Bell Launch and Recovery System; accomplished ABS certification; turned idle offshore ship rate losses into $100K net daily utilization profits. Senior Engineering Analyst - Multiflex (Umbilical Solutions) Division 2005 – 2007 Participated in all aspects concerning sales, design, analysis, manufacturing, testing and installation of subsea umbilicals and related equipment. Processed internal and external client inquiries and specifications.
• Established and held responsible for defining divisions’ global performance relating to design, analysis and testing of subsea static and dynamic umbilicals. Normalized and authored divisions’ global practices generating improved client (e.g., Shell, ExxonMobil, bhp Billiton) perceptions of divisions’ umbilical product analysis and design expertise ultimately resulting in FEED studies and increased contract awards.
• Comprehensively applied industry accepted CAE products and classical theory to demonstrate strength, fatigue, and on-bottom stability compliance in accordance with industry standards and best practices. Optimized and/or eliminated additional project cost associated with VIV Strakes, Buoyancy/Weight Modules and/or Anchors and Trenching requirements.
• Acted as Principal Engineer on a task force to review, troubleshoot, diagnose and mitigate OEM design flaws and facilitate overhaul and renovation of world’s largest contemporary Steel Tube Planetary Cabling Machine. Worked closely with Project Manager to reduce downtime and bring idle umbilical manufacturing plant online approximately nine months ahead of schedule resulting in multi-million-dollar contract awards. ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Vetco Gray Inc. (Currently GE Oil & Gas), Houston, TX 1997 – 2005 Principal Design Engineer - Projects Group 2003 – 2005 Senior Design Engineer - Projects Group 2001 – 2003 Project Engineer III - Research and Development (R&D) 1997 – 2001 EDUCATION
• Bachelor of Science (BS), Mechanical Engineering, Minor in Computer Science (36 semester hours), Texas A&M University, Kingsville; Graduated Summa Cum Laude (Overall GPA: 3.96/4.00)
• Bachelor of Science (BS), Physics, University of Texas, Austin MAJOR AWARDS / PATENTS
• 2001 Co-Recipient of Meritorious Engineering Award for Excellence in Engineering.
• Awarded acknowledgment for three (3) US Patents (one (1) as sole inventor while working for Vetco Gray).
• Served and/or participated on Oceaneering’s Patent and Intellectual Property Review Committee approximately nine years (accumulated); bound by personal ethics not to discuss trade secrets and/or provisional/awarded patents, whether directly or indirectly involved.