ARNOLD "A. J." JOHNSON HOLM
Sacramento, CA 95818
Community leader with strong financial, contracts management and business development experiences across multiple industries, including; Healthcare, public health, higher education and non profit. Overall goals are to help grow organizations and programs that make a difference. Willing to relocate: Anywhere
Authorized to work in the US for any employer
Director, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs California Northstate University - Elk Grove, CA
March 2020 to September 2020
Successfully developed initial Office of Research & Sponsored Programs (ORSP), California Northstate University. Institution signatory for all extramural funding agencies. Advise principal investigators and University on researching funding opportunities databases and applications, awards, and programs and financial reporting. Acting compliance officer. Institutional Review Board (IRB), coordinator. Certified, IRB via CITI Program 2020. Consultant/Contractor
@HolmConsulting - Sacramento County, CA
January 2013 to February 2020
Consulting, pro-bono, short term and contract assignments, (see groups with *) including:
• RTI Intl, FDA Center for Tobacco Products, - Recruited and engaged participants, in obtaining the third wave of opinions on the federally funded Public Education Campaign on Tobacco among LGBT youth. Managed cash incentives, create venue reports and upload through tablet. Successfully applied IRB and related human subjects confidentiality and protocols.
• Covered California, Certified Agent - Consulted clients on options available through the CA health exchange. As a HealthMarkets Certified Insurance Broker, analyzed needs and options for clients for affordable health care, utilizing dozens of portals and platforms.
• Global Fine Arts Awards - Inaugural leadership team in creating initial relationships, sponsorships, social media and planning.
Contracts Manager (Public Analyst IV)
California Department of Public Health / University of California, San Francisco - Sacramento, CA 2005 to 2012
Managed upwards of 20 contracts, full cycle in RFP preparations, peer review, negotiations, reporting and payments. Fund, budgets, policy and reporting for all 134 active contracts. WORK EXPERIENCE
Lead member of the technology work group for the On-line Tobacco Information System (OTIS), provided state-wide training's on contracts, budgets, policies and guidelines.
Presented at the National Conference for Tobacco or Health (NOTCH), 2009.
American Public Health Association, paper “Leveraging an information management system to address the evaluation and management challenges of a state tobacco control program” co-author, 2010. Contracts Manager, (Analyst III)
University of California, San Francisco - San Francisco, CA 2001 to 2005
(Includes 3 of 4 promotions / reclassifications)
Contracts Manger (Analyst III) - Manager of City and County of San Francisco Contracts for Division of Addiction Medicine and Department of Psychiatry -
• Oversight of contracts, MOU, purchasing and accounting staff. Budgets management in excess of $5 million dollars. Research Services Analyst (Analyst II) -
• As one of the first Research Services Analyst (RSA) for San Francisco General Hospital, Department of Medicine, I took on additional responsibility of three division's budgets, extramural funds, personnel, purchasing and financials.
• Supported approximately 12 principal investigators, three divisions in their research and public programs funding budgets management in excess of $4 million dollars.
• Pilot project - Research Services Analyst - Responsible for three division contracts and grants, supporting a dozen principal investigators and twenty five active fund accounts in excess of $4.5 million dollars.
• Designed and Created financial processes into People Soft (electronic processes) a Department and UC model program. Department Budget Analyst (Analyst I) -
• Acting Division Administrator, Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine Administrative Assistant III -
• Successfully assisted a principal investigator with their federal application and award of $1 million dollar multiple year research federal grant application, including; budget, budget justification and related UC, state and federal requirements. Bachelors of Arts in Organizational Communications California State University, Sacramento - Sacramento, CA Masters of Public Health in Management
Drexel University - Sacramento, CA
• Budget Management (10+ years)
• Business Development (10+ years)
• Contract Management (10+ years)
• Team Building (10+ years)
• Client Relationship Management (10+ years)
• Systems Design (10+ years)
• Research (10+ years)
• Excel (10+ years)
• Powerpoint (8 years)
• Customer Service
• Communications (10+ years)
• Microsoft Outlook
• Database Development
• Media Planning
• Business Analysis
• Process Improvement
• Software Testing
• PeopleSoft (5 years)
• Financial Report Writing
• Salesforce (2 years)
• Project Management (10+ years)
Staff Performance Award
I received my second Staff Performance Award, by the California Department of Public Health, Tobacco Control Program for efforts and leadership in process improvements with systems, budgets and administration processes in overall costs savings and technology developments.
Staff Performance Award
I received my first Staff Performance Award, by the Department of Medicine, for reduction in more than $200,000 general ledger overdrafts, taking on additional responsibility in fund management, and streamlining paper processes in developing Peoplesoft (full cycle accounting, grants and personnel software, Beta testing and development). Research Administration Program, University of California, San Francisco Present
Nine course certification program, University of California, San Francisco, Department of Medicine. Courses included: Budgets, Accounting, Personnel, General Ledger, Research Administration, Research Subject Confidentiality and Protocols, Certificate,
Client Server Technology (Databases), San Francisco State University Present
A year program, 32 CEU units in developing databases, included development of financials and non profit systems. Spanish Language & Culture, University of Barcelona Present
A year program, courses included Spanish language and culture, art history, and ancient Iberian history, Management & Leadership Skills: Planning & Execution — Highly Proficient October 2019
Planning and managing resources to accomplish organizational goals. Full results: Highly Proficient
Project Management Skills: Budgeting — Highly Proficient October 2019
Managing project budgets by appropriately allocating and monitoring financial resources. Full results: Highly Proficient
Indeed Assessments provides skills tests that are not indicative of a license or certification, or continued development in any professional field.
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES
Rainbow Chamber Foundation, Vice President *
August 2018 to Present
Advocating, community engagement and development for youth scholarship programs Sacramento Loaves & Fishes *
October 2012 to Present
Volunteer community outreach, business development, and donor relations. Sacramento Food Bank *
Folsom Cordova Community Partnership, Board of Director, Secretary * Saint John's Program for Real Change *
American Public Health Association
“Leveraging an information management system to address the evaluation and management challenges of a state tobacco control program”
Co-authored, and researched in the success of the California Tobacco Control Program's (CTCP), Online Tobacco Information System (OTIS), in significant improvement in management of programs, contract negotiations, evaluation and paper reduction.
COMPUTER AND TECHNICAL SKILLS:
Experienced, intermediate to advance levels with Microsoft (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint), Google and other suites. Non Profit, State and UC accounting, budgets and reporting systems. Enjoy creating PowerPoint presentation and training tools.
Project Management and Business Analyst Skills; Peoplesoft, Salesforce, Springbrook and proprietary software development.
A Native Californian, lifelong student, researcher and educator with strong ties to Sacramento, I enjoy playing tennis, working out, volunteering, and spending time with friends and family.