James M. Nelson
Medium handle: @jnelson790612 Kaggle: jnelson790612 Active DOD Secret Clearance (2012-2022)
Oracle Broomfield Colorado 08/2018 – 08/2020
Data Scientist level-2
● Providing value for the organization with multiple use cases in predictive modeling/machine learning techniques using text analytics/NLP including the following
o Applied supervised multi-class text classification o Applied unsupervised learning with sentiment analysis (streamed data from twitter) (internal sentiment analysis on 280,000 employee’s responses)
o Topical modeling (created and utilized in a 24-hour deadline for a survey on 280,000 employee’s responses) o Keyword extraction
● Developing Artificial Neural Networks (image classification, text classification, forecasting, CNN, RNN) o Convolutional neural networks
o transfer learning
o sequential modeling
o functional API modeling
● Providing a data engineering like role with helping develop a data lake for the company
● Structured Prediction and Dimensionality Reduction o Applied a predictive algorithm to a large set of variables when trying to predict hardware requirements for new hires (used feature engineering to predict that outcome) Security Walls LLC Denver Colorado 08/2016 - 08/2018 Department of Energy Security Police Officer/System Admin Guarantee Electrical Denver Colorado 06/2016 - 08/2016 Constructional Wiremen-1
Archer Western Denver Colorado 01/2016 - 04/2016 Mechanical laborer-1
United States Marine Corps Camp Pendleton California 08/2012 - 01/2016 Corporal: Tactical Switchboard Operator, Radio Operator
● Supported deployment operations for the 13th MEU. With help desk support to over 1,200 users across multiple domains and classified systems (SIPR, NSANET, and JWICS) including VOIP/VTC systems. Working closely with customers to troubleshoot end-user issues while frequently achieving first contact resolution.
● Supported 0651 Data Network Marines in maintaining network communication for operations on SIPR, and NIPR
● Constructed, operated, and maintained wire networks with cat3/cat5, to link key outposts, control points and headquarters. Installing telephones and switchboards to support these key points.
● Supported the Battalion with over $1.6 mil worth of Radio Controlled Cryptographic equipment on deployment operations in Australia with total personnel of 1,700 Marines for Operations.
● Trained, Supervised, Counseled, Mentored, and looked after the welfare of 7 Junior Marines. MILITARY RECOGNITION
Service Awards: Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Navy Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, Meritorious Mast SKILLS & INTERESTS
Regis University, Denver, Colorado
(Ongoing) M.S. Data Science 3.8/4.0 2019 - Present
(majored) B.S. Computer Information Systems, GPA: 3.45/4.0 2018 – 2019 Metropolitan State University, Denver, Colorado 2016 - 2017 United State Marine Corps, California 2012-2016
● Corporals Course: Selected to participate in an extensive corporal training program focused on future platoon leadership.
● Lance Corporal Seminar: Selected to receive promotional training from Lance Corporal to Corporal.
● Cisco A+: An IT course that covered the fundamentals of network connections and hardware troubleshooting. Metropolitan State University, Denver, Colorado 2011 - 2011 (Joined the Marines after Fall semester) University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado 2010 - 2011