BRANDON D. JOHNSON
HUMAN RESOURCES CONSULTANT
Driven HR consultant and business partner with 8 years’ experience providing proactive HR operational consulting and service within non-profit, private, public, academic, and retail environments. Demonstrated success with organizational assessment and problem-solving, HR implementation and the development of HR strategies, metrics, policies and practices that lead to organizational and operational effectiveness and cost savings for small and large employers. Effective communicator; trains and develops employees, supports employment initiatives/efforts to build morale, and engages customers and leadership to create exceptional experiences for various stakeholders.
HR Problem Resolution
HR Assessment & Analysis
HR Operations Best Practices
HRIS Implementation and Management
Written / Oral Communication
Customer / Guest Service
Performance / Talent Management
Recruiting / Hiring / Onboarding / Developing
Policy & Procedure Implementation
MS Office Suite Proficient
Training & Learning Management
DETROIT EMPLOYMENT SOLUTIONS CORPORATION, Detroit, MI May 2018 through Present Human Resources Business Partner (May 2019 – Present)
• Successfully engaged employees by establishing and moderating affinity groups specifically geared toward coping with grief and living in isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Evaluated and provided feedback to senior leadership on the staffing strategy and plan to anticipate departmental needs and identify resources for all levels within the organization.
• Instituted a wellness program for the organization by enhancing the total rewards package and benefits offerings to include wellness initiatives.
• Launched a volunteerism initiative to encourage employees to give time to better the community in anticipation of the upcoming season of giving.
• Developed, implemented, and managed a comprehensive performance management system, successfully setting and monitoring goals and objectives aligned with the strategic priorities of the organization.
Human Resources Generalist (May 2018 – May 2019)
• Created policies and procedures for administrators, employees, and supervisors around use of the payroll and core HR system to establish a streamlined process and improved communication, resulting in a clearer line-of-sight.
• Successfully gathered requirements and implemented a new payroll and core HR system.
• Served as subject matter expert for payroll processing initiatives for 2000 people, including regular full-time, and temporary, summer youth employees.
• Researched and procured a new benefits broker, deploying additional benefits to assist the organization in becoming a more attractive employer of choice.
• Established a comprehensive performance management process to ensure individuals and departments successfully set goals and objectives aligned with the strategic priorities of the organization.
TARGET, Toledo, OH April 2017 through April 2018
Senior Human Resources Team Leader
• Modeled a culture of compliance to protect Target’s reputation and team by maintaining routines that satisfy federal, state, and local laws, including minor employment laws, meal-and-rest period laws, ADA Accessibility laws, overtime rules, and OSHA laws.
• Planned and executed HR cyclical processes such as hourly team member talent routines, training requirements, hourly team member annual pay and performance, and team member engagement surveys.
• Fostered an environment conducive to learning and growth by encouraging team members to become leaders, incentivizing leadership initiatives, and leading hourly team member and team leader training and development.
• Performed Leader on Duty (LOD) shifts each week to ensure the building is safe and secure, team members are delivering exceptional guest experiences, moneys in the store are accounted for, and Target’s assets are protected.
• Delivered guidance and support for all team leaders and team members for the delivery of Coaching, Counseling, and Corrective Actions to ensure documents are accurate, consistent, and adhere to Target’s Counseling and Corrective Action policy. ERNST & YOUNG, Detroit, MI June 2014 through January 2017 People Advisory Services – Staff Consultant (July 2015 – January 2017)
• Acted as PMO lead/support staff on engagements to ensure the engagement teams had all of the proper resources and tools for success on a training strategy implementation performed for a large banking client; an internal change initiative to improve EY’s change strategy; and a payroll implementation at a carve-out agricultural firm.
• Performed in-depth analyses of ACA ASC 450 compliance for 52 applicable large employers and evaluated their excise tax liability; led as a subject matter resource and communications specialist with the clients and initiated substantial controls for the clients to best stay/become compliant and meet the requirements of the IRS employer mandates.
• Provided an in-depth HR Assessment in 8 weeks for a global technology firm by providing a survey to all of the HR employees and asked them to allocate a percentage to where they spend the most time performing their role to assist the HR organization in identifying, qualifying, and understanding the processes, activities, and associated costs within the HR function.
• Maintained knowledge of trends and changes with laws, regulatory, and compliance requirements around Section 125, healthcare, retirement plans, benefits, compensation, FLSA, FMLA, leaves of absences, PFL, and workers compensation. Human Capital – Intern (June – August 2014)
BRANDON D. JOHNSON
5066 Jamieson Dr. APT H2 Toledo, OH 43613 – email@example.com – 313-***-**** HR CONSULTANT
• Developed project scopes and process taxonomies, as a support specialist, for multiple HR Transformation and HRIS implementations in the media and entertainment industry and communicated next steps with the HC group to align on a timeline and priorities with clients.
• Assisted in the identification and qualification of new HRIS software for a Midwest based insurance company through research and analysis. EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY – HOUSING & RESIDENCE LIFE, Ypsilanti, MI August 2011 through May 2015 Resident Advisor – University Apartments (May 2014 – May 2015)
• Effectively enforced campus and Housing & Residence Life policies to make the campus community a safer place.
• Role modeled leadership skills to help advance residents academically, morally, and socially.
• Actively contributed to a teaming culture by assisting fellow resident advisors with completing their work, conflict mediation between residents, promoting a teaming environment, and genuinely taking an interest in their lives. Office Manager (August 2012 – May 2014)
• Hired, managed, and counseled a staff of 10 individuals, whilst training on customer service, performing clerical duties, and workplace safety to effectively work at the residence hall front desk.
• Advocated for the improvement of the quality and value of Residence Life by aiding in the development of a high performing staff through team building and teaching the importance of effective communication.
• Interfaced with Housing & Residence Life leadership to implement policies and new practices for residents and Office Assistants to improve operations and internal practices.
Resident Advisor – First Year Center (August 2011 – May 2012)
• Organized monthly bulletin board content to help improve beyond the classroom knowledge with residents of the halls.
• Facilitated programs conducive to building campus involvement and the residence hall experience; including: a college prom, a creative art exhibit, a personality and social styles workshop, a scavenger hunt to explore 15 of our college town’s hidden gems, a knitting program, and a program to discuss sexual assault and consent.
IMPERIAL HEALTHCARE CENTRE, Dearborn Heights, MI May 2012 through August 2012 Transportation/Office Assistant
• Scheduled transportation to and from doctor visits for 296 residents of the hospice facility on a weekly rotation.
• Inventoried medical supplies and procured more from the designated vendors; weekly inventory included: oxygen tanks, c-pap/bi-pap machines, gloves, trach kits, wipes, briefs, wheelchairs, bed pans, bariatric beds, and a host of other medical equipment and medications. CVS PHARMACY, Dearborn, MI April 2011 through December 2011 Front Store Associate
• Evaluated customer needs by effectually answering questions about products, prices, and policies.
• Emphasized sales and promotions to better meet market trends. EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND & AFFILIATIONS
EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY, Ypsilanti, MI
Master of Science, Human Resources and Organizational Development Anticipated Graduation Date: April 2021
Bachelor of Science, Individualized Studies
Concentrations: Human Resources Improvement, Corporate/Gender Communication, Applied Business, Liberal Studies Member, Volunteer & Leadership Experience
Province Advisor, TAU KAPPA EPSILON – Great Lakes Province (June 2018 – Present) DJ, THE JUDSON CENTER’S FOSTER CARE AND ADOPTION DIVISION, Children’s Halloween Party (2018 & 2019) Site Leader, EY CONNECT DAY, Boys and Girls Clubs of Southeast Michigan (September 2016) Member, SOCIETY OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT, Michigan Association (May 2016 – Present) Organizer and Volunteer, DAY OF LOVE, South Oakland Shelter (October 2015, October 2016, October 2017) Member, MICHIGAN RA CONFERENCE ENTERTAINMENT COMMITTEE – Eastern Michigan University (November 2014 – March 2015) Historian, TAU KAPPA EPSILON – Eastern Michigan University (January 2014 – December 2014) Facilitator, GREEK LEADERSHIP ACADEMY – Eastern Michigan University (November 1-3, 2013) Production Chair, ST. JUDE - UP ‘TIL DAWN – Eastern Michigan University (September 2013 – December 2013) Service Project Organizer, STUDENT VETERAN ASSOCIATION – Eastern Michigan University (September 2013 – December 2013) Service Chair, TAU KAPPA EPSILON – Eastern Michigan University (January 2013 – December 2013)