Medical & Electronics R&D Engineer Profile
• +1-323-***-**** • Los Angeles, CA
An ambitious, enthusiastic, driven graduate with immense ability to analyze and tackle electronics and biomedical engineering problems and provide designing solutions involving experimental design and proof-of- concept, IC design and layout, and revamping products. Confident and highly motivated professional with versatile expertise in biomedical instrumentation/electronics and implants design, mixed-signal circuit design, PCB design, and microfabrication. Possess a strong knowledge of Electronics and IC design along with superior skills driving all R&D functions to meet end-user needs. Dynamic team-player with proficiency leading interdisciplinary teams in planning and execution to achieve quality project objectives. Education
Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (On-going) University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA Awards: RA/TA
Master of Science in Microsystems Engineering – In assistance with MIT (2018) Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (Now Khalifa University), Abu Dhabi, UAE Awards: Full Scholarship
Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering - ABET Accredited (2016) Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan Awards: 1-year Scholarship from the Higher Ministry of Education Career Experience
University of Southern California – Integrated Medical Electronics Laboratory, Los Angeles, CA 2019 – Present Graduate Research Assistant
• Project – Neural-Electronic Implant Design in 180nm SOI: o Deliver exceptional approach to design implantable Neural-Front-Ends for sensing of brain sub-cortical activity in 180nm SOI.
New York University Abu Dhabi – Integrated Bioelectronics Laboratory, Abu Dhabi, UAE 2018 – 2019 Research Assistant
• Project – mm-Sized Implantable Glucose Sensor for Diabetes Control in 180nm SOI: Performed microelectrode fabrication, electrodes electroplating/coating, electrical/mechanical characterization, partial IC design of a tape-out in 180nm CMOS SOI IBM technology, and device integration as well as measurement. P a g e 2 2
o A project funded by the ADEC Award for Research Excellence (AARE) under the title “Millimeter-size Implantable Glucose Sensor for Diabetes Control”
• Project – Smart Oral Cavity Wearable Sensor: Led multiple functions, including analog front-end schematic/PCB design, characterization, electrodes coating, and microelectrode fabrication. o Designed and developed a smart oral cavity sensor to be implemented on a flexible substrate while close coordination with Indiana State university and NYUAD. Masdar Institute of Science and Technology – RF Microelectronics Lab, Abu Dhabi, UAE 2016 – 2018 Graduate Research Assistant
• Project – mm-Sized Skin-Cancer Detection Integrated Circuit in 65nm LPE: Took a dynamic role to conceptualize a novel Melanoma detection IC using near-field imaging. Delivered exceptional approach to devise comparator circuit with newly proposed auto-zero technique for offset-cancellation with no form of calibration. o Designed a 100 KHz 10-bit SAR ADC with offset-cancellation in 65nm LPE while utilizing three state-of- the-art low-power techniques.
o Devised and created a chip to detect early-stage melanoma utilizing near-field Terahertz imaging. Publications
Alafghani, T.; Mandloi, N.K.; Ha, S.: 'Adaptive-stage rectifier for mm-scale implants', Electronics Letters, 2020, 56, (2), p. 66-68, DOI: 10.1049/el.2019.2307 IET Digital Library, https://digital- library.theiet.org/content/journals/10.1049/el.2019.2307 Additional Experiences
Engineering Research Intern - SPIKE/ IAESTE Program, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology, FRUITS Laboratory, Ulsan, South Korea
Analog Circuit Design - Cadence Mixed-Signal Electronics PCB Design – Altium/Eagle Microfabrication - Clean room Microscopy Cell Cultures Arduino Python Biomedical Electronics – Wearables/Implant Design Microsoft suites Honors & Awards
Student union president of the Jordan University of Science and Technology (JUST). Chairman of the IEEE-EMB JUST student branch chapter - Jordan section. Awarded a distinguished startup project honor plaque, for submitting the best startup project in a 4-month leadership training program.