MOHAMMED NAEEM SHAIKH
Home: 905-***-**** Cell: (647) 401- 8771
A Technology Management professional, with about over 15 years of extensive experience in all aspects of Technology Services, in large and vibrant organizations.
Experience includes hands on technology services followed by management of medium to large technology services departments in developing and delivering state of the art and fit for purpose services to meet and exceed the goals of large customer facing organizations.
Have regularly kept abreast with industry developments and have striven to maintain regular upgradation of services offered by deploying the latest technology in both hardware and software.
Looking forward to explore and utilize proven technical skills in the area of software development, support, service and maintenance with growth-oriented company. Where high degree of
enthusiasm, strong dedication and contribution to organizational objectives will provide carrier growth.
IBM AIX 7.2, 7.1, 6.1, 5.3, RHEL 6.x,7.x,Sun Solaris 8, 9, 10,HP-UX 10, Windows Server 2008
IBM RS/6000, pSeries Servers p510, p660, p795, e870, s814, s824, Linux X3350, X3690, hpdl580,hpdl380,hpdl460, SUN F-15 k, V440, V420, E6800,
Hortonworks (HDP2.2, HDP 2.3), Cloudera (CDH 4.7, CDH 5.4 )
HDFS, Map Reduce, Yarn, Hive, Hbase, Spark, Zookeeper
Amazon Web Services (AWS), MS Azure
VERITAS Volume Manager 4.x
IBM WebSphere Application Server, MQ Series
TCP/IP, NIS, NFS, DNS, DHCP,SSH, Cisco Routers/Switches, LAN
Oracle 7.0, 8.0, 9i, 10g, 11g, MS-SQL Server 7.0/6.5
Putty, WinScp, Remedy,Servicenow, Ansible
Korn shell scripting
IBM PowerHA Cluster, IBM Tivoli (TSM), Veritas Volume Manager, Veritas Clustering NetBackup, Hitachi CommVault Backup and Storage, Work Load Automation DE from CA Technologies
Project Management Tools
Microsoft Project, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft PowerPoint
IT Service Management
ITIL V3 Service Strategy, Design, Transaction, ITIL V2 Incident
Education and Certifications:
Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Physics)
University of Karachi
Some of the technical industry-recognized certifications achieved are as follows:
IBM Certified System Administrator –AIX 7
HP Certified IT Professional for HP-UX
SUN Certified Systems Administrator for Solaris
Completed Corporate Training for VMware VCP 5.0
Progressing towards Hadoop 2.0 Administration Certificate
Enterprise Infrastructure Services, Data Center Services
Shared Services Canada /Government of Canada March 2019 to Date
• Installed Hardware Management Console HMC - installed dual HMC for redundancy
• Participated in the Implementation of System Security administration policies Systems security administration policies include: User ID/Group ID management, Password policies, File permissions ownership
• As a member of the UNIX team, managed the UNIX AIX infrastructure and provided support for all issues on AIX servers.
• Remotely managed logical partitions through the Hardware Management Console HMC: Create, configure new LPARs, Install and update the operating system through NIM.
• Implemented Dual VIOS for redundancy, NPIV for FC Adapter virtualization, Ether channel and Shard Ethernet adapter for network communication
• Duties included, but not limited to, planning and building new server, installation and patching the operating system, NIM server and HMC upgrades.
• Worked with IBM Engineer during Hardware installation to resolve network connectivity and SAN switch fabric connectivity issues.
•Prepared a document for installation of New HMC which meets SSC standards.
•Prepared a document for the installation of new lpar and explained the process and procedures to be followed as per operational policy to be followed.
•Reviewing AIX and Linux servers build process to make standards security polices for both platforms.
Consultant Big Data (Hadoop)
Platform Engineer (Deloitte Canada) Nov 2018 to Feb 2019
• Advanced experience with Hortonwork Data Platform (HDP) and knowledge of different Hadoop distributions such as Cloudera Distribution of Hadoop (CDH).
• Hands on experience in installation, configuration, supporting and managing Hadoop Clusters using Apache, Cloudera (CDH3, CDH4), Yarn distributions(CDH 5.X).
• Hands on experience in installation, configuration, supporting and managing Hadoop Clusters using Apache, Hortonworks (HDP 2.2, HDP 2.3)
• Hands on experience in installing, configuring, and using Hadoop ecosystem components like Hadoop HDFS, Yarn, MapReduce, HBase, Oozie, Hive, Sqoop, Pig, Flume, SmartSense, Storm, Kafka, Ranger,, Falcon and Knox.
• Assist development team in identifying the root cause of slow performing jobs / queries (HDFS)
• Working experience in securing the Hortonwork Hadoop cluster with Kerberos, TLS/SSL, AD.
• Assist development team in identifying the root cause of slow performing jobs / queries (HDFS)
• Managed and reviewed Hadoop Log files as a part of administration for troubleshooting purposes.
•As an admin followed standard back up policies to make sure the high availability of cluster.
• Hands on with Hadoop administration, security and management of the clusters.
•Involved in analyzing system failures, identifying root causes, and recommended course of actions.
• Performed HDFS cluster support and maintenance tasks like Adding and Removing Nodes without any effect to running jobs and data..
• Experience in understanding the security requirements for Hadoop and integrating with Kerberos authentication infrastructure.
• Documented the systems processes and procedures for future references.
• Communicate and escalate issues appropriately.
Infrastructure Platform Analyst (Big Data)
IBM Canada (Consultant) TD EFAP Project Feb 2017 to Sep 2018
Have successfully delivered 5 + Infrastructure & Remediation projects in compliance with ITIL policies, managed project with a team of 20 members and a budget of $1M-$5M.
Manage budgeting and purchasing activities for technology procurement. Works with Finance and I.T. staff to coordinate the ordering, receiving, and payment activities related to the acquisition of new technology
Provide technical thought leadership on Big Data strategy, adoption, architecture and design, as well as data engineering and modeling.
Managed a team of 25 on-shore and off-shore consultants, provided them technical guidance.
Worked with change management team to approve and schedule the changes.
Sr. Technical Systems Analyst
IBM Canada (Consultant) RBC DICE Project June 2014 to Dec 2016
Managed Check Imaging program, referred to as ‘DICE’.
Responsible for managing developing, testing, defect management, implementing and supporting the RBC cheque imaging applications
Followed System Development Life Cycle (SDLC), Waterfall, and Agile methodology which include implementation and execution with all project teams through all phases, planning, testing.
Ordered new servers for DEV/QA/UAT/IST/DR/PROD environments.
Supported VMware, specifically ESX VSphere 5 to monitor cluster performance, optimize the server environment, diagnose and resolve production issues 2 Data Centers and over 1800 servers.
Senior IT Consultant Oct 2012 to Apr 2014
CGI Canada (UNIX / Hadoop Admin)
• Supported the infrastructure for the company's UNIX based projects.
• Managed a team of 10 Unix Administrators to manage a huge number of UNIX based servers.
• Hands on experience in installation, configuration, supporting and managing Hadoop Clusters using Apache, Cloudera (CDH3, CDH4).
• Managed Big Data framework (HDFS, MapReduce, Hive, Base), have good understanding of distributed system concepts and design.
Infrastructure Technical Lead Jan 2010 to Sep 2012
IBM Canada (Consultant) Loblaw’s
Queue Manager for IPDS UNIX team, managed all problem ticket & service request queues, executed change controls, routine & incident support over 1200 IBM AIX servers.
Have used AIX 6.5 and 7.2 using AIX Power VM, HA and HMC in building and monitoring AIX servers
Used Linux Redhat for installation of Linux servers
Created, updated, and reviewed PMRS and worked closely with IBM project team and application teams for the resolution of the issues.
Supporting and managing IBM pSeries servers (P5/P6) using HMC version 6 and 7.
Coordinating with application teams to schedule AIX maintenance on QA/DEV.
Participating in weekly change control meeting (QRB) to present AIX production change.
Actively participated in meetings with both architectural and operational teams.
UNIX Technical Lead Jul 2009 to Dec 2009
Greater Toronto Airport Authority (GTAA) Toronto, Canada
Built AIX/Sun/HP-UX servers from scratch according to CSC standards and delivered with in a timely manner.
Provided day to day UNIX system administration support for AIX, Sun and HP-UX servers located in two data centers.
Managed tape backups of internal and remote client systems using HP Data Protector and assorted HP tape libraries.
Technical Architect Jun 2008 to Mar 2009
City of Toronto
Technical lead in developing and implementing the data Centre relocation plan for I.T services.
Performed technical analysis and evaluation, and provided architectural hardware and product solutions concerning various projects.
Worked closely with project managers using ITL skills (Project Management/ Service Management/ Incident management) to deploy new projects without any technical delays.
Project Security Administrator (AD/Unix Projects) Sep 2004 – Nov 2007
IBM Canada (Consultant) Manulife Insurance
Managed a team of 8 Unix Administrators, conducted annual performance reviews and assessment, goal-setting and personal development plans
Significant interaction with business users to gather and document requirements, and provided regular project status updates to the senior leadership team
Responsible for defining project timelines, work-effort estimates, milestones, and resource allocation while ensuring project was delivered on time and within budget
Installed, configured, maintained and enhanced system and system support software / hardware (AIX 4.33/5.1/5.2/5.3, Sun Solaris 8, 9 and 10, HP-UX 10)
Ensured 24 x 7 availability and monitoring of all critical systems by establishing rotational team coverage of both in-person and remote resources (access via pager, VPN)
Heavily involved in isolating information security breaches and taking corrective action to protect systems and data assets
Highlights of Personal Attributes:
Excellent interpersonal skills and confident in interacting with management stakeholders at all levels and colleagues in a courteous and professional manner.
Strong leader, Track record of tackling and solving tough business and technical problems.
Outstanding ability and creative problem solving skills in both strategic and tactical areas
A team player with a track record for meeting deadlines
Available on Request
Have Security Clearance: Level 11(Secret) valid till 2028-09-26